Playoff #1 Bills @ Texans PostGame Thread

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

There is just no way that this offense should have been asking Josh Allen to throw 46 times...no freaking way! and Singletary with only 13 rushes.

This game was the Mr Hyde side of Brian Daboll and he can throw in some trick plays now and again but he can't figure out how to get a solid run game working. Or get the pass plays with proper protections working. 

There was a thread of Daboll getting an interview with the Browns and half of the Bills fans crying about it because they love the guy...I just don't understand why that is.

Or why he should even remain on this coaching staff.

Why Singletary only got 13 rushes is the key to this game. He was on fire and they inexplicably did not feed him. Gore put the fire out. Why he is getting as much play is mind boggling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

In the 3rd quarter the Bills defense went into prevent and the offense put in Frank Gore. They were acting like it was the end of 4th quarter and they needed to protect the lead. There was still a lot of time left. By being conservative and trying not to lose they lost. Bad coaching, poor execution, bad tackling, bad refs = L

it sure seems like it.  

my big complaint is cody ford lettig jj squat run in un contested.  

Just now, jrym515 said:

1 TD against a bottom tier defense.  They played ‘not to lose football’ all year and it caught up to them.  Total choke.  This will be a long offseason. 

Yep.  And I have doubts that it will get much better next year.  Old dogs, new tricks and all that.

ESPN needs to get out of broadcasting NFL games. They simply don’t know how to do it which is why they lean on crutch talking points about Watt and Watson even when the Bills have the ball.

On the Bills side:

- For a first playoff game, I think Josh Allen performed well. Brain farts at times but when we needed plays, he got us to OT and had us in position to win with the field goal before the “penalty.”

- Our WRs were disappointing. Duke made some plays but the Texans secondary has been weak all year. From what I saw, Brown and Beasley were not open very often. 

- We need to invest heavily on OT, CB, and WR this offseason (and we have the picks and cap space to do so). Ford needs to be inside and it is time to find an upgrade over Dawkins. I’m not a big Levi Wallace fan but him being out and relying on Kevin Johnson hurt us. We need a guy for across from Tre. And obviously, we need our own DeAndre Hopkins.

- I am 100% on board with Daboll moving on this offseason. Not even having Singletary in the backfield in overtime allowed The Texans to focus on playing the pass. Singletary was awesome all game. You can’t coordinate like that.

- Add some better talent and let Josh keep developing, we are going to be really, really good next year. Which was always the plan. But we should have won this game this year. I hope that this experience sets us up to be ready for this moment next year.

A frustrating end to the year but I’m excited for this offseason and extra excited for next year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Allen's lack of situational awareness is staggering.

How many times has he taken a sack or grounded the ball knocking us out of field goal range this year?

5? Maybe 6 times?

His football IQ is incredibly low.

Lateraling the ball with over a minute left, searching for a field goal was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen from a QB.

What a load of BS.  The sacks were a direct result of an O-line that was struggling to protect Allen.

As for the lateral did you watch the replay?  There was NO ONE in front of Knox.  If he is heads up on that play he catches the pitch and rumbles for 20 yards down the sideline and gets out of bounds at the end.  That could have been a huge play.  Was it risky?  Sure but IMO it was our unwillingness to take risks in the 4th quarter that cost us the game.

And on those jail breaks masquerading as O-line blocking did you look out into the secondary?  If you had you would have noticed that on almost every one of those plays NO ONE was open down field.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrym515 said:

1 TD against a bottom tier defense.  They played ‘not to lose football’ all year and it caught up to them.  Total choke.  This will be a long offseason. 

We really needed 7 off their turnover. Need to punish teams, like the Pats game. Would of made it a 3 score game.

Easy to say in hindsight, but in the nfl teams are constantly coming back from two scores down. 

Edited by london_bills

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Is that Daboll?  I mean some of those Allen was standing there looking at the guys across from him.  Snaps the ball and the line let's someone through unblocked.  I have to think it's either Josh or the OL that aren't getting the assignments right rather than the playcall.  Given what we've seen even on running plays where 3 guys can't block one guy and get Josh down the field I'm not sure I'd start the blame with Daboll.

