Mitch Morse on Bills Offensive Identity: "Daboll is a Lunatic"

I thought this might deserve its own thread

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/03/buffalo-bills-nfl-houston-texans-cleveland-browns-brian-daboll-interview/

Jay Skurski, probably paywall, trial available

The Buffalo Bills’ center was asked about the idea that the team's only true identity on offense is that they don’t have an identity, and what that says about the coordinator.

“I think it says he's somewhat of a lunatic, you know what I mean?” Morse said.

Um, not exactly. That requires a little more explanation.

“Lunatic in a good way,” Morse said. “He's just nonstop football. Puts in ridiculous hours. Relays information, divulges information to the players that is pertinent, but understands how to do that in a way that he wants it to and it's about success.”

Morse has named us.  The Bills have the "Lunatic Offense"

I laughed until the dog and the neighbor's dog and the fam and the rabbit all came to see what was wrong with me.  The other neighbor's parrots probably started yelling "WHOOOO!" "Hey ey ey ey" and "Bills make me wanna SHOUT" as learnt during the Steelers game.

I mean, doesn't that just fit?  Here's the football analytics pundits.  Beane and the Bills are crazy to draft Josh Allen.  He's a joke of a first round pick.  "Numbers say" he has less than zero chance to succeed.   Lunatics!  Lunatics I tell you!

We have 2 returning starters on offense.  We're very young.  We have a young QB.  Logic says "KISS, baby, strip it down, keep it simple" 

Daboll is the Honey Badger, Honey Badger don't care.  You can DO this!  Yes, it's crazy to think so!  I'm a lunatic!  LETSGO!

"The Bills’ offense is ever-changing. One of Daboll’s go-to phrases deals with how the NFL is a week-to-week league.

“That’s how I’ve been brought up in the business,” he said Thursday as the Bills concluded their practice week ahead the AFC wild-card playoff game Saturday at Houston. “The defenses are different that you're going against. The schemes are different. You try to put together the best plan you can to try to win that game, whether it's run it a bunch, throw it a bunch. Different run schemes, different pass schemes, that's what we try to do. (....) We have our own style and our own system, but the philosophy behind game-plan (specific) offense is something that I really believe in,”

Morse is right.  Daboll is a lunatic.  A total genuine freakin' lunatic.

And then there's Josh Allen.  He's improved, but he can still look freakin' incompetent at times.  Then other times he pulls off ***** that no normal human should be able to pull off: "Oh my goodness!  The QB just....OUT AGGRESSIVED the entire defensive line!"  He makes throws that will spin your head around like Linda Blair on the Exorcist.  We have Knox, who makes 10/10 High Degree of Difficulty stuff then drops the Bunnies.    Our receiving corps is crazy: bunch of tiny Smurfs....who can strip the jocks right off the best DBs in the league.

The playoffs are this weekend, and here we are, #5 seed with a record equal to the division winner we'll face.  Here We Go!

Billy Joel said it:

If a cover version could change "Bedford Stuy" alone it would even make a pretty wicked Stadium Player Intro song, actually

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

In my opinion, Daboll gets far more vitriol on this board than he deserves. Reading various peoples' takes on his game planning and play-calling who have far more knowledge than I do, say he's done a hell of a job for this Offense given where they are in the rebuild process. If Daboll remains with the Bills and the Bills use some of their Cap space a couple important Draft picks on Offense, plus another year of Allen's development along with second year for Knox and Singletary, I'd say this becomes a very, very good Offense next season. 9 new starters on Offense this year....keep that in mind and remind yourself of a raw 2nd year QB and consider where they're at....it's pretty fricken good all things considered.

:beer:

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Love it. You can make the argument that he’s putting the cart before the horse and should have dumbed it down but you can’t argue that the Bills are in the playoffs and won 10 games...and could have won 11. 

Daboll is a hard read for me but I default back to the fact that he’s in the room every day with these guys and they love him. That speaks volumes to me. 

PS: thanks for posting as I don’t get the B-Lo News!

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

In my opinion, Daboll gets far more vitriol on this board than he deserves. Reading various peoples' takes on his game planning and play-calling who have far more knowledge than I do, say he's done a hell of a job for this Offense given where they are in the rebuild process. If Daboll remains with the Bills and the Bills use some of their Cap space a couple important Draft picks on Offense, plus another year of Allen's development along with second year for Knox and Singletary, I'd say this becomes a very, very good Offense next season. 9 new starters on Offense this year....keep that in mind and remind yourself of a raw 2nd year QB and consider where they're at....it's pretty fricken good all things considered.

