Bill Polian and two Sirius colleagues did not vote Lamar Jackson All-Pro

wppete

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You just said Brees was the best in the nfl.  Brees didn’t have 3,000 yards, missed 5 games (they went undefeated without him), and had 15 less tds than Jackson. 

Missing the games is why I think that. He is tied for fifth in TD's even though he missed a huge chunk of the season.

I'm more impressed with Brees than I am with Jackson. That's why I'd vote for him. But Jackson had a great season and deserves the MVP.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's hilarious. Best season ever? Not even close.

This is one of those times looking at stats and not the games can be a joke. Yes he threw for 36 touchdowns. He’s under 30 if you takeaway the end of game running up the score touchdowns. Baltimore was pretty grimy at handing opposing teams their as*** and continuing to go full force running up the scores when the games were clearly over. Not a lot of teams do this. Some but not a lot. Lamar is the MVP this season. Zero doubts for me. Some of his stats are a joke though. Don’t get me wrong, they were unstoppable and what he’s done is ridiculous on lots of levels. But his stats are extremely padded. 
We have all watched a lot of football, when teams are losing 28-3 at halftime they know it’s over 99% of the time and mail it in trying to stay healthy and get to the next game. 
Patriots used to pad tommy boys stats a lot too. Ravens were a grimy team this year running up scores. Few weeks ago against the Jets they were killing them in the 3rd quarter and the game was over. They trotted Lamar out there for I think 3 more drives and risked injury to get him more touchdowns. He deserves his credit for being MVP and proving many people including myself wrong that he couldn’t make all the throws. I’m still not sold this is sustainable and I would like to see if he can dominate next season or even in the playoffs when things are turned up a notch. But I can’t stand when people throw out these stats like gospel. Ravens were winning from the get go almost every game this season and were in cruise control most games. This isn’t like Mahomes last year whose defense was trash and he had to throw non stop in shootouts to keep games close and win. Lamar shouldn’t be penalized for his team winning but his stats don’t tell the whole story either. 

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah,  but you’re not a HOF GM.  It’s so embarrassing that a Heisman winning qb should have been talked about switching positions and then becomes a MVP in his second season.  That’s all time terrible.  He just like a bitter old man who can’t admit he is wrong. 

I suggest you stay the heck off of his lawn!!!  

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, MJS said:

That's your opinion. Yards are yards to me.

Jackson had a tremendous season. He's worthy of an MVP. But I disagree with people who say he is the best QB in the NFL or that he had the best season ever. Pat Mahomes had a better season just last year, in my opinion.

kind of an interesting debate as to where Lamar’s season ranks re the all-time best seasons for a QB. 

you sort of forget, but Peyton Manning’s first season with the Broncos was redoes-breaking— 5500 passing yards and over 50 TDs!

i do think Lamar’s season this year should be in the discussion for one of the greatest seasons ever by a QB. From a pure stats perspective, the 68% completion percentage, 3200 yards, 1200 rushing yards, high TD total, super low INT total— it could be one of the best ever. 

Just now, Motorin' said:

He's definitely not the best passer, though he's a very good passer. But the dynamic running element he adds is off the charts. 

That's all true. But I don't think that makes him the best QB in the NFL nor do I think he had the best season of a QB in NFL history like some are claiming.

If I were given a choice of any QB in the league, I wouldn't choose Jackson. I'd probably take Mahomes.

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

kind of an interesting debate as to where Lamar’s season ranks re the all-time best seasons for a QB. 

you sort of forget, but Peyton Manning’s first season with the Broncos was redoes-breaking— 5500 passing yards and over 50 TDs!

i do think Lamar’s season this year should be in the discussion for one of the greatest seasons ever by a QB. From a pure stats perspective, the 68% completion percentage, 3200 yards, 1200 rushing yards, high TD total, super low INT total— it could be one of the best ever. 

Sure. Top 10 for sure. But I'd at least put Mahomes season last year and Peyton Manning's record breaking season over his.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Missing the games is why I think that. He is tied for fifth in TD's even though he missed a huge chunk of the season.

I'm more impressed with Brees than I am with Jackson. That's why I'd vote for him. But Jackson had a great season and deserves the MVP.

That’s a wild way to look at it but it’s your opinion. 

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Brady 07 is pretty tough too.  4800 50 and 8  completing nearly 70% of passes.  And they didn't lose til the super bowl.  

2013 manning was ridiculous. 

Mahomes 2018 just started so ridiculous - 14 TDs and no picks through 4 weeks.  26 and 6 throgh 8  weeks.  I don't know why they didn't do more to chase the 55.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's all true. But I don't think that makes him the best QB in the NFL nor do I think he had the best season of a QB in NFL history like some are claiming.

If I were given a choice of any QB in the league, I wouldn't choose Jackson. I'd probably take Mahomes.

