NFL Attendance Hits a 15-Year Low

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....uh oh......expected?.......officiating?.....cash cow outta milk?....other ideas as to attendance tank?...interesting.......

NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2020, 1:28 PM EST

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person.

According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at home games in 2019. That’s the lowest average since 2004.

The Cowboys averaged 90,929, leading the league for 11 straight seasons. Fifteen teams saw a decline in attendance, led by the Jaguars (8.7 percent drop), Raiders (7.6 percent) and Bengals (7.0 percent).

Two teams saw an increase of more than five percent. Washington’s audience grew by 7.3 percent (the stadium was still at less than 80 percent capacity), and the Bills have a 6.0-percent jump.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/03/nfl-attendance-hits-a-15-year-low/#comments

Happens generationally when the bandwagon teams start to come to an end of their dynasty. If the 49ers and Ravens keep it up those bandwagon fans will jump ship from the pats and other recently successful teams and attendance will return. There arent many teams that have a true following like the bills through thick and thin.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a better view on TV and WAY CHEAPER.

would be cool if you could select the local radio broadcast on the TV. I used to cync up the internet radio with the tv but now there's is some stupid licensing restrictions and it wont play.

10 hours ago, Success said:

70" HDTV's.  Why ever leave the house?

my next TV is going to be 100 !!

11 hours ago, Success said:

70" HDTV's.  Why ever leave the house?

11 hours ago, MJS said:

People prefer to watch the games other ways.

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

...I guess people just prefer watching at home 

11 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

....I can be comfortable in my own home with a great view from a 60” HDTV?

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They made TV too good.

Of course, you all realize the TV experience would be unwatchable if there weren't a real crowd of screaming, rabid fans to get you pumped vicariously.  A real crowd gets the players pumped, too.  TV ratings would plummet without  fannies in the stands. It would be like watching a movie with no background music...you don't know how much it adds until it's not there. Take it from a 30-year season ticket holder: Watching on TV with a room full of friends is great, but nothing compares with being at the game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Estro said:

There is a very simple solution to the dilemma of decreasing attendance at NFL games:

1 - Decrease the price of food/drinks/beers, like the Atlanta Falcons did a couple of years back.

2 - Decrease the price of season tickets by 10-25%

3 - Season ticket holders get a 35% discount on all apparel and merchandise of "their team"

The $$$ that NFL franchises make off of actual ticket sales, concessions & merchandise is very small in comparison to the $$$ they make off of the network contracts.  Why not give back to the fans a bit in the form of the 3 points I made above?  The owners answer is probably because they don't want to leave one dollar on the table, but I think they would make up for that lost revenue, because fans would feel more appreciated ans thus invest more in the team.  

all smart ideas. What about PSLs? 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

How many of these teams have PSL's?

Quick research looks like 19 (from wikipedia):

National Football League (NFL) Seat Licenses

Atlanta Falcons PSL

Baltimore Ravens PSL[1]

Carolina Panthers PSL

Chicago Bears PSL

Cincinnati Bengals COA (Charter Ownership Agreements)

Cleveland Browns PSL

Dallas Cowboys SL (Seat Licenses)(Effective at AT&T Stadium only.)

Houston Texans PSL

Minnesota Vikings SBL (Stadium Builder Licenses) (U.S. Bank Stadium only)

New York Giants PSL (Effective at MetLife Stadium only. Buying Giants PSL does not give ticket rights for the Jets.)

New York Jets PSL (Effective at MetLife Stadium only. Policies differ from the Giants. Buying Jets PSL does not give ticket rights for the Giants.)

Philadelphia Eagles SBL (Stadium Builder Licenses)

Pittsburgh Steelers SL

San Francisco 49ers SBL (Stadium Builder Licenses)

Seattle Seahawks CSL (Charter Seat Licenses)

Oakland Raiders PSL (To be implemented when the team relocates to Las Vegas & the new stadium opens)

Los Angeles Rams PSL (To be implemented when the new stadiumopens)[8]

Los Angeles Chargers PSL (To be implemented when the new stadiumopens)[8]

Tennessee Titans PSL

11 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The Raider's drop in attendance is easy to understand.  They should show an incredible increase next year in Las Vegas.

Buffalo is one of the strongest markets for the NFL  It is time the NFL appreciated Bills Mafia.

100% right.

can’t even get the NHL to respect the Buffalo market enough, and it’s shown to be a top-3 US hockey market since basically 2000.

watch the prime time Bills games roll in though, so long as Terry and Kim bow to the pressure from Rog and build a new palace (most likely with public money.)

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Does this even bother the NFL? They still get their television revenue.

So what if only 5,000 people show up? They aren't going to do anything to change it....are they?

they want crowds, buying concessions, helps with morale

with all 16 games (mainly) each week at my command you couldn’t pay me to sit there and watch at least 13 of those games each week, 

i couldn’t care less about tomorrow’s playoff games

they’ve lost a huge part of me and I'm a key demo with age and $$$ to spend on the NFL, not good...

Edited by row_33

If I still lived in Buffalo I’d go to every game, but I’d admittedly spring for club seats.  No interest in sitting out in the cold/rain/snow in November and December any more.

