What is the key to the game?

Matt_In_NH

Other than the obvious penalties and turnovers, from a tactical stand point I think stopping the Texans running game is key.   The games the Bills have struggled in are ones that the opponent was able to run the ball right at the Bills.  So if I was Houston, this is what I would try to do against this defense.   The Bills defense has struggled at times this season against the run.  Houston is 15th in passing yards and 9th in rushing yards so this also falls into what they do best on offense.   

Also, something to consider, half of the bills games this season came against defenses that ended in the top 10.    The Texans do not fit that mold!    the Texans Defense has given up a lot of yards this year.  They are ranked 28th overall, 30th against the pass and 25th against the run while giving up 19th highest points.  This could be a decent opportunity for the Bills offense and while JJ Watt returning is something to talk about I think we can also talk about how healthy he really is.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

I think the game actually comes down to can the Bills control the clock and move the ball systematically. Get Josh in rhythm early with the short passing game and then stay balanced with Singletary. There will be chances to go deep against Houston's secondary but we need to stay patient. We can't afford to lose the TOP battle as obviously as we did against the Pats. 

• Like (+1) 10

9 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Other than the obvious penalties and turnovers, from a tactical stand point I think stopping the Texans running game is key.   The games the Bills have struggled in are ones that the opponent was able to run the ball right at the Bills.  So if I was Houston, this is what I would try to do against this defense.   The Bills defense has struggled at times this season against the run.  Houston is 15th in passing yards and 9th in rushing yards so this also falls into what they do best on offense.   

Also, something to consider, half of the bills games this season came against defenses that ended in the top 10.    The Texans do not fit that mold!    the Texans Defense has given up a lot of yards this year.  They are ranked 28th overall, 30th against the pass and 25th against the run while giving up 19th highest points.  This could be a decent opportunity for the Bills offense and while JJ Watt returning is something to talk about I think we can also talk about how healthy he really is.

Go Bills

Yes stopping the Texan's running game will be vital. I would say that the key to the Bills winning this game is to win the battle on the line of scrimmage - on both sides of the ball. I know that this is nothing earth shattering, but with teams that are relatively evenly matched, unless there are an inordinate amount of turnovers for one side or devastating special teams mistakes , the game is usually won on the line of scrimmage.

Houston is similar to Dallas - a lot of star power, and the potential to look amazing, but not a consistently great overall team.

There may be a feeling out process early, but we need to get control of the game by the 2nd quarter, and make the Texans throw. The Bills don't want to chase this game. But if we get in front, our secondary will control Watson, Singletary will get going, and Josh will sustain drives. If we get up early I think we could kill them - if not the game goes down the wire.

• Like (+1) 2

Hopkins is going to get his, but I don’t think he can’t takeover the game with Tre covering. So you have to eliminate the other guys. The obvious is stopping the run, I don’t want to see a ton of blitzing cause that’s how Watson kills you moving around. A similar contain to what they used against Lamar and Baltimore. Shaq and Murphy out there on the edges not fully rushing the passer waiting for him to move their way and the boys in the middle blowing the line up. 

The offense has to be able to run, and they need to limit pressure from Watt and Mercilus. I have said in weeks past in big games I would like to see some Allen hero ball. Be unpredictable, run, throw on the run, take a couple risks, but in the end I fully believe if Allen has an accurate game this team can beat anyone. His inaccuracies to me are what kills the offense. They never seem to sustain momentum on offense. That’s on everyone. Terrible ball placement, drops, lapses on the O line, and sometimes penalties. Even with all that I would rather see the drops than just throws where they can’t even make a play on the ball. Houston is a defense that is going to give up slants and curls all game long. And if the offense pass blocks at a high level Allen’s favorite 15-25 yarders will be open all game. Im not jumping ship or having a miserable offseason bashing the team if they can’t win or suck at certain phases, but now is the time. These guys can put a real stamp on the league and let everyone know buffalo is here for the long haul. We don’t have “stars” but they sure as hell have the chance to create a few this postseason. Legends are made this time of year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not being overly conservative is the key. Bills are 6-1 when Josh throws a pick. And that one game was that horrific Pats game. 