:beer:

Well stated, those that make the decisions are doing a very good job, not perfect, but hell, nothing is perfect when it comes to what humans do.

So the long term team plan is chugging along nicely, doing the process thing, and getting good results with the current team make up and maturation of the players. Like you said, pretty fricken good all things considered. ?

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought this might deserve its own thread

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/03/buffalo-bills-nfl-houston-texans-cleveland-browns-brian-daboll-interview/

Jay Skurski, probably paywall, trial available

The Buffalo Bills’ center was asked about the idea that the team's only true identity on offense is that they don’t have an identity, and what that says about the coordinator.

“I think it says he's somewhat of a lunatic, you know what I mean?” Morse said.

Um, not exactly. That requires a little more explanation.

“Lunatic in a good way,” Morse said. “He's just nonstop football. Puts in ridiculous hours. Relays information, divulges information to the players that is pertinent, but understands how to do that in a way that he wants it to and it's about success.”

Morse has named us.  The Bills have the "Lunatic Offense"

I laughed until the dog and the neighbor's dog and the fam and the rabbit all came to see what was wrong with me.  The other neighbor's parrots probably started yelling "WHOOOO!" "Hey ey ey ey" and "Bills make me wanna SHOUT" as learnt during the Steelers game.

I mean, doesn't that just fit?  Here's the football analytics pundits.  Beane and the Bills are crazy to draft Josh Allen.  He's a joke of a first round pick.  "Numbers say" he has less than zero chance to succeed.   Lunatics!  Lunatics I tell you!

We have 2 returning starters on offense.  We're very young.  We have a young QB.  Logic says "KISS, baby, strip it down, keep it simple" 

Daboll is the Honey Badger, Honey Badger don't care.  You can DO this!  Yes, it's crazy to think so!  I'm a lunatic!  LETSGO!

"The Bills’ offense is ever-changing. One of Daboll’s go-to phrases deals with how the NFL is a week-to-week league.

“That’s how I’ve been brought up in the business,” he said Thursday as the Bills concluded their practice week ahead the AFC wild-card playoff game Saturday at Houston. “The defenses are different that you're going against. The schemes are different. You try to put together the best plan you can to try to win that game, whether it's run it a bunch, throw it a bunch. Different run schemes, different pass schemes, that's what we try to do. (....) We have our own style and our own system, but the philosophy behind game-plan (specific) offense is something that I really believe in,”

Morse is right.  Daboll is a lunatic.  A total genuine freakin' lunatic.

And then there's Josh Allen.  He's improved, but he can still look freakin' incompetent at times.  Then other times he pulls off ***** that no normal human should be able to pull off: "Oh my goodness!  The QB just....OUT AGGRESSIVED the entire defensive line!"  He makes throws that will spin your head around like Linda Blair on the Exorcist.  We have Knox, who makes 10/10 High Degree of Difficulty stuff then drops the Bunnies.    Our receiving corps is crazy: bunch of tiny Smurfs....who can strip the jocks right off the best DBs in the league.

The playoffs are this weekend, and here we are, #5 seed with a record equal to the division winner we'll face.  Here We Go!

Billy Joel said it:

If a cover version could change "Bedford Stuy" alone it would even make a pretty wicked Stadium Player Intro song, actually

Wow, I wish I could start my pre-gaming this early.... You should slow down so you can at least stay awake for the game, lol.

edit: realized this could be the Buffalo News guy.

Edited by BuffaloSol

9 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Kelly the Dog Jay Skurski, when comparing this sort of column.

Dude, I love me some KtD, and that's really apples to kumquats (Kelly is the kumquat.  I have no idea what that means, I just like typing kumquat. Kumquat!)

Skurski is interviewing players and weaving a news article around what they say.

KtD writes 100% fan-sided opinion column

Different beasts.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Wow, I wish I could start my pre-gaming this early.... You should slow down so you can at least stay awake for the game, lol.

Wait, what?  Oh, I get it....new here.  Newbie pass.  I think.......

• Haha (+1) 1

Call it whatever  you want but to me the offence is vanilla and predictable . 

If Daboll has an outstanding  game on Saturday  I'll forgive  him because  he saved his best plays .  

But I'm not holding my breath  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, what?  Oh, I get it....new here.  Newbie pass.  I think.......

The rambling in the post sounds like someone that had a couple and is pumped for the playoff game, I didn't realize it was a buffalo news guy until after the post. which makes the ramble even better. 