I’m probably in the minority in hoping the Bills build some sort of dome (retractable or not) when they make the move to new digs.

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Both of these go hand in hand.  The cost of tickets and then food and drinks for the night (family of 4) cost about the same as a new 70" TV. 

They keep raising prices while access to the games gets cheaper and cheaper without having to be there. 

...not to mention the bathroom is only six steps away......MISSION CRITICAL (multiple times).........

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Does this even bother the NFL? They still get their television revenue.

So what if only 5,000 people show up? They aren't going to do anything to change it....are they?

ticket sales stopped mattering years ago...Sunday Ticket...streaming...they are probably making more money as out of town fans pay to see their team 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

And stadium sizes have been shrinking for a while. They have seen this coming, and will continue to grow their billion$. 

Exactly this.   There are only 4 teams with seating capacity over 80K:  Dallas, Washington, Green Bay, Met Life (Jets/Giants).  KC, Carolina, Denver, and LA Rams play in stadiums with more than 75K seats.  The Ravens, Saints, Bills, and Texans play in stadiums with between 70-75k.   That leaves 17 teams in stadiums between 60-70k seating, 1 team (Oakland) playing in a 56,000 seat stadium, and 1 team playing in a 27k seat stadium (Chargers). 

38 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

100% right.

can’t even get the NHL to respect the Buffalo market enough, and it’s shown to be a top-3 US hockey market since basically 2000.

watch the prime time Bills games roll in though, so long as Terry and Kim bow to the pressure from Rog and build a new palace (most likely with public money.)

Yes!  Thank you.  New Era is still a viable stadium.  Arrowhead Stadium has been continually updated.  Why can't we do the same thing.  A new stadium will price many long time season ticket holders out of the market.  That would be a lousy way to reward loyal fans.

• Like (+1) 2

I have lived in Maine for the past 20 years. I held seasons with a friend from utica for 2 years, and have made the trip down for at least 1 game every since since I turned 19 (32 now). It is a 10+ hour drive, and can get costly when you consider gas, tolls, tickets, parking, hotel, duffs or anchor bar, etc...

But let me tell you this. My wife and I went to the Bills game a couple weeks ago in New England and it was completely lame compared to a game at the Ralph. Lame tailgating with no tents allowed, lame banter from obvious bandwagon fans, and a lame stadium experience... people were not even yelling for their team!! 

Well worth the trip and added expense to experience at least one home game every year, and I cannot wait until my boys are old enough to bring them! 

It is nice, however, not having to wait in line to get a beer or take a piss. It is also nice having a halftime quickie without worrying about being arrested, rather that the boys will wake up from their nap.

If we lived in WNY again, seasons would be a must. No other team has the same experience and atmosphere IMO.

Go Bills!!

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

.. Both New York teams suck.. AGAIN..

There is only 1 New York team, and if you happen to get lucky while channel surfing around 4:30 today, you can catch them in the playoffs on TV!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Lots of factors here:

1)  Price- too expensive for some people.  Definitely expensive for people to go to multiple games.  Even if it's not too expensive, the choice of where to spend your money is compelling.  IF Buffalo wins and plays in Baltimore, I plan on going.  I figure for two people this trip will cost me about $1,000-1,200 dollars.  For that we could fly to the Caribbean for the weekend.

2)  TV's-  So much easier to watch on a big screen.  Plus you have the ability to flip games and watch RedZone.

3)  Fantasy Football-  More people watch players than they do teams.  

4)  Stadium Experience-  Everything is expensive.  Crowds can be dangerous for families.  Commercials pumped in everywhere possible.

5)  Cash Cow is drying-  

6)  Younger Viewers- As old time football fans get older they want to go to the game less.  This coupled with younger folks growing up watching more games on TV exacerbates things.

7) Officiating- This causes people whether live or on TV to dislike the game and its outcomes.

? This hasn't really hit yet but less kids playing football leads to less fans.  I figure in another decade the concussions slowing youth programs will really hurt.

The real question is since attendance is down will the cost of tickets/going to the stadium go down?  Unfortunately I think not.

I believe stadiums will continue to shrink in capacity. It’s probably a good thing that the Bills have waited to construct a new venue. I’m guessing Los Angeles is gonna have a really tough time filling the new palace after the initial season curiosity wears off...and it might not be close even the first year. Some of the most expensive sports franchises in the world are in the English Premier League and most of their stadiums are around 30,000 seats. Television is where the big money is and will remain.

This coming year will probably be our last year of season tickets. Up in clubs for last 5 years. 
started season tickets in 92. 2 seats row 10 - 50 yard line cost about $500. When seats put in got shoved over to 33 yard line row 10. This past year dropped lower seats. Cost would have been $2,400 this past year. 
Started going to games in 90. 
getting tired of the 4 plus hour drive

11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

This Anal Probe Security Checkpoint brought to you by Bank of America

That seems a natural matching as thousands who were screwed out of their houses will tell you.

A friend had one of those mortgages and got a notice he needed to pay immediately or face foreclosure with not enough time to refinance.

I told him no problem, had contract signed for a interest-only loan and he repaid Bank of America with my funds with me new bank.

By the end of next month he got a mortgage with another bank with me being second mortgage and then he paid me back by end of year.