Refs for the playoff game are....

Just Jack

It's playoff time, time for a new thread....

WC1 - Bills at Houston

Tony Corrente is the referee, who is in his 25th season and 22nd as referee. This is Corrente’s 19th postseason assignment, including 8 Wild Card Playoffs, 5 Divisional Playoffs, 5 Conference Championships, and Super Bowl XLI.

Yrs 2019 crew College Occupation
R 99 Tony Corrente 25   Cal State-Fullerton former college officiating coordinator, retired educator
U 102 Bruce Stritesky 14 Vinovich Embry Riddle airline pilot
DJ 6 Jerod Phillips 4 Martin Northeastern State elementary school teacher
LJ 65 Walt Coleman IV 5 Novak Southern Methodist financial advisor
FJ 116 Mike Weatherford 18 Novak Oklahoma State energy trader
SJ 86 Jimmy Buchanan 11 Blakeman South Carolina State insurance agent
BJ 111 Terrence Miles 12 Novak Arizona State quality control manager
  • Replay official: Mike Wimmer
  • Replay assistant: Bill Ellis
  • Alternates: Alex Kemp (R), Ramon George (U), Mark Steinkerchner (LJ), Gary Cavaletto (SJ)

Since this is a mix of various crew members, not the same crew for all season, lets look at how each one did at their last Bills and Texans games. 

Crew Member - last Bills or Houston game - result - penalties 

Tony Corrente - We've actually had Corrente and his crew twice this season, against the Redskins and Steelers. The Redskins game seems to be an anomaly with just two penalties called on the Bills. 

Redskins at Bills - W9-24 - 2/20

Bills at Steelers - W17-10 - 8/70

Colts at Texans - L30-23 - 10/54

Pats* at Texans - W22-28 - 8/79

Bruce Stritesky 

Bills at Cowboys - W26-15 - 7/53

Texans at Titans - W24-21 - 5/27

Jerod Phillips

Bills at Jets - W17-16 - 7/55

Texans at Chargers - W27-20 - 6/65

Walt Coleman IV - Mike Weatherford - Terrence Miles

Bills at Dolphins - W37-20 - 5/50

Jaguars at Texans - W12-13 - 7/47

Texans at Buccaneers - W23-20 - 4/35

Jimmy Buchanan

Bengals at Bills - W17-21 - 7/55

Texans at Jaguars - W26-3 - 7/60 (London game)

Titans at Texans - L35-14 - 5/35

My biggest concern with this crew, is having three members and one of the alternates from the same crew, instead of mixing it up more. If there was any reason to say a fix is in, this could be it. Especially one being a Coleman. Three guys told to either miss key penalties or get plenty of wrist exercises in for the flag throwing this weekend. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

when will the day ever come when ALL NFL referees list THAT as their full time careers and not all the extraneous stuff....I think they should bump the number from 21 out of the 121 officials hired to ALL be permanent ….do you think this would better performance? With the amount of bad and missed calls even with the challenges allowed I still think they could perform to a much higher level and maybe being fulltime would help...…….what do you think?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Drabgod said:

Horrible crew for the Bills Besides Correnre  everyone is from the south the prejudice will be self evident. 

Well thought out and in depth analysis in your first post?

Edited by TH3
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Every officiating crew hates Buffalo and will make BS calls to make sure we don't win. Have to play smart football and get a big enough lead where the referees can't be a game changer

That’s what I’ve always said. Good teams overcome officiating. Our conspiracy theorists think everyone is out to get us. 
Maybe they only watch bills games or are just paranoid but even the bad calls we’ve gotten this year is rampant throughout the entire league it’s not just us. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s what I’ve always said. Good teams overcome officiating. Our conspiracy theorists think everyone is out to get us. 
Maybe they only watch bills games or are just paranoid but even the bad calls we’ve gotten this year is rampant throughout the entire league it’s not just us. 

There you have it.  A damn Pats fan paid by Kraft/Goodell to frequent other teams message boards to pretend that the fix isn't in.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

There you have it.  A damn Pats fan paid by Kraft/Goodell to frequent other teams message boards to pretend that the fix isn't in.

Lol did you really call me a patriot fan? 
Seriously.. Everyone gets bad calls, sometimes the patriots do too. Surely not as much as lower tiered teams though 

Edited by Rc2catch

I try not to worry about the things in my life that I can't control.

For the Bills, what they can control is reviewing the tendencies of each of these officials to see if they're more or less likely to call certain types of judgement call penalties, and keeping that in mind while they play.  Should DBs be more or less physical, challenging WRs down the field?  How egregious does holding by the O line have to be to get called (there are many instances of holding calls being missed or ignored, against all teams).  How protective of QBs are they, wrt roughing the passer?

Edited by Utah John
mistake

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Lol did you really call me a patriot fan? 
Seriously.. Everyone gets bad calls, sometimes the patriots do too. Surely not as much as lower tiered teams though 

Kidding.  Everybody thinks the refs are out to get them.  Even Pats fans think the refs overcompensate because of the public perception that refs give them on the calls.

• Like (+1) 1