Being afraid to be bold, be aggressive, take a few shots, is deadly. This is the playoffs.  Playing overly cautious will be a sure way to lose.

I think they should mix in no huddle even if its just one drive to be aggressive in Qtr 1 and then use the pass and play action to set up the run. The defense isn’t tired at the start of a game and Josh needs to get into a rhythm early. Beasley and Knox early in Qtr 1.

Then lots of Singletary, Jet sweeps, and crossing patterns the rest of the game. I would dress Duke but I don’t expect him to have more than 2 catches. They need decent TE play in this game. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the key is linebacker play. I feel as though the lines will do their job (offense and defense) and the secondary will do their job, so it’s up to Edmonds and Milano to have a good game. They can’t be taken out like they were against New England. I’d they both play well, that will make Houston much more one dimensional and plays into the Bills strength

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The key to the game is our front four.  If we can get pressure from all sides containing Watson in the pocket and forcing rushed throws, we should be able to produce turnovers.  If Watson breaks contain, or has time to sit back and survey, we could be in trouble. 

On offense, i think a balanced attack is key, mixing in runs w Singletary, designed runs by Josh, and jet sweeps w McKenzie.  That should keep the LBs up and keep the short-intermediate passing game flowing when we need it on 2nd and 3rd downs...

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the game actually comes down to can the Bills control the clock and move the ball systematically. Get Josh in rhythm early with the short passing game and then stay balanced with Singletary. There will be chances to go deep against Houston's secondary but we need to stay patient. We can't afford to lose the TOP battle as obviously as we did against the Pats. 

I agree.. The best way to calm Josh down is to start off with quick passes and a hurry up type offense.  Get him in a rhythm with quick passes and a lot of Singletary.  In my mind, the same way they started the season in game one.  Come out with a quick pass, dink and dunk, no huddle type game and move the ball.   

Defensively, yes, play outside containment and stop the run in the middle.  Blitz on the passing downs.  Whatever it takes but don't let Watson get comfortable.

3 hours ago, Pay_Poyer said:

I think the key is linebacker play. I feel as though the lines will do their job (offense and defense) and the secondary will do their job, so it’s up to Edmonds and Milano to have a good game. They can’t be taken out like they were against New England. I’d they both play well, that will make Houston much more one dimensional and plays into the Bills strength

I would back it up a notch.

I think the first key is the OL having a good day.    Allen is a much better QB early in games when the OL isn't getting pushed into his lap right from the start.  If the OL is fired up and there's a flexible plan B we move on to in case 11 sets with Knox aren't doing it, the chances of Allen settling in quickly are much better.  And if we "matriculate the football down the field", gives our defense a lot of rest...and a well rested defense is a Happy Defense!

Second key would be  the DL having a good day, because as near as I can suss out what McD expects of his LB depends upon that

So if you think we're good there then Yep Edmunds and Milano are key.  Matt, man....TACKLE!  Edmunds .....get off those blocks!

PS any Plan that has Knox 1:1 blocking Watt is a Bad Plan.

3 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Houston is similar to Dallas - a lot of star power, and the potential to look amazing, but not a consistently great overall team.

There may be a feeling out process early, but we need to get control of the game by the 2nd quarter, and make the Texans throw. The Bills don't want to chase this game. But if we get in front, our secondary will control Watson, Singletary will get going, and Josh will sustain drives. If we get up early I think we could kill them - if not the game goes down the wire.

Disagree with your Dallas comparison completely.  They beat NE and KC on the road and won 10 games.  Dallas beat no good teams besides the Rams and won 8 games in a crap division.  The Texans are just inconsistent and have a suspect defense without Watt.  It’s so hard to predict what Texans team will show up.  

but as others have said, take away Hopkins and let the other guys on offense try to beat you.  Get pressure on Watson and control the clock on offense.  Make it an ugly short game.