Smoke vs Hopkins stats this year

D Hopkins targeted 150 times caught 104 balls    1,165 yards 7 TD's

John Brown targeted 115 times caught 72 balls   1,060 yards 6 TD's

Both dudes sat out week 17

Hop averaged just 7 yards per game more than Smoke , with one more touchdown on the year despite 35 more targets.

He makes amazing catches, but he's not significantly more productive than Brown this season. 

If you look at yards and/or points per target, Brown comes out quite a bit ahead.

I'm guessing Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson are probably worrying Frasier and McD more than Hopkins, despite all the press he's getting.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

he's not significantly more productive than Brown this season. 

Almost 50% more receptions is significantly more productive. It means more first downs and longer sustained drives. Keeping your defense off the field and the ball out of the hands of the opposing team. I was expecting Beas to be our 100 reception guy. Didnt work out that way. I still wanna see one more year with Beas before making my final assessment but with those drops I wouldnt be upset if he is replaced. 

Yeah but back you your point, Hopkins is an ELITE WR while Brown is simply very good. I lOVE Brown, dont get me wrong but he is nowhere near the talent level of Hopkins. Could you argue that with Watson, Brown's numbers would be much better? Yes, and you would likely be right. But the eye test means more to me than stats.

• Like (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Almost 50% more receptions is significantly more productive. It means more first downs and longer sustained drives. Keeping your defense off the field and the ball out of the hands of the opposing team. I was expecting Beas to be our 100 reception guy. Didnt work out that way. I still wanna see one more year with Beas before making my final assessment but with those drops I wouldnt be upset if he is replaced. 

Yeah but back you your point, Hopkins is an ELITE WR while Brown is simply very good. I lOVE Brown, dont get me wrong but he is nowhere near the talent level of Hopkins. Could you argue that with Watson, Brown's numbers would be much better? Yes, and you would likely be right. But the eye test means more to me than stats.

Well said. I’d like to add Hopkins can literally put the team on his back at times and dominate defenses when they are behind and catch anything in his area. 
We don’t pepper brown with targets non stop but I don’t think he has that ability. 

22 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Brown had 69% of the catches Hopkins had but had 91% of his yards & 86% of his TDs and you're trying to spin that into a win for Hopkins? I could counter-argue and say Smoke had 3 times as many 40 yard plays, but it the end it was only 2 more than Hopkins (3 to 1). In the end substance matters. All those extra targets & receptions amounted to a single first down more per game(68 vs 53). He's not keeping that horrific defense off the field all that much longer Smoke. I'd rather have more bang for my buck.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Hop averaged just 7 yards per game more than Smoke , with one more touchdown on the year despite 35 more targets.

He makes amazing catches, but he's not significantly more productive than Brown this season. 

If you look at yards and/or points per target, Brown comes out quite a bit ahead.

I'm guessing Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson are probably worrying Frasier and McD more than Hopkins, despite all the press he's getting.

totally fine comparison and thank you for posting. But John Brown is nowhere near Hopkins’ league. I hope you weren’t trying to imply that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

totally fine comparison and thank you for posting. But John Brown is nowhere near Hopkins’ league. I hope you weren’t trying to imply that.

He did say this season in his post. I get that Hopkins has had a really good career, but this season was somewhat of a down year for him. In 2015, 2017 & 2018 he had between 1,378 - 1,572 yards and his TD totals for those years were 11, 13 & 11. The only year in that mix he didn't do as well as this year was 2016 when he had Brock Osweiler & Tom Savage throwing him the ball. His numbers this year and their rank in his 7 year career Recs - 3rd, Yds - 5th, YPC - Last, TDs - 4th, 20 Yard Plays - 5th, 40 Yard Plays - Last, and the ever pivotal First Downs - 4th. And that includes the years when he had Osweiler, Savage, Hoyer, Yates, an old Schaub & a rookie Case Keenum throwing to him, not Deshaun Watson. He's even better protected with Fuller & Stills than he has been in his career besides the first 2 years when Andre Johnson was on the team. He's been an elite WR in the past, but he hasn't been elite this year.

• Like (+1) 3

Brown's had a great year but doesn't get the double coverage that Hopkins regularly faces.  You know a WR is good when he can put up those kind of numbers despite every defense game planning to limit your production.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Brown had 69% of the catches Hopkins had but had 91% of his yards & 86% of his TDs and you're trying to spin that into a win for Hopkins? I could counter-argue and say Smoke had 3 times as many 40 yard plays, but it the end it was only 2 more than Hopkins (3 to 1). In the end substance matters. All those extra targets & receptions amounted to a single first down more per game(68 vs 53). He's not keeping that horrific defense off the field all that much longer Smoke. I'd rather have more bang for my buck.

I'd also add that while Hopkins got more targets and catches, smoke edges Hop out in catches per target and has a way better yards per catch than Hop.

Edited by BigPappy
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Fuller seems to be the player that makes the passing game go...heard a stat on WGR driving into work the other day that the Texans average 140 more yards a game passing with Fuller playing than without.  Problem is he seems to be hurt a lot.

9 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I'm all for the John Brown love but let's not get carried away here.  Hopkins is a dominant potential HOF player who can take over a game if you are not careful.  Didn't have his best season this year in terms of going downfield, but is still a dangerous weapon.  Brown meanwhile had the best season of his career and while it would be nice to believe he could repeat this next year and the year after, right now it's a complete outlier for him. Hopkins has already had 3 years of 100+ receptions and 5 years of 1,000+ yards.

Edited by matter2003