Potential Bills WR scouting heaven in the Citrus Bowl today

78thealltimegreat

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That would be my plan. Get a couple taller wrs in the first 4 rounds. Go after Ngakoue and a replacement for Zo....

The only problem with that plan is you’re going to pass on potential elite edge players whilst trying to play it safe with a WR. Draft edge in round 1 and find a scout who can properly evaluate the day two WR prospects.

Edge

WR

Batman to Robin AKA Singeltary.

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

Jonathan Taylor seems like a pretty decent prospect. If he were around RD 3 (doubtful) thats a cost controlled running back room for a few years. 

Another WR although not a big guy I'd like the Bills to look at is Kalija Lipscomb from Vanderbilt as a late round guy.

We’re going to see a few of these prospects like Lipscomb and Perine at the senior bowl. 

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

WRs is all scheme fit 

There arent 32 schemes where he could come in and put up those numbers. He has Russell Wilson one of the world's best deep throwers

He had alot of injury concerns and they still can creep up

I had a late 2nd early 3rd tho his physical talent was always supreme. I thought he had too much injury baggage for a 1st round selection

That’s exactly why I didn’t want him in the 1st. 

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I was thrilled with Oliver and still am. We desperately needed help on the d-line and since it was a rich draft for lineman I was good with the kick. Maybe this is the year we go for a WR

What they desperately need is a big playmaking WR.

They've actually somehow been a WORSE scoring team since firing Rick Dennison.........30th in the NFL since Daboll arrived.  :thumbdown: 

I was a fan of the Ed Oliver pick........but Cody Ford over DK Metcalf was a bad choice.

Good rule of thumb to avoid fundamental mistakes like that...........draft guys at the big dollar "matchup" positions in early rounds.

Almost always a good supply of guards and RT's in FA........sometimes that years All Pros even.

It's definitely better to pay one of those dudes $10M per year on a short deal than have to compete for the available QB/PassRush/CB1/WR1/LT that the market has to offer.   Those players are usually very flawed.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Honestly a RB like Perine will be likely available in round 3-4.  That’s about where the Bills should look at getting some RB depth.  Mekhi Becton, T, Louisville, Jonathan Greenard, DE Florida, orare good picks if available in the 2nd.  Bryce Perkins, QB, UVA is a good developmental prospect at QB that would be a likely upgrade as a backup - probably a 4th rounder.   

Bills can go go heavy on Offense - DE is the position on D to address but that’s really it. 

I’m a fan of Perine. Not sure how Beane will view his tow truck driver incident. The way he plays reminds me of FredEx too. Kid can find yardage that shouldn’t be there with a decisive cut and leg drive. 

Not big on Perkins. I’ve watched him for a few years. His big games come from the receivers coming down with 50/50 balls that he shouldn’t throw. 

57 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m a fan of Perine. Not sure how Beane will view his tow truck driver incident. The way he plays reminds me of FredEx too. Kid can find yardage that shouldn’t be there with a decisive cut and leg drive. 

Not big on Perkins. I’ve watched him for a few years. His big games come from the receivers coming down with 50/50 balls that he shouldn’t throw. 

Perkins is a project, but one with enough upside to warrant a roster spot and enough ability to play.  He is a better passer than many give him credit for and his placement on a lot of those throws make them look like risky throws but he is placing them better than you think because of the percentage of times receivers do come down with the balls.  Just saying what people may be seeing as bad throws are actually confident throws into tight windows.  I've seen him get into a rhythm as a passer and be pretty consistent with quick reads of the defense and smart throws.  The NFL is an entirely different animal but a guy that knows how to get the ball out and read defenses can succeed, especially when necessary he can make time and yards with his feet and has a knack for keeping his eyes down field.  He isn't a top prospect, but he has more tangible traits that you can get by with out of the gate as a QB for a team built around a similar type athlete (without the rocket arm).  I think with good coaching he could be a really solid NFL backup that could be pretty effective for a few games, especially playing in the same system as Josh.  That's why I like him - I think he would be a good fit for the Bills team.  From everything I've read he is a pretty good person that has persevered through a broken neck and continued to improve.  No doubt the kid has determination and work ethic to be a good fit as well.

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

Perkins is a project, but one with enough upside to warrant a roster spot and enough ability to play.  He is a better passer than many give him credit for and his placement on a lot of those throws make them look like risky throws but he is placing them better than you think because of the percentage of times receivers do come down with the balls.  Just saying what people may be seeing as bad throws are actually confident throws into tight windows.  I've seen him get into a rhythm as a passer and be pretty consistent with quick reads of the defense and smart throws.  The NFL is an entirely different animal but a guy that knows how to get the ball out and read defenses can succeed, especially when necessary he can make time and yards with his feet and has a knack for keeping his eyes down field.  He isn't a top prospect, but he has more tangible traits that you can get by with out of the gate as a QB for a team built around a similar type athlete (without the rocket arm).  I think with good coaching he could be a really solid NFL backup that could be pretty effective for a few games, especially playing in the same system as Josh.  That's why I like him - I think he would be a good fit for the Bills team.  From everything I've read he is a pretty good person that has persevered through a broken neck and continued to improve.  No doubt the kid has determination and work ethic to be a good fit as well.