Long term, I'd take Mahomes too. Just saying that I think Lamar's total offensive production this year, considering that he averaged 7 yards per carry, is up there with the best single season performances ever. He also only played 15 games. 

Jackson deserves the MVP award probably, or at least he deserves strong consideration, but I think defenses will figure him out soon, likely following the Bills approach. He could well be just another guy in two years. Maybe even in the playoffs. We had this discussion when the Bills played the Ravens: contain him in the pocket, take away his tight ends and score more than 20 points. If teams can do that to him consistently, he's not a great QB, or even a very good one. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

Jackson deserves the MVP award probably, or at least he deserves strong consideration, but I think defenses will figure him out soon, likely following the Bills approach. He could well be just another guy in two years. Maybe even in the playoffs. We had this discussion when the Bills played the Ravens: contain him in the pocket, take away his tight ends and score more than 20 points. If teams can do that to him consistently, he's not a great QB, or even a very good one. 

Jackson looked really good last year in the regular season, but in the playoffs looked terrible. It will be interesting to see if the Ravens can keep it up in the playoffs this year. I expect they will. But I don't think they will go to the super bowl.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Polian is just going to be sitting in his rocking chair during the playoffs waiting for Lamar to lose and telling his dog I told you so. 

The hate for Polian on these boards has always been very confusing to me. I don't see the point in blasting him all the time for his opinions. People are quick to attack him and say really horrible things about him for seemingly no reason at all.

We see just as bad and often worse opinions on a daily basis from a wide variety of sources.

• Like (+1) 1

Jackson is 19-3 as a regular season starter in the NFL.

How many 2nd year QB's in the history of the NFL can say that?

I don't know why people are quick to discredit Jackson, but he doesn't have all-world talent around him. He makes their O go. Period.

His play speed is as good as anyone's in the history of this game.

I am not going to rip Jackson until he deserves to get ripped. Everyone seems to be ripping him because of what MIGHT happen in the future. Wait till it happens.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Jackson looked really good last year in the regular season, but in the playoffs looked terrible. It will be interesting to see if the Ravens can keep it up in the playoffs this year. I expect they will. But I don't think they will go to the super bowl.

The hate for Polian on these boards has always been very confusing to me. I don't see the point in blasting him all the time for his opinions. People are quick to attack him and say really horrible things about him for seemingly no reason at all.

We see just as bad and often worse opinions on a daily basis from a wide variety of sources.

I don’t hate Polian at all.  Just think he looks really bad here.  I can’t stand people who can’t admit they are wrong.  It’s a character flaw.  

but there are some rumors about Polian and certain things he may have done to get fired from the Bills.  But he did a great job choosing Peyton #1 overall. And then building a team that went 1-15 without him.  

Just now, njbuff said:

Jackson is 19-3 as a regular season starter in the NFL.

How many 2nd year QB's in the history of the NFL can say that?

I don't know why people are quick to discredit Jackson, but he doesn't have all-world talent around him. He makes their O go. Period.

His play speed is as good as anyone's in the history of this game.

I am not going to rip Jackson until he deserves to get ripped. Everyone seems to be ripping him because of what MIGHT happen in the future. Wait till it happens.

Because people had strong opinions on him and can’t admit they were wrong.  It’s similar to Allen, though he wasn’t talked about switching positions after winning the Heisman. 

I don’t hate Polian at all.  Just think he looks really bad here.  I can’t stand people who can’t admit they are wrong.  It’s a character flaw.  

but there are some rumors about Polian and certain things he may have done to get fired from the Bills.  But he did a great job choosing Peyton #1 overall. And then building a team that went 1-15 without him.  

He literally did admit he was wrong about Jackson. He said that. This is all because he voted for another QB. Voting for someone else doesn't mean he is not admitting he was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Because people had strong opinions on him and can’t admit they were wrong.  It’s similar to Allen, though he wasn’t talked about switching positions after winning the Heisman. 

The playoffs are a different animal and we have to wait on that to form an opinion on Jackson when it really matters, but for anyone to be even remotely critical on the kid's success thus far in his regular season career, is just foolhardy.

Gonna say something here while trying not to single anyone out. Jackson is doing some amazing things on the field this year, no doubt. So is Wilson. 

Total yds:

Wilson     4452

pass 4110   rush 342

Jackson  4333

pass 3127 rush 1206

Total tds

Wilson       34 

31 passing 4 rushing

Jackson    43

36 passing 7 rushing

Total Turnovers

Wilson    7

Jackson 8

Rating

Wilson      106.3

Jackson   113.3

Wilson has more total yds, less turnovers and had to pull rabbits out of his hat to get the Hawks where they are. And they had to sign Beast Mode due to losing 3 rbs this year to injury. Anyone calling Polian out as mad cuz he was wrong about Jackson is reaching. Is there a legitimate case for Lamar? Sure. Same could be said for Russell. Polian is not off base here. I would have voted for Russell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1