What does how many post I have on here have to do with anything? Didn't realize there was a degree in online message boards being handed out. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

The rambling in the post sounds like someone that had a couple and is pumped for the playoff game, I didn't realize it was a buffalo news guy until after the post. which makes the ramble even better. 

What does how many post I have on here have to do with anything? Didn't realize there was a degree in online message boards being handed out. 

Just that if you'd been around a while, you'd be more familiar with my posting style.  I'm only halfway through my 2nd cup of coffee (earlier time zone)

It is generally discouraged to respond to a post just to take a shot at the person writing it as drunk, incoherent, whatevs though, 'Kay?  Hit the content, avoid the ad hominem, and if you don't care for someone's posting style skip 'em.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

I joined under a different account in 2009(forgot the name) lurked for a couple years before that, that doesn't mean i'm going to catch on how everyone posts.

styles change after a cup of coffee or two and

on game days 

styles change after a six pack or two 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Love it. You can make the argument that he’s putting the cart before the horse and should have dumbed it down but you can’t argue that the Bills are in the playoffs and won 10 games...and could have won 11. 

Daboll is a hard read for me but I default back to the fact that he’s in the room every day with these guys and they love him. That speaks volumes to me. 

PS: thanks for posting as I don’t get the B-Lo News!

You can make the argument that they are 30th in the NFL in scoring since he arrived too.

From all I've heard over the 2 years he has been in Buffalo now he has a great football mind and I have no reason to doubt that....... but he's on his 4th NFL OC job and hasn't had a good season yet.    

At the college level most successful teams have come around to the idea that generating offense is not just about calling clever plays like Daboll appears to be focused on.

In fact rhythm/tempo are now considered much more important in many cases.       

Daboll's offense had none of that the past month and only flashes of it in two years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This part was great!!!

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You can make the argument that they are 30th in the NFL in scoring since he arrived too.

From all I've heard over the 2 years he has been in Buffalo now he has a great football mind and I have no reason to doubt that....... but he's on his 4th NFL OC job and hasn't had a good season yet.    

At the college level most successful teams have come around to the idea that generating offense is not just about calling clever plays like Daboll appears to be focused on.

In fact rhythm/tempo are now considered much more important in many cases.       

Daboll's offense had none of that the past month and only flashes of it in two years.

We know where you stand, and I respect your position, but your argument would be more powerful if you don't include the 2018 data in your assessment of Daboll given the truly abysmal talent. I know I sound like a broken record, but the offensive talent on the Bills in 2018 was the worst in my lifetime, and I include the Gary Marangi 1976 season. At least OJ was dominant that year. The 2018 team had a terrible line, terrible QB play, terrible WR play, terrible TE play, and terrible RB play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

We know where you stand, and I respect your position, but your argument would be more powerful if you don't include the 2018 data in your assessment of Daboll given the truly abysmal talent. I know I sound like a broken record, but the offensive talent on the Bills in 2018 was the worst in my lifetime, and I include the Gary Marangi 1976 season. At least OJ was dominant that year. The 2018 team had a terrible line, terrible QB play, terrible WR play, terrible TE play, and terrible RB play.

It doesn't matter if Sean McVary is coaching the offense, if you don't have talent, your offense is not going to perform. Daboll has squeezed more offense out of this squad than I thought it ever would. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Skurski is interviewing players and weaving a news article around what they say.

KtD writes 100% fan-sided opinion column

Different beasts.

I understand your viewpoint.  I was speaking strictly from an enjoyable and funny read, of which I did not clearly state.  Having said all that:

Kelly the Dog > Jay Skurski 

• Like (+1) 1

Although Daboll has left me scratching my head at times at his play calls I really don't understand the level of animosity people here give him.  I think he's done a good job and I see how much Josh has improved.  Even though his offense is complex, I like how well Josh has handled it so far - which I think reflects on the comments about how smart Josh is.  As Josh gets more experience and if we keep the same system, I think he is really going to be dangerous (if he keeps improving).  

Ultimately I'm leaning on hoping Daboll stays. I'd really like Josh to remain in this current E-P system.  If Daboll were to go, I'd hope Ken Dorsey would get the reigns.  I don't really have a reason as to why Dorsey other than I would hope that he would keep Daboll's philosophy allowing a somewhat continuous and stable development of Josh; picking up where Daboll left off.  

Realistically, I don't see Daboll going anywhere this year unless Josh puts up really good games and we elevate in the playoffs.