Sparano on Brian Daboll

wppete

Hmmm, I get this, but his success in the NFL has not been good according to what I have heard, (?) till now as an OC in the league, sometimes it takes time... I guess. Can’t wait to see what he can do with an improved selection of offensive weapons next season, after we win the super bowl this year.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its exactly what I've seen from Josh this year.   He's reading the field way better than last year and he has a much better understanding of where to go.   

I've stated before, that was his biggest improvement from last year.   This video really explains why. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Hmmm, I get this, but his success in the NFL has not been good according to what I have heard, (?) till now as an OC in the league, sometimes it takes time... I guess. Can’t wait to see what he can do with an improved selection of offensive weapons next season, after we win the super bowl this year.

Go Bills!!!

I mean he’s also had garbage at QB until now. Allen is basically the best QB he’s had as an OC. 

2009-2010 Cleveland Browns: Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson/Colt McCoy (32nd & 29th ranked offenses)

2011 Miami Dolphins: Matt Moore/Chad Henne 

(20th ranked offense)

2012 Kansas City: Matt Cassel/Brady Quinn/ Ricky Stanzi

Thats just a list of bad QB’s. He’s finally got one he can develop, give them time together.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Thats just a list of bad QB’s. He’s finally got one he can develop, give them time together.

I'm trying to be patient with these two and hope it becomes a long term solution for the offense. So far it's been a little rocky and I just don't feel like Daboll is a great play caller or schemer. We have a lot of underused weapons on this offense and it lacks creativity and diversity.

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

I mean he’s also had garbage at QB until now. Allen is basically the best QB he’s had as an OC. 

2009-2010 Cleveland Browns: Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson/Colt McCoy (32nd & 29th ranked offenses)

2011 Miami Dolphins: Matt Moore/Chad Henne 

(20th ranked offense)

2012 Kansas City: Matt Cassel/Brady Quinn/ Ricky Stanzi

That’s why I said “till now”  ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

No doubt Daboll is a Belichick disciple, in that he's been cross-trained on both sides of the ball, and values the schematic flexibility to attack defenses in multiple ways. 

I wonder if such multiplicity requires, at least for Daboll's offense, a playbook that is voluminous and intricate to a fault. Smoke Brown has admitted it's the most difficult offense he's ever learned. I'll bet other players feel similarly. Does that result in more errors on the field? More thinking and less play-making? 

Didn't the offense this season seem to hit its stride when they shifted mostly to one personnel package (11-personnel) and a no-huddle approach? You know, when Daboll simplified his gameplans? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

No doubt Daboll is a Belichick disciple, in that he's been cross-trained on both sides of the ball, and values the schematic flexibility to attack defenses in multiple ways. 

I wonder if such multiplicity requires, at least for Daboll's offense, a playbook that is voluminous and intricate to a fault. Smoke Brown has admitted it's the most difficult offense he's ever learned. I'll bet other players feel similarly. Does that result in more errors on the field? More thinking and less play-making? 

Didn't the offense this season seem to hit its stride when they shifted mostly to one personnel package (11-personnel) and a no-huddle approach? You know, when Daboll simplified his gameplans? 

Looked to me less like simplifying and more like finding the group of guys that had the best synchronicity and talent level, and that at the same time stressed the defense more by giving them less time.

7 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I'm trying to be patient with these two and hope it becomes a long term solution for the offense. So far it's been a little rocky and I just don't feel like Daboll is a great play caller or schemer. We have a lot of underused weapons on this offense and it lacks creativity and diversity.

What I find more perplexing from Daboll (and other Bills OCs before) is how hit or miss the play calling can be.  One week, its dynamic, attacking, involves several weapons, mixes passes/runs well...and we win.  Another week, it will be very basic, predictable and uninspiring...and we typically struggle.  2nd Patriots game is a good example, where Singletary was run between the tackles over and over on first down to little effect, keeping the offense bottled up.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

good find, sick of the "fans" thinking hes bum when he 's really smart.

Size up those ‘fans’ and you’ll understand. It won’t keep you from becoming ill, but you’ll be able to spot them earlier and avoid their takes.

I’ve got no issue with Daboll’s player development - he’s clearly a good coach who can develop and improve players on offense. Where I struggle with him is on game planning and play calling between the 40s.  Something happens when the Bills get to midfield - he seems to completely lose his feel for the game and the play calling becomes ridiculous.  Maybe he can fix it, I don’t know.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’ve got no issue with Daboll’s player development - he’s clearly a good coach who can develop and improve players on offense. Where I struggle with him is on game planning and play calling between the 40s.  Something happens when the Bills get to midfield - he seems to completely lose his feel for the game and the play calling becomes ridiculous.  Maybe he can fix it, I don’t know.

Honestly Coach, I think a lot of the problem is Josh's inaccuracy. I've seen plays called where Josh missed on the throw. Or Oline whiffs on blocks.