RIP Sam Wyche

RIP Sam Wyche.  My favorite memory of him was the Monday night game in Buffalo.  Lofton scores a TD bomb after a massive push-off, and Wyche goes nuts, running onto the field and chasing refs under the goalposts.  Dude had a lot of passion and fire, and was a good QB coach for the Bills.  All the best to the Wyche family.

RIP, Sam.

I remember him pulling a prank on the team when he was HC of Tampa. Rumor had it that Jimmy Johnson was going to get hired to replace Wyche. What does he do? He invites Johnson to play a come into the team meeting as the GM was asking Wyche to turn in his playbook. Johnson starts in with lecturing the team on getting tougher while wearing a Bucs windbreaker (which was Sam’s).

It was hilarious. I wish I could find the video of it from ‘95. Here’s a link to the story:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1995-09-07-9509070043-story.html

He was one of a kind. ?

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

December 18th, 1989.  Bengals vs. Oilers, 21 seconds left in the game.  Bengals line up and kick a last-second field goal, winning the game by a score of 61-7.  This is after, in the third quarter, having scored a TD to take a lead of 45-0, on the ensuing kickoff the Bengals recover the onside kick.  

When asked why he ran up the score, Sam Wyche replied "I just don't like Jerry Glanville."

EDIT: Onside kick.  Preceded by the wonderfully pithy observation "You can't look much worse than this."  :lol:

The final field goal.  After which, the play-by-play announcer says "This would be the perfect time for an onside kick."  Which is followed by...the Bengals kicking an onside kick.

RIP, you magnificent bastard.  :lol:

Glanville was an arrogant coach! Its always nice in sport or in life in general to see an ahole get their comeuppance but Glanville got in such an epic way!

I always wondered why he was never brought in to be a coach in Buffalo I know he was here as a QB coach & i was hoping he would become more ? I never knew he had heart trouble like he did until i saw a recent interview on One Bills Live . Good man he will be missed !! 

I liked Wyche he was a good coach !! RIP ...

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

He was a very likeable football character who seems like a really good man.

I believe he was the true architect of the hurry-up offense in Cincinnati, right?

...yup....Wicky Wacky Wyche"...…<.500 career coaching record but he was entertaining.....way too young to pass at 74....