The Invisible Third of the Game: Special Teams

Just having a guy like Roberts back there is a nice feeling knowing that he will "take care of the ball". It would be great if he can bust a long one or two, but just knowing that you have someone back there you can trust not to fumble and to make the right decisions makes him worth what the Bills are paying him. 

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Special Teams can be viewed 3 different ways IMHO

Those who don't care about it.

Those who don't want it to beat you.

Those like BB, who think it can help you win.

I would put McDermott in the 2nd category this year, but that might be more by how it fell out than by philosophy.  Signing Roberts essentially to play ST would argue that he wants it to help them win, it just hasn't worked out that way.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:18 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

and why is that?

I guess the first question is: is this by design/instruction or can Hau$hka just not do it anymore?

On 1/2/2020 at 10:16 PM, NoSaint said:

Sure they have decided to give him the job but I’m not sure that cements him as the best on the entire 53 or that any substantial margin exists to the next option.

The point is, you and I aren't the ones grading the players and making that call.  They aren't going to play an offensive or defensive starter at gunner.  The guys evaluating the players they have to choose from, appear to believe that he is.

oh, and ignoring foster himself, special teams is far from a third of the game 

Numerically in terms of snaps, of course you are correct.

In terms of impact, since every drive begins and ends with an ST play, many would argue it has a disproportionate impact.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Don't agree with first comment.  We lost the first game against Patriots due to a ST blunder (or a clever trick by the Patriots).  We allowed the Miami ST player to run roughshod over us and almost cost us the game 

ST blunder.  We failed to adjust to blocking move and put it on film in 2 previous games.  Patriots saw it and exploited.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would put McDermott in the 2nd category this year, but that might be more by how it fell out than by philosophy.  Signing Roberts essentially to play ST would argue that he wants it to help them win, it just hasn't worked out that way.

I guess the first question is: is this by design/instruction or can Hau$hka just not do it anymore?

The point is, you and I aren't the ones grading the players and making that call.  They aren't going to play an offensive or defensive starter at gunner.  The guys evaluating the players they have to choose from, appear to believe that he is.

Numerically in terms of snaps, of course you are correct.

In terms of impact, since every drive begins and ends with an ST play, many would argue it has a disproportionate impact.

you might’ve twisted my arm using the FG units scoring impact but to go with the return game impact just isn’t doing it. You’ve overstated the 1/3 factor to start and then pointed at the MUCH less significant portion of it.