Living halfway between Durham and Charlotesville I’ve watched a ton of cavaliers games over the past few years. The kid will bypass underneath routes for chunk yardage, is inconsistent over the middle, and often has issues reading zone coverage. That said, he’s a hell of a person and a hell of an athlete. You’re on point on how he can get hot though. I’d be fine with them spending a 6th or 7th on Perkins. He’s worth taking a chance on. I just don’t think he’ll earn the backup spot. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If it makes you feel any better in 2016 the Saints drafted defense 1st and then went WR in the 2nd round. Some guy named Michael Thomas.

Just last year...Deebo, AJ Brown, DK, And McLaurin all taken in the 2nd or 3rd. This year’s WR class looks deeper. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What they desperately need is a big playmaking WR.

They've actually somehow been a WORSE scoring team since firing Rick Dennison.........30th in the NFL since Daboll arrived.  :thumbdown: 

I was a fan of the Ed Oliver pick........but Cody Ford over DK Metcalf was a bad choice.

Good rule of thumb to avoid fundamental mistakes like that...........draft guys at the big dollar "matchup" positions in early rounds.

Almost always a good supply of guards and RT's in FA........sometimes that years All Pros even.

It's definitely better to pay one of those dudes $10M per year on a short deal than have to compete for the available QB/PassRush/CB1/WR1/LT that the market has to offer.   Those players are usually very flawed.

When Cody Ford slips into the LG spot and becomes an All Pro there next year....you might feel differerntly.

Spain is probably gonna get paid by somebody

11 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Just last year...Deebo, AJ Brown, DK, And McLaurin all taken in the 2nd or 3rd. This year’s WR class looks deeper. 

Would very much like to see the bills take 2 turns at the plate in the high rounds at WR in this draft

I was a huge Deebo fan last draft

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

When Cody Ford slips into the LG spot and becomes an All Pro there next year....you might feel differerntly.

Spain is probably gonna get paid by somebody

Would very much like to see the bills take 2 turns at the plate in the high rounds at WR in this draft

I was a huge Deebo fan last draft

Yes, the old “change position and become an All-Pro” trick. It’s worked well in the past for players like Cyrus Kujo, Greg Robinson, and Jake Fisher.

• Haha (+1) 1

I was watching the bowl games to watch the WR's, RB's, and also to watch LB's because the Bills will need one in the 2nd-4th round. There are several WR's that are fast with good hands but a lot of times they have free releases because the CB's are not on the same level. It wont be like that in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I was watching the bowl games to watch the WR's, RB's, and also to watch LB's because the Bills will need one in the 2nd-4th round. There are several WR's that are fast with good hands but a lot of times they have free releases because the CB's are not on the same level. It wont be like that in the NFL. 

Sure, but there are some teams that will give you a good idea of how well a player can do if they play against good defensive backs.  I think some guys are being keyed on because of their speed, size, and production - but the most telling thing about how good they might be is how well they run routes and create separation, especially against press coverage, and how well they adjust their routes to the ball and defenders while the ball is in the air.  It's one of the hardest positions to evaluate and get right in the draft because the position is so dependent on so many other factors.  A good blocker, a good route runner and good adjustment are the only things that you can really count on in evaluating them, and how much extra can be coached versus some traits just being who they are.  What makes a great WR is pretty elusive.  Every once in a while you just see a guy that is undeniable like Randy Moss, Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson, but for every guy like that there are 3-4 guys that are supposed to be that good and never materialize into that game changer (Sammy Watkins anyone?!!) and you usually have a couple of guys that no one ever thought would be all-pro talent rise out of nowhere.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:13 PM, Estro said:

The lesser known of the 3 WR's that play for Alabama really caught my eye this season:

Devonta Smith

Fast, runs good routes, agile, and has great hands.  They say he has the best hands of all the WR's @ Bama.

Jerry Jeudy actually said this about Davonta. He is just that good. The kid makes fully extended catches. He has long arms and gets up very high. He has good speed and can even block.

I have been talking him up all season. In a normal draft he would be a top 10-15 pick. It might even happen in 2020 but the are more quality wide receivers than I have ever seen in a draft.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jerry Jeudy actually said this about Davonta. He is just that good. The kid makes fully extended catches. He has long arms and gets up very high. He has good speed and can even block.

I have been talking him up all season. In a normal draft he would be a top 10-15 pick. It might even happen in 2020 but the are more quality wide receivers than I have ever seen in a draft.

Yeah he looks like a good prospect.  I originally thought of Waddle - who looks really special.  I'm not sure how his stock will shake out.  All of those WRs at Alabama kind of take the pressure off of each other, so its hard to assess them, but Jeudy is clearly the one that is going to go the highest.

Edited by Ayjent

9 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Yeah he looks like a good prospect.  I originally thought of Waddle - who looks really special.  I'm not sure how his stock will shake out.  All of those WRs at Alabama kind of take the pressure off of each other, so its hard to assess them, but Jeudy is clearly the one that is going to go the highest.

Waddle is an incoming junior and will be back. There is a chance that he will be the best WR in the country and he almost certainly will be the best special team return man. He might already be.

That kid has moves that I have never seen. There was a video of him racing Ruggs and he only lost by a half step. I hope that Bama will have a few more receivers next season to take coverage away from him. They will almost certainly have a better running game.

Yeah, Waddle will be one to watch in 2020.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:56 AM, Bill from NYC said:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.