What’s your Saturday going to look like?

Virgil

14 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Wow, I never even THOUGHT about using sous vide for beef on weck.  I wish I'd have read this earlier, I won't have 20 hours.  

I've done it a few times now, it makes a suuuuper tender beef, perfect for On Wecking ?

I follow Charlie's process for the rolls and top with some Miller horseradish.  The results?  Mmmmmmm, Proper.   :beer:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I've done it a few times now, it makes a suuuuper tender beef, perfect for On Wecking ?

I follow Charlie's process for the rolls and top with some Miller horseradish.  The results?  Mmmmmmm, Proper.   :beer:

I bought a top round for my wecks.  No sous vide; just low and slow.  I can't get Miller's where I live, which really sucks.  Makes a big difference.

What is Charlie's process for the rolls?  I just butter the tops then dip in the salt/caraway seeds, then bake for ~10 min or so.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Heitz said:

What cut?

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I bought a top round for my wecks.  No sous vide; just low and slow.  I can't get Miller's where I live, which really sucks.  Makes a big difference.

What is Charlie's process for the rolls?  I just butter the tops then dip in the salt/caraway seeds, then bake for ~10 min or so.

I think it's just corn starch instead of butter.

1 hour ago, Stads said:

Work 3am-3pm after 3-4 hours of sleep and then hang out with the kids on the couch watching the game. The menu will consist of whatever is the easiest to make that keeps them happy. I'm looking at you frozen chicken nuggets.

Throw a pork shoulder in the crock pot & turn it on super low right before you leave for work. All ya need is some buns bbq sauce and coleslaw after that. Easy and much much better football food. Damn, I think I might just do that now, now I'm hungry, lol 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

What cut?

I'm doing Beef on Weck and will be using the "Charlie the Butcher" corn starch method for the rolls.

Here is an option for some people to try.  The old "Bailo's" on Bailey would have this option.

Use some of the corn starch/water mix to "thicken" the Au Jus, add it slowly to the desired thickness.  Add black pepper and a dash of "Kitchen Bouquet" for some

extra flavor.  Just before serving dredge the beef thru the gravy (draining most of the gravy off before putting on the roll).

Of course the proper amount of horseradish is a must.

Serve with mashed potatoes and a side of pickled red cabbage.  

image.jpeg.62b4b1d0498fa78e516622c618ece9e0.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I thought I had seen it on their website and.....voila!

https://www.charliethebutcher.com

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Check page 1, the video is linked there - just FF to the roll part.  He uses water and cornstarch, brushes it on, then a quick back to hold the salt and caraway.  He also reccos pretzel salt, but I'm not the biggest fan, I go with Maldon Sea Salt flakes, 'cause I'm a gourmand... ?

All I need now is an Alto-Sham oven and I'd be in business.  Anyone on this board know Charlie himself?  I'm ready to take over the chain, when he's ready to retire (you know, after I retire from my current job). ?

4 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

What cut?

I went with an eye round (I believe), it has a bit of marbling, but too much fat - should should be nice for slicing after a long cook.  And ya gotta get one of these too to feel like a real carving station pro:

51BL7FhrHLL._AC_SX355_.jpg

I took notes during my lunch at Beef-N-Barrel when I was home for the holidays... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

Are you going to wear a diaper to avoid going to the bathroom since you don't plan on moving during the games? 

A real fan just urinates on themselves 

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Check page 1, the video is linked there - just FF to the roll part.  He uses water and cornstarch, brushes it on, then a quick back to hold the salt and caraway.  He also reccos pretzel salt, but I'm not the biggest fan, I go with Maldon Sea Salt flakes, 'cause I'm a gourmand... ?

All I need now is an Alto-Sham oven and I'd be in business.  Anyone on this board know Charlie himself?  I'm ready to take over the chain, when he's ready to retire (you know, after I retire from my current job). ?

I went with an eye round (I believe), it has a bit of marbling, but too much fat - should should be nice for slicing after a long cook.  And ya gotta get one of these too to feel like a real carving station pro:

I took notes during my lunch at Beef-N-Barrel when I was home for the holidays... 

I avoid knives during Bills games. Safer for everyone that way. 

23 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

She from New Zealand or just trying hard to put on the dumb blonde routine?

She’s just not into sports.  Bless her heart, she tried and I respected her efforts.  And she’s coming to this one since she was obviously the reason the Bills lost!

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Heitz said:

Fooled me. I was thinking you slept at at a Holiday Inn.