NFL Attendance Hits a 15-Year Low

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

As much fun as it's been with the Bills finally looking like a professional football team again I can honestly say the in stadium atmosphere just isn't what it used to be.  Still a good time just not a GREAT time IMO.

Too many delays in actual play time (relays & commercials) and a much younger group of fans that see the game as a party rather than a football game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

This, and the explosion of fantasy football. I know lots of folks who root harder for their fantasy team than their pro team. Channel surfing > live game for those folks. 

There was a Washington fan at work complaining he having trouble with who to root for in game.  His fantasy teams had players playing Washington and they were money leagues but he has (rarely uses) season tickets for Washington.  The others he was talking to said that just root for his fantasy teams since he sold his Washington seats for profit before season and since Washington will not be in playoffs losses are good for them.   I mentioned the biggest loss which would be a win for Washington was the louse of an owner and all agreed, Washington fan included.

3 hours ago, Success said:

70" HDTV's.  Why ever leave the house?

That's the reason. Watching games live in the elements with $15 beers sucks compared to hi-def TV, your own food and drink and multiple camera angles. They made TV too good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

I blame the move to mobile tickets. Fans hate them compared to the old style  hard tickets that fans used to collect. And more  major ticket brokers can't resell them as easy and simply are not buying as many as they did before. This alone is a major factor that the crowds are going down. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

This thread is sad to read from multiple wuss bag Bills fans. 

The games are fun as hell and are what you make them. I will make my 2 home games a year from Toga and support my team like I have for many, many years now. 

We do have some weak fans like most to all bandwagon teams have. True fans will show up like you and I that are the real 12th man or "mafia", don't get frustrated.

Enjoy the ride baby!

1 hour ago, LB48 said:

Too many delays in actual play time (relays & commercials) and a much younger group of fans that see the game as a party rather than a football game.

The games have always been a party but before it was diehard football fans going and getting fired up before the game and of course that still exists but now so many of the younger crowd is there to be seen and and meet up with friends and take pics for social media.  The game of football has never been more popular from the mainstream point of view but that has also phased out the old school football fan.  A big reason why the game day atmosphere has changed so much in my opinion.j

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Every year it seems to get a tad more commercialized.

”This coin toss brought to you by Western New York Urology!”

”This Pass Interference challenge brought to you by Picasso’s Pizza!”

”This measurement brought ti you by XSentuals Gifts and Lingerie!!!”

This Anal Probe Security Checkpoint brought to you by Bank of America

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I usually go to a game or two per year because I still enjoy being at the game.  It's simply cheaper, more convenient, and more comfortable to watch from home.  My old age can't handle the weather like that anymore either.

People tell me weather doesn't affect attendance.  They're wrong and dumb, but they tell me that.

• Like (+1) 2

There is a very simple solution to the dilemma of decreasing attendance at NFL games:

1 - Decrease the price of food/drinks/beers, like the Atlanta Falcons did a couple of years back.

2 - Decrease the price of season tickets by 10-25%

3 - Season ticket holders get a 35% discount on all apparel and merchandise of "their team"

The $$$ that NFL franchises make off of actual ticket sales, concessions & merchandise is very small in comparison to the $$$ they make off of the network contracts.  Why not give back to the fans a bit in the form of the 3 points I made above?  The owners answer is probably because they don't want to leave one dollar on the table, but I think they would make up for that lost revenue, because fans would feel more appreciated ans thus invest more in the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

Keep moving teams all over the place and of course people won’t show. Do the Rams or Chargers even have fans? The Raiders getting moved, AGAIN.. Florida teams all suck.. AGAIN.. Both New York teams suck.. AGAIN..Washington was terrible.  Those are supposed to be huge markets and when the teams suck not as many are interested. 
I was never a fan of going to games, I almost always had a bad experience. The 4-5 games I went to in buffalo the drunken fans were out on control. I remember the charger game when the power went out, and Phillip Rivers was throwing temper tantrums constantly over the play clock and stuff.. I took my two nephews for their first ever game. Don’t remember my seats but we were at an end zone, a semi obese man actually threw up on my 7 year old nephew. The guys in front of us stood up the entire game, my girl at the time asked them nicely if they could just scoot apart a little so my nephew could see something and they told her to F off. Very hard to bite my tongue in that situation but fighting in front of the kids wasn’t an option. So I told the boys stand up on your chairs to see. They did. The group behind us of course spilled beer all over the poor kids and their seats and you guessed it. Obese man next to us threw his arms up to cheer and knocked the poor kid off the chair. We left in the third quarter after security yelling at us for standing just past the steps. 
As weird as it is to say, Pittsburgh was by far and away the best live experience I’ve had. 
I wore my custom bills jersey and got tons of compliments. Fans were all cool and teased in a fun way. I’ve attended games in Cinci, Tennessee, Atlanta and went to my first panther game last year. Pittsburgh by leaps and bounds was the best for me. 
I think I’m retired now, as stated earlier 70 inch tv is for me. Warm and better food at home 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

As much fun as it's been with the Bills finally looking like a professional football team again I can honestly say the in stadium atmosphere just isn't what it used to be.  Still a good time just not a GREAT time IMO.

How so?

8 hours ago, Success said:

70" HDTV's.  Why ever leave the house?

7 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

$10 beers killed the golden goose.

Both of these go hand in hand.  The cost of tickets and then food and drinks for the night (family of 4) cost about the same as a new 70" TV. 

They keep raising prices while access to the games gets cheaper and cheaper without having to be there. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Does this even bother the NFL? They still get their television revenue.

So what if only 5,000 people show up? They aren't going to do anything to change it....are they?

I'm actually curious what the number is, Mark. At what point does the stadium pendulum swing? When Stanford (and many other schools, I assume) built their current stadium they went for a much more appealing venue with lower capacity. If the NFL survives long enough for rational decisions about game-day attendance to occur, I would hope the same thing occurs.