Grading Beane, McDermott, OC, DC, and JA

Bing Bong

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It's too early.  Wait til the season's over.

....well for Nix that was pre-Thanksgiving when the season was "officially over" and his alarm was set for 11:59AM on Draft Day.........so perhaps we're in a bit better shape......SMH.............

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....well for Nix that was pre-Thanksgiving when the season was "officially over" and his alarm was set for 11:59AM on Draft Day.........so perhaps we're in a bit better shape......SMH.............

We are.

If your big brother always skipped class and got Fs, should your teacher grade you on thanksgiving or wait til the year's over?

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

You graded Beane a B- over the offense he assembled?? 
He is a gm of the year candidate based mostly off of the offense he assembled in one offseason really. He hit homeruns on almost every signing and draft pick. 
They built an offensive line with 4 new players and depth. 
Not in love with Beasley and Smoke? Why? What more did you want to see from them? Besides coles few drops he’s been amazing. 
There are not many, if any success stories for an offense similar to what Beane just accomplished this season adding this many players on offense. I won’t worry about grades for the others until I see what they do for the postseason, because honestly a good showing changes everyone else’s grades. 
But Beane deserves an A or an A+ without a doubt regardless of the postseason. 

Beane may be a “GM of the year” candidate for some, but BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P ain’t buying it. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

How much more would he have had to have done to get an A+? He found 4 offensive line starters, 2 wideouts, a starting running back, young TE's with potential, and depth. He also found a gem D-line player in the draft and did so without tying the team down in any long term contracts that are hard to get out of beyond 2020. So I don't see how much better he could have done without capping out the team or compromising their cap situation long term. 

if he would have landed an elite WR i would have given him an A+.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Beane is an easy A. He turned the entire roster in 2 years, may have found his QB and has $90m+ in cap space. He’s the most responsible IMO.

McDermott is an A-/B+ from me. Culture is fantastic. Team is disciplined and prepared. Clock management and challenges still need work.

Daboll is a B- from me. He’s not creative enough in the red zone for me. I also think Josh needs to run early in games to get into the flow. 

Frazier is an A-. He’s done a nice job with a really talented defense. My only gripe is that I’d like them to attack a touch more.

Josh is a B-. He has shown flashes of what he can become. He needs to be more accurate and consistent. He’s taking the steps though. If he keeps on this trajectory he’s going to be a really good NFL QB.

This is where I am at except I would give Daboll a C+.  I think he has a terrible flow to his game and doesn't do much in the beginning to get Josh into a rhythm.

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

if he would have landed an elite WR i would have given him an A+.

So in order to get an A+ you want him to fix every single problem with a 6-10 team in a single off-season while also not putting them in a bad cap situation? Seems a little unrealistic. He fixed the O-line with only one major FA contract (Mitch) and only one major draft asset (Cody), he found a good RB in round 3, found a good pair of WR's to improve that core, drafted a pair of TE's with potential, and added a big time piece to the D-line all while adding an All-Pro caliber return man to sure up the biggest weakness of the special teams unit all while keeping the team in a good cap situation but you know A-.  

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

So in order to get an A+ you want him to fix every single problem with a 6-10 team in a single off-season while also not putting them in a bad cap situation? Seems a little unrealistic. He fixed the O-line with only one major FA contract (Mitch) and only one major draft asset (Cody), he found a good RB in round 3, found a good pair of WR's to improve that core, drafted a pair of TE's with potential, and added a big time piece to the D-line all while adding an All-Pro caliber return man to sure up the biggest weakness of the special teams unit all while keeping the team in a good cap situation but you know A-.  

He's had 3 years. And not fix every problem, but at least have an offense that isn't dog doodoo. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

jesus calm down kiddo. A- is an Excellent grade for an excellent job. A+ would be a grade for a perfect job. Sorry I don’t think he did a “perfect” job. Way too sensitive bro. 

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It's too early.  Wait til the season's over.

I agree with this. The Bills season isn't over and the team has a chance to earn a playoff win.

