Buried an old friend today.

My parents have two shitzu. About 12 years old each. One however has gone blind in one eye and crazy blood results where the vets think it’s probably cancer. She was at the end about a month ago it seemed, lost a lot weight, wouldn’t eat. Went on antibiotics and suddenly perked back up like her old self. We are all just riding it out and letting her live the best life she can. They wanted to get her through Xmas

at least

It will be hard when the time comes, none of us have had to live through that experience. The pups have always just been around.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, the vet was always amazed she was still alive the past few years.

She had REALLY bad arthritis at the end, so was always in pain. Gave her the CBD which helped, but it was time.

I've got two cats with cancer that we're likely to lose this year.  Probably one by March, and the other in July.

And I doubt either of my sisters-in-law makes it through the year.  2020's really shaping up to be truly lousy.  Not even a likely source of gallows humor, like my cousin who launched himself through the roof of his house on a water heater back in 2018...  

24 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I've got two cats with cancer that we're likely to lose this year.  Probably one by March, and the other in July.

And I doubt either of my sisters-in-law makes it through the year.  2020's really shaping up to be truly lousy.  Not even a likely source of gallows humor, like my cousin who launched himself through the roof of his house on a water heater back in 2018...  

None of us get out of here alive. It’s all part of the process. We should make the most of every day while we still have the opportunity. Today is an anniversary for us, but we have no regrets, only gratefulness for what was. 

• Like (+1) 1

...my son's Bull Mastif-Pit mix was a rescue......one of his friends took him in after he was found on the side of the road, beaten and suffering from tumors as well as Parvo....she nursed him back to health and gave him to my son in 2008......we think he was around 3, a freakin' beast at 100lbs........about 3 years later, the big dope ingested a pine cone (?) which became lodged, requiring immediate surgery.....at that age, we had to give him a second chance at life....and my kids said, "about $2,500 Dad"...um ok.......so his blood goes toxic and he ends up in emergency for 6 days with a 25% chance of survival...."um Dad, looks like the bill will be $5,000"....um....er....cough...ok........so they bring him home that year on New Years Eve Day, less 20 lbs and wobbly as hell....and my kids said, "um...Dad, the final bill was a bit more.....$7,300"........and the old man just keeps on working.....:thumbsup:...kids and pets .......

On 1/2/2020 at 12:41 AM, DefenseWins said:

We are about to lose our puggle. So I know how terribly it hurts. Curley just turned 13. We'll miss him...

We won't forget him! RIP

Sorry to read about Curley.

Puggles are great dogs.  We were able to enjoy Calie for 12 years

7 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Gonna need some more details on this story.

Well...they found him, in the yard, with the water heater and a hole in the roof of his barn.  Air compressor running inside the barn, with some unconnected piping leading to it.

As best anyone ever figured (no witnesses), he was rigging the water heater tank as a reserve air tank for his compressor, which is a bad idea to begin with.  But for some inexplicable reason, after he had hooked up the tank to the compressor, and pressurized the tank, he had to climb on top of the tank to do something (bolt it to the wall, adjust a valve, sweat a pipe, I have no idea).  It was at that time the bottom of the tank chose to blow out, launching itself, and him on top of it, through the roof into the yard.  

My family's full of stories like this (though this is the only fatal one - my dad sending his brother's boat over Niagara Falls, after his brother was shipped to 'Nam and told him "Take care of my boat" was close, but Dad lived.  Likewise, when my dad called me and asked "Any ideas how to get a riding lawn mower out of the pool?")  

We.  Are.  Farmers.  Dum, dum-dum dum dum dum dum.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Well...they found him, in the yard, with the water heater and a hole in the roof of his barn.  Air compressor running inside the barn, with some unconnected piping leading to it.

As best anyone ever figured (no witnesses), he was rigging the water heater tank as a reserve air tank for his compressor, which is a bad idea to begin with.  But for some inexplicable reason, after he had hooked up the tank to the compressor, and pressurized the tank, he had to climb on top of the tank to do something (bolt it to the wall, adjust a valve, sweat a pipe, I have no idea).  It was at that time the bottom of the tank chose to blow out, launching itself, and him on top of it, through the roof into the yard.  

My family's full of stories like this (though this is the only fatal one - my dad sending his brother's boat over Niagara Falls, after his brother was shipped to 'Nam and told him "Take care of my boat" was close, but Dad lived.  Likewise, when my dad called me and asked "Any ideas how to get a riding lawn mower out of the pool?")  

Thanks. I’ve made several notes on “what NOT to do”. You may have saved lives here! 

16 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You really ARE Sheldon, then.

?

On 1/1/2020 at 2:45 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Gretchen, our 13 year old St. Bernard, went home today. Here's to old friends, may they forever rest in peace.

Sorry to hear that Joe. Been there, done that many times over my life. I’ll pour one out for the homies today. Gretchen, Zeph, Ezra, Samson, Daisy, Kayla....and all the others we’ve lost along the way...

• Thank you (+1) 1