Both offensive and defensive lines crapped the bed in the second half. Could have been poor adjustments, but to me I did not see a lot of different looks from the Texans, if anything they did not bring the extra rusher like I thought they would and they were still getting to Allen unblocked, or barely blocked.

The Texans lined their pass rushers wide all game long, that should tell you what they thought of our tackles. Watt schooled everyone in front of him for the most part and played all over the front line.

Our defense stopped getting to Watkins as much in the second half and seemed to lose a step when they had to defend the run a bit. With more time Watkins got into a rhythm - missed tackles turned small gainers into longer ones and 1st downs and they were able to drive the field. Our defense seemed to be able to get them into 3rd and long enough times to force a punt, but got conservative and would give up the first.

I am fine with Edmunds being a spy, but as the case was in run defense he has to avoid playing on his heels, or back-peddling. He needs to shadow that mobile QB, without conceding easy yards in front of him, take good angles, and close on him when he pulls it down - not wait for him to plow him over the 1st down marker. I like that he wraps up, but would like to see him take better angles and get some shoulder into his tackles to drive guys back rather than trying to drag guys down with his arms. He is young, and he will only get better.

Not sure what our team priority needs are, but would have to think that RT, WR, and LB are up there especially with Zo retiring.

Just now, RiotAct said:

Yep.  And I have doubts that it will get much better next year.  Old dogs, new tricks and all that.

i disagree with that.  even with the pre-vent there were too many mental mistakes in the execution that will be worked out as they gain experience as well as additional players in need positions.  

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I don’t want to hear about the play clock, the phantom blindside block. The Bills need to go for the throat when they’re up. Not get conservative. Coaching lost this game, not the refs. 

I agree, but those calls may have changed the outcome

Coaching was not good enough though for sure 

5 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

I am on board in wanting Daboll to go but are we certain McFieldgoal is the answer as the head coach? It starts with him and if that game plan is part of the process then he should follow Daboll out the door as well.  

I know a lot of Bills fans are saying that this offense is reflecting McD.

It really isn't, would McD ask Allen to throw it 46 times? If it were up to McD all the team would do is run the ball. 

4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Allen needs more awareness for sure. 

Spot on. Concern is you can only coach awareness so much, it's an instinct and when instincts kick in he will do what he does. 

I disagree.  Allen needs more help plain & simple.  The lack of a go to big play guy is killing the Bills on Offense.  And the occasional lapses by the O-line caused a lot more problems for the O today then any lack of awareness by Allen.  I mean between devastating holding penalties; leaving Watt UNBLOCKED and missing a routine block on an Allen sweep that would sprung have him for a 20 yard gain is more of a problem then Allen's so called lack of situational awareness.

Allen made a lot of BIG PLAYS in the 4th quarter & in OT.  Sure he made mistakes but he overcame them with even bigger plays.  The same can't be said about WR's dropping passes and TE's/O-linemen missing blocks and getting penalized. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

I am on board in wanting Daboll to go but are we certain McFieldgoal is the answer as the head coach? It starts with him and if that game plan is part of the process then he should follow Daboll out the door as well.  

Mcd is the main reason bills are in the playoffs.

10-6. 16-0 up away from Home at halftime, lost in overtime. 

Any talk of him gone now is madness. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Allen needs more awareness for sure. 

Spot on. Concern is you can only coach awareness so much, it's an instinct and when instincts kick in he will do what he does. 

My hope for the bills fans would be to get Allen some weapons and hope that having more threats on offense would help his awareness and help him realize he doesn’t have to do it all by himself. 

38 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Does this remind any old timers of the 1989 season?  Bills team on the rise losing a close game to Cleveland.  Next season looks to be a brighter one.

The Cleveland loss is definitely closest to how I am feeling after this one

• Like (+1) 3