My advice would be to simplify the offense as Daboll attempts to out think everyone...and yet lost to Freddie Kitchens...

Get the run game and short passing games working and move the chains. Keep Watt out of the picture.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Whatever happens I think we are setup for future success and should be competing for playoffs and more for the foreseeable future. That was a goal for our head office.

Remember the defense has had three years to gel together. I’m more excited about where this offense will be next year and beyond.

We need a game breaking WR,  a stout OL that will not bend and Edge Pass Rushing. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree Beane is doing a good job.  Just not an easy A job. 

Passing on the top 3 young QBs in the AFC and then taking Josh Allen is not easy A drafting.  Josh is good and may some day be great, but he's not even in the same ball yard as the other 3.

I need to see more for an easy A.  A playoff win at home would be good place to start.

What we have so far is a good start at an easy A IMHO

Did Beane pass on the top 3 young QBs in the AFC ?  Seems to be some disparity between your opinion and the facts here. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Beane: A

(Nothing to complain of. He's brought in a lot of talent, had great drafts, manages the cap well, gets draft picks for guys we should be cutting, and has over 80 million of cap space to play with next year)

McDermott: A-

(I think he still needs some game day decision making improvement, but the team he's built, the culture, the way he has everything running, etc. is all great)

Daboll: C-

(Below average offense gets a below average grade. I disagree with some of his decisions. For instance, TE screen on 3rd and 10 plus? Why would that ever work? I think he out smarts himself (and his players) sometimes. Not sold on him, but I'm fine keeping him so we can see more)

Frazier: A+

(Elite defense, but some of the credit for the has to go to McDermott, I feel. The defense seems to be a joint venture between the two)

Josh Allen: B

(He's developing. He's a gamer. He comes through when it matters most. Just has to get more consistent and continue to learn the game)

12 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

The board seems all over the place on this one, so who are we crediting for our success this year? I wanted a topic specifically gathering our opinions on the big 5. Let's be respectful of others opinions as I feel there is a lot of disagreement here:

Beane: B- not in love with the offense he's assembled, especially our poor decisions with receivers although I understand he hasn't had much time to focus on it. Kudos for the defense but I have to give McDermott props on the secondary since he made most of it before Beane got on board and is a DB coach.

McDermott: A+++ the man I give full credit to for this year. Dude's a keeper. I strongly believe HC's should get the lion's share of credit for a good year (see Kitchens blowing it with a talented roster). Beane brings the talent, McDermott brought the winning culture. Not to mention his work on the secondary I mentioned in Beane's grade.

Daboll: D the offense just isn't up to snuff. I understand he's not working with much, but I always get frustrated every Sunday with something he does. Granted I don't know much about exactly what his contribution as OC brings to the table but IMO not a fan.

Frazier: A- fantastic job. Only thing i'd criticize is I want to see more blitz but what do I know? His unit has been fantastic this year.

Josh Allen: B a complete enigma. Every Sunday I alternate every series with being fed up with him.. and next series I'm amazed at a 3rd and long he completes. JA may be the most polarizing figure on here so I'll just leave this with an average grade and say while I want to see more.. he's been good enough and he's my franchise QB for now!

Id say the proof is in the delicious pudding. Championships usually dont happen overnight. They werent going to happen with the last crew period. Culture matters, accountability matters, and team over a single player matters. 

20 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Beane is an easy A. He turned the entire roster in 2 years, may have found his QB and has $90m+ in cap space. He’s the most responsible IMO.

McDermott is an A-/B+ from me. Culture is fantastic. Team is disciplined and prepared. Clock management and challenges still need work.

Daboll is a B- from me. He’s not creative enough in the red zone for me. I also think Josh needs to run early in games to get into the flow. 

Frazier is an A-. He’s done a nice job with a really talented defense. My only gripe is that I’d like them to attack a touch more.

Josh is a B-. He has shown flashes of what he can become. He needs to be more accurate and consistent. He’s taking the steps though. If he keeps on this trajectory he’s going to be a really good NFL QB.

I agree. 100%.