Concerned about Watt's brace

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought it was ridiculous that the NFL allowed that club on the playing field.  Especially after he used it as such on Tre'

Players have been wielding arm/wrist casts as weapons for decades.  It’s always been acceptable to have a brace or cast.  Go back to the 70s and see how they would put a little foam pad on a cast and them use it like a club. The NFL has never had a problem with it. It’s just the way it’s always been.  Nothing new here. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How did the Pats get two "tripping" penalties called against the Cowboys that the league later conceded "should not have been called"?

I see your point. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Players have been wielding arm/wrist casts as weapons for decades.  It’s always been acceptable to have a brace or cast.  Go back to the 70s and see how they would put a little foam pad on a cast and them use it like a club. The NFL has never had a problem with it. It’s just the way it’s always been.  Nothing new here. 

Players did all sorts of stuff in the earlier days of football that are disallowed now?

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I see your point. 

I'm not saying we should go full-on Pats but IMHO it's totally fair and reasonable to raise a point like

"Look, if our QB slides and gets a head shot, per the rules isn't that supposed to be a penalty, not a 'warning'? How is this not a penalty?"

The more pertinent thing to me is the explanation that the location and style of the brace may not lend itself to misuse so I feel better about that.

14 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agree. He may be a " look at me" type athlete but he's also a decent dude and community hero. Remember Hurricane Harvey? 

I definitely remember Watt's contributions during that awful storm. And in case I ever forget, I'm sure JJ will find a way to tell us all about it.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Players did all sorts of stuff in the earlier days of football that are disallowed now?

Even if JJ Watt knocks out all of Allen’s teeth with his chest brace the NFL won’t do anything. Now, if Brady’s hair was to get messed up, braces will be outlawed the next season. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott wasn't nicknamed "McNasty" because he was a choirboy on the football field.

Deliberately targeting a player after the play is one thing, but there's a reason McDermott keeps as many players as possible off the injury list and is so vague and close-mouthed about specifics of injuries, and it's not because NFL players in general don't exploit each other's known weaknesses and the Bills aren't so "classy" and "high road" as to be above it.  Note that I'm not talking dirty play or targeting, I'm talking within the bounds of normal play you know a guy has a bad knee, you leverage that.

We will just have to disagree.  Does this type of play occur, yes obviously.  But intentionally going after an injured player's weakness feels to me like Greg Williams or Pete Carroll.  Win by beating your opponent, strength vs strength, not win at any cost.  If we have to win that way, then we are not where we want to be

18 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Watt always wears a huge arm brace to begin with...maybe Gronk got roid rage and decided to try and murder White but Watt would NEVER do such a thing, he is pure class.... also he is squeaky clean of roids so no rage to worry about except for his normal farm man 200% nonstop motor on every play.

Also TJ Watt is not a dirty player at all, just a clever sexy beast...

Usually at least 6 months to recovery after torn pectoral surgery ... Watt, 10 weeks? No Roids or HGH?