2020 Pro Football Hall Of Fame Finalists list

Just Jack

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

i wasn’t impressed with Marvin Harrison either yet he was a first-ballot guy. And T.O. wasn’t. Really make ms you think ?

T.O. Was a classless jerk in full antagonism mode with the media and people around him

you gotta be a super super immortal to get in on first ballot in sports behaving like that

he wasn’t 

• Like (+1) 1

Polamalu and Boselli should go in. I am less convinced on the case for Hutchinson to be honest but maybe that is a bias against guards.... he was very good for about a decade. 

Torry Holt would be the receiver I'd put in if I had to take one of those guys but I banged the table for both Orlando Pace and Kurt Warner because I always felt it was those two and Faulk that made the Greatest Show on Turf go. 

Reggie Wayne will get in. It is inevitable. I'd be disappointed if he makes it as a first ballot guy. I think he should have to wait a few years. 

37 minutes ago, row_33 said:

T.O. Was a classless jerk in full antagonism mode with the media and people around him

you gotta be a super super immortal to get in on first ballot in sports behaving like that

he wasn’t 

that’s one side of the story I suppose.

Harrison was investigated and suspected of being involved in a street murder; didn’t hurt his chances of getting in on 1st ballot.

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s one side of the story I suppose.

Harrison was investigated and suspected of being involved in a street murder; didn’t hurt his chances of getting in on 1st ballot.

You are wasting time on this nonsense

oh sorry, can you do some research on the topic, don’t spend more than 124 hours

baseball is the best for reviewing personality and accomplishment meshing into first ballot enshrinement

Rice, Gossage, Eddie Murray, Steve Carlton, Roberto Alomar, Orlando Cepeda and Dick Allen are good case studies to back me up

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

oh sorry, can you do some research on the topic, don’t spend more than 124 hours

baseball is the best for reviewing personality and accomplishment meshing into first ballot enshrinement

Rice, Gossage, Eddie Murray, Steve Carlton, Roberto Alomar, Orlando Cepeda and Dick Allen are good case studies to back me up

Using baseball, with different standards and different HOF criteria to “back you up”? Not very convincing. Are you Vic Carucci by any chance? 

and if character came into play with TO, why not Harrison? Bye bye now row there’s no point.

• Haha (+1) 1

We have done the TO thing to death but the HOF voters have said (though it is not defined as far as I am aware in the official criteria) they make a distinction between off-field nothing to do with football character and off field football character in terms of in the locker room, impact on team mates etc. Thereby TO who consistently disrupted locker rooms and threw his QBs in San Fran and Philly under the bus waited and Marvin Harrison and Ray Lewis are first ballots. 

8 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Were they less dominant or simply overlooked and under-appreciated?

Torry Holt was the fastest receiver in history to 10,000 yards.  

Has everyone really forgotten The Greatest Show on Turf that quickly?  Before gaudy numbers became a regular thing for so many receivers at once, they helped set the bar and actually won a ring while doing it.

They were absolutely dominant and *are absolutely Hall of Fame worthy.

Holt has been eligible for what 5 years now and he just made it to finalist list for the first time. So far from absolutely HOF worthy.  Great player in a great scheme but not all time great worthy of HOF.

I should also add I don't think Kurt Warner should have been inducted either. 

if Boselli played longer he'd be a guy I'd give him a nod. Bruce and Holt were great and wonder if they'd go in together? Yet as other mentioned a non great group, a bunch of above average players but not any generational great except for Polamalu.

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Holt has been eligible for what 5 years now and he just made it to finalist list for the first time. So far from absolutely HOF worthy.  Great player in a great scheme but not all time great worthy of HOF.

I should also add I don't think Kurt Warner should have been inducted either. 

If Jim Kelly's in the HOF than Warner should be too. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We have done the TO thing to death but the HOF voters have said (though it is not defined as far as I am aware in the official criteria) they make a distinction between off-field nothing to do with football character and off field football character in terms of in the locker room, impact on team mates etc. Thereby TO who consistently disrupted locker rooms and threw his QBs in San Fran and Philly under the bus waited and Marvin Harrison and Ray Lewis are first ballots. 

Everything you said is correct but TO still should have been first ballot HOF. McNabb literally puked the SB away and could not run hurry up offense at the most crucial time while TO was playing on a recently fractured ankle. 

FYI - Harrison got in on third ballot not first 

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Not a very impressive list.

Steve Atwater, LeRoy Butler & John Lynch. That's a lot of Safeties. Probably deserving, but no way they all get in.

Atwater was a beast and I think is more than deserving.  But there's a lot of old-boy-network nonsense in NFL HOF voting  that favors visible people.  For example, Howie Long was a good DE but to go in as quickly and early as he did?  What if he's not on Fox every week?  For this reason I expect Lynch to go in and for that other committee to vote for Jimmy Johnson (notwithstanding his crap job in Miami).

I'm not saying -- yet -- that Long, Lynch and Johnson may not belong in the HOF.  I'm saying they get breaks that other people don't.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Were they less dominant or simply overlooked and under-appreciated?

Torry Holt was the fastest receiver in history to 10,000 yards.  

Has everyone really forgotten The Greatest Show on Turf that quickly?  Before gaudy numbers became a regular thing for so many receivers at once, they helped set the bar and actually won a ring while doing it.

They were absolutely dominant and *are absolutely Hall of Fame worthy.

My thoughts exactly. Those guys were the dawning of the new modern age of football we see now. Holt and Bruce were both superstars in that offense, putting up numbers that might seem like the norm today but definitely weren't back in the late 90s-early 00s. I think I drafted Holt or Bruce every year when I played fantasy football as a kid, with the pads of paper and a pen and you'd have to check the stats in the paper the next day, haha.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Everything you said is correct but TO still should have been first ballot HOF. McNabb literally puked the SB away and could not run hurry up offense at the most crucial time while TO was playing on a recently fractured ankle. 

FYI - Harrison got in on third ballot not first 

McNabb not performing in a Superbowl is no excuse for TO acting the way he did. TO missed out on first ballot despite his obvious talent and production because he was a bad teammate. 

Appreciate the correction on Harrison.

22 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

The NFL has to re-think about making 5 new HOFers every year, as this list is not great. Too many guards and safeties How long did it take Jerry Kramer to get in?

yup...

need:

1) an offensive lineman

2) an old-timer that 80% of current fans never saw play

3-5) hopefully someone worthy...

1 hour ago, Ennjay said:

Atwater was a beast and I think is more than deserving.  But there's a lot of old-boy-network nonsense in NFL HOF voting  that favors visible people.  For example, Howie Long was a good DE but to go in as quickly and early as he did?  What if he's not on Fox every week?  For this reason I expect Lynch to go in and for that other committee to vote for Jimmy Johnson (notwithstanding his crap job in Miami).

I'm not saying -- yet -- that Long, Lynch and Johnson may not belong in the HOF.  I'm saying they get breaks that other people don't.

Definitely.

Being on television sure helped Cris Carter, and he does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

29 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Definitely.

Being on television sure helped Cris Carter, and he does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

we are getting old and grumpy and can't accept that players after we became of age are worthy?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

we are getting old and grumpy and can't accept that players after we became of age are worthy?

Not at all.

I think the Hall of Fame should be for those who made a real difference in the game. To me, Cris Carter does not fit that description. I feel the same way about Art Monk and John Stallworth.