RIP David Stern

stuvian

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

there were no serious plans for an NBA team in Toronto when the Braves and Celtics were cratering.

Toronto brought in ABA exhibition games, the Braves, the Globetrotters, but nothing serious was even contemplated until the 1990s

Agree.  But they saw where future markets would be.  Emerging markets.  Toronto was replacing Buffalo.

At one time the two biggest Cities on Lakes, most important were Buffalo and Chicago... It moved from Buffalo to Toronto.  It's now Toronto and Chicago.  They foresaw it.

Buffalo was imploding in late 1970s...The vultures circled... That's what Stern did.  Circle.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Agree.  But they saw where future markets would be.  Emerging markets.  Toronto was replacing Buffalo.

At one time the two biggest Cities on Lakes, most important were Buffalo and Chicago... It moved from Buffalo to Toronto.  It's now Toronto and Chicago.  They foresaw it.

Buffalo was imploding in late 1970s...The vultures circled... That's what Stern did.  Circle.

Vancouver and Toronto just kind of popped up when the league wanted expansion, unfortunately the Grizz was stuck in the highly competitive West and couldn't get any grounding, the East was far more accommodating to a bad team.  This season is possibly the first time in at least 30 years that the East overall shows signs of catching up with the West for talent??

I'm always wary of people who publicly present like a shy and peaceful grinning nice-guy but in private are raging loons with 10 curse words per 15 spoken..... Stern's outbursts were legendary...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Vancouver and Toronto just kind of popped up when the league wanted expansion, unfortunately the Grizz was stuck in the highly competitive West and couldn't get any grounding, the East was far more accommodating to a bad team.  This season is possibly the first time in at least 30 years that the East overall shows signs of catching up with the West for talent??

I'm always wary of people who publicly present like a shy and peaceful grinning nice-guy but in private are raging loons with 10 curse words per 15 spoken..... Stern's outbursts were legendary...

LoL... We now have publicly unabashed raging loons as leaders.

Pick your poison.  I will reach for the modicum of decorum.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... We now have publicly unabashed raging loons as leaders.

Pick your poison.  I will reach for the modicum of decorum.

lots of people in my life like to think someone is "nice" and that's all that matters, "he smiles all the time"

people grinning without a reason are holding back an atom bomb of resentment and hurt, one day it will go kaboom!

and i will never be convinced Michael Jordan wasn't coerced into some time off to work off outside "issues"

• Like (+1) 1

Simmons and Russillo gave a good podcast, noting Stern was a walking encyclopedia of the NBA from around 1969 to his leaving which helped him with issues arising

that he knew the digital world was where it was heading, well before the other sports caught on 

and that he was likely the last commish ever  to run an organization, when he took over about 4 NBA owners had a clue, but as time went on successful billionaires came in that had no desire to listen to Stern.

As well as their dealings with him good and bad, but fair 

Edited by row_33

On 1/2/2020 at 3:37 AM, stony said:

Best commissioner of any sport over the the last 30 years. 

Accessible, witty, loved a good scrap with fans or media.  The opposite of Goodell or Bettman. 

Tell that to Sonics fans...