Buried an old friend today.

We have a 14 1/2 year old Aussie, Border Collie, Red Healer mix who has been healthy his whole life. Starting a few weeks ago an aggressive tumor started growing in his mouth and we are now facing the same thing. We run our own business so he is with us all day everyday. I will be heartbroken when I say goodbye.

I am sorry for your loss.

• Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very sorry for your loss.

We're on Golden Retriever #6, over 38 years.  Lindy Ruff was rescued from the SPCA 12/08.  They said they thought he was 1yr.  So if that's true he's 12+.  Very slow on stair climbing now, but still very happy.  I know the day is coming for him but it will still be very difficult.  All pets are special but dogs form a special attachment.  My wife says this is our last dog but I say day at a time.  I've had a dog my whole life, and can't imagine not owning one, so we'll see.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Gretchen, our 13 year old St. Bernard, went home today. Here's to old friends, may they forever rest in peace.

Jesus, Joe.  I just saw this.  I am so, so sorry, brother.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry for your loss Joe, Always tough losing an animal. I sometimes appreciate my dogs better than humans I know. Just know that as the days go on, you will embrace the wonderful time you had with her. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry to hear about this. Pets are family - losing one can certainly feel like it.

Great to hear that she was 13 - I honestly didn't think very large dogs like that lived that long - that seems like a pretty long life for almost any dog, let alone a very large breed like a St. Bernard.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Avenger said:

Sorry to hear about this. Pets are family - losing one can certainly feel like it.

Great to hear that she was 13 - I honestly didn't think very large dogs like that lived that long - that seems like a pretty long life for almost any dog, let alone a very large breed like a St. Bernard.

Yeah, the vet was always amazed she was still alive the past few years.

She had REALLY bad arthritis at the end, so was always in pain. Gave her the CBD which helped, but it was time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sorry to hear Joe.

New Years eve I was sitting a friends dog who was on vacation.  Dog died 17 minutes before midnight.  

I called them the next morning because I didn’t want to ruin their New Years Eve.

Note to self: Do NOT ask Royale to sit my dog! 

We had a buddy who was asked to care for the dog of some friends while they went away for a long weekend. Fenced yard and an outside dog. Just be sure he had food and fresh water. He was sleeping under a tree that got hit by lightning. That was a very unpleasant “welcome home!” Dogs are members of the family. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Note to self: Do NOT ask Royale to sit my dog! 

We had a buddy who was asked to care for the dog of some friends while they went away for a long weekend. Fenced yard and an outside dog. Just be sure he had food and fresh water. He was sleeping under a tree that got hit by lightning. That was a very unpleasant “welcome home!” Dogs are members of the family. 

Hit by lightning????  Damn.

This dog was old and had heart disease.  Same breed and same heart problems as my dog that died 2 years ago.  All the dying symptoms were the same so I knew it was coming.  I was hoping he could make it until today when the family came home.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hit by lightning????  Damn.

This dog was old and had heart disease.  Same breed and same heart problems as my dog that died 2 years ago.  All the dying symptoms were the same so I knew it was coming.  I was hoping he could make it until today when the family came home.

Perhaps you should start your own thread.  Then it can be about you.

So sorry Joe. I had to put my emma down this past August. I would like to get another one, but it hurt to much losing my emma. Maybe someday I'll get another one.

I'm glad you have other dogs in your life. I hope it helps with your healing.

• Thank you (+1) 1