NFL Attendance Hits a 15-Year Low

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  $100 parking, $20 beers, long lines, bad weather. No brainer. Sunday ticket pays for itself by week 2.

I went to the Bungles, Broncos and Ravens games this year.  $10 per game for parking, <$40 per seat in the 314s, I don't drink in the stadium, and lucked out with good weather.  I tailgate with die-hards that park close to the gate in Bills lot 6 and chip in a $20 spot for their food.  All-in-all a relatively cheap day out, and this year we lucked out with great weather.  The Jests or Eagles game would have been a rough one...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  $100 parking, $20 beers, long lines, bad weather. No brainer. Sunday ticket pays for itself by week 2.

This is 100% true and I'm sure it's the reason for the decline, but there is no substitute to watching the game live in a stadium full of cheering fans, IMO.

49 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

TV ratings are still up so I guess people just prefer watching at home 

And stadium sizes have been shrinking for a while. They have seen this coming, and will continue to grow their billion$. 

• Like (+1) 2

Look at the teams they have listed here though. The Jags for years have had tarps covering the top section of their stadium. They probably have the least amount of fans in the league and they have been bad the last two seasons. The Raiders having their last year in Oakland, I think a lot of the fans just decided not to bother. It's like when the Browns announced they were leaving in 1995. Those fans stopped caring and the Bengals were terrible this year at 2-14. It's no wonder those stadiums had bad attendance 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am sure the teams putting their hands into the cookie jar forcing the electronic tickets (I know one fan with over 20 pages of game tickets who stopped going), making it more difficult to sell tickets on private market, etc hurt.

I'd be curious is it just attendance which is down or sales too and are season ticket sales down?  In retail they have thing called "Same store sales" which eliminate things like Chargers move affecting sales but the Washington and Raiders situation are self-inflicted.  I do love it when I see a Washington fan at work telling person in charge "Please turn off TV" every time Washington is on it in news.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

As much fun as it's been with the Bills finally looking like a professional football team again I can honestly say the in stadium atmosphere just isn't what it used to be.  Still a good time just not a GREAT time IMO.

Agreed.  A lot of stadiums have lost their personal touch and upped the prices.  

The Bills should let people bring in the endzone banners again.  I see them in old videos and loved them 

Skid Row!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

And stadium sizes have been shrinking for a while. They have seen this coming, and will continue to grow their billion$. 

From what I’ve been hearing, the NFL is going to demand a higher cut from TV revenue once the current contract expires. They’ll get it too.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the Chargers playing in a small arena and not drawing well along with Oakland turning on the Raiders plus the Redskins fanbase completely abandoning them all have contributed to things declining. That's 3 markets that were usually good in attendance having their worst years. I also think that the cost of attending games going up hasn't helped other markets. 

In general, the Skins fans having a horrible product to watch for almost all of Snyder's tenure don't help overall trends (the article said they sell less than 80% of all the seats), but the article also said this year the Skins had the largest %age increase in the league - 7.3%, followed by the Bills who were up 6%.  The Skins attendance woes didn't contribute to this season's decline.

1 hour ago, Success said:

70" HDTV's.  Why ever leave the house?

There’s a lot of truth in this, and the NFL to be concerned about the attendance dip.

I think that the home experience of watching games on TV from home continues to get better.

I know from my own experience at New Era Field, attending a game in person is much more of a time and financial commitment, and to some,

not as good as watching from your home. 

Either way, the NFL Owners are making a ship ton of money so I wouldn’t care too much 

29 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I wonder how much legalization of gambling has contributed to less attendance and more viewership

IMO not very much.

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I usually go to a game or two per year because I still enjoy being at the game.  It's simply cheaper, more convenient, and more comfortable to watch from home.  My old age can't handle the weather like that anymore either.

For sure.  It takes about 90 minutes to get to the stadium for me.  It takes twice as long to get home, maybe longer.

That means for a 1 PM Bills game, I leave around 7:30 get there at 10:30 or so.   By the time the game is over and were packed up, it’s about 5 OR 5:30.  

Then the worst part.  You sit still in a parking lot for about 60 minutes and then have slow downs for another 60 minutes.  By the time I get home it’s about 8:30 or later.  

It’s an entire day - that’s not to mention the money for tickets, food, drinks, gas, and the limited viewing experience in the stadium.

Overall watching at home is so much easier and more convenient in a lot of ways

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

There are a lot of stinker games, and when you see them on tv you can tell that the stadium is not very full.

In many cases, people don’t want to go to a game in cold weather and watch two teams that have no chance at the playoffs.

In Florida you couldn’t pay me to watch a game in September unless it’s in a box with AC. I would need at least a 100% shade guarantee. I’d rather be cold in WNY in December, you can protect against that. 

As much as I love attending games, in many ways it’s best suited for your couch or a bar. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Every year it seems to get a tad more commercialized.

”This coin toss brought to you by Western New York Urology!”

”This Pass Interference challenge brought to you by Picasso’s Pizza!”

”This measurement brought ti you by XSentuals Gifts and Lingerie!!!”

LOL. PC Richard is an appliance/electronics dealer in the tri-state area. Years ago my brother-in-law had Jets seasons and would take me to the Bills game. After every Jets first down they'd play the notes from the PC Richard jingle and I'd look at BIL and say, "I'm not sure why, but I feel like buying a refrigerator right about now".  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This thread is sad to read from multiple wuss bag Bills fans. 

The games are fun as hell and are what you make them. I will make my 2 home games a year from Toga and support my team like I have for many, many years now. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I live in central VA and a long-time season ticket holder but this is the first year that I went to every home game. I am an old guy but thoroughly enjoy going to the games. I also have Sunday Ticket so I can view the away games. Watching at home on the big screen is nice but being there in person is always better imo. It is not just the game but the people & antics experienced inside & outside the stadium as well as the other experiences enjoyed in Buffalo while there for the weekend like restaurants, shows, concerts, etc. 

i also still have family in the area so visit with them as part of a Bills game weekend. I have 4 tix so take my wife and/or grown sons with me to the games. My sons were born in VA but are die-hard Bills fans. 
i may be in the minority but plan to attend every game next year as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....uh oh......expected?.......officiating?.....cash cow outta milk?....other ideas as to attendance tank?...interesting.......

NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2020, 1:28 PM EST

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person.

According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at home games in 2019. That’s the lowest average since 2004.

The Cowboys averaged 90,929, leading the league for 11 straight seasons. Fifteen teams saw a decline in attendance, led by the Jaguars (8.7 percent drop), Raiders (7.6 percent) and Bengals (7.0 percent).

Two teams saw an increase of more than five percent. Washington’s audience grew by 7.3 percent (the stadium was still at less than 80 percent capacity), and the Bills have a 6.0-percent jump.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/03/nfl-attendance-hits-a-15-year-low/#comments

Many warned corporate NFL would phase out the common man and here we are today. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I wonder how much legalization of gambling has contributed to less attendance and more viewership

This, and the explosion of fantasy football. I know lots of folks who root harder for their fantasy team than their pro team. Channel surfing > live game for those folks.