[Incomplete Title] PFF’s all-pro team has ...

Other PFF gems. 
going into last years draft after signing Kevin Johnson and EJ Gaines (with Levi Wallace returning) and Ed Oliver still on their board when we picked, they said we should pick CB Byron Murphy!!!!

this year I checked their first mock draft and they Siam we really need to go CB!!!!

i dont know if they aren’t paying attention or don’t know what they’re doing. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

That's just over 30 yds a game. I'm ok with that

According to Pro Football Reference he gave up 626 yards, about 42 YPG. That is actually really good considering he is always going against the #1 WR and he plays every snap. He was only targeted 6 times per game on average, that alone should tell you what teams think of him. He intercepted 15% of his targets and allowed 0 TDs.

With all of the above statistics readily available to anyone that wants to look, PFF rates him as merely an average #1 CB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

According to Pro Football Reference he gave up 626 yards, about 42 YPG. That is actually really good considering he is always going against the #1 WR and he plays every snap. He was only targeted 6 times per game on average, that alone should tell you what teams think of him. He intercepted 15% of his targets and allowed 0 TDs.

With all of the above statistics readily available to anyone that wants to look, PFF rates him as merely an average #1 CB.

its laughable. 

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

In their defense, the other data that PFF produces is quite good.  For instance success rate on 4th down etc.   I think these analytics can be helpful for game management.  I’ll give them a pass therr.

I agree 100%. Their objective data is really good and probably worth paying for if you have a job in NFL media. They track certain advanced stats that you can't find anywhere else.

As for their subjective player grades, as far as I know they are compiled by interns that graduate from their online training program. Here's what I mean:

https://www.pff.com/news/get-involved

If you love football, have some extra time on your hands, and want to be involved with a group of people whose paramount objective is to drive knowledge of football to new levels and have fun doing it, then you certainly should apply.

If you are simply interested in earning some extra cash, I think you’ll find you won’t fit in.

In working for PFF you will contribute to the analysis and statistics that make PFF so unique. Every person from CEO to newest member of the team has started off working on the collation of player participation data that can take upwards of 20 hours per game to collect initially and, although this does reduce considerably with experience, it is not for the faint of heart. Producing this data improves your knowledge of the game and put you in a position to represent the PFF brand through written content, etc.

In return, Pro Football Focus offers training, an opportunity for you to develop your own profile on a highly regarded media platform...

This is not a full time position and there are no guarantees it will ever lead to one. You will be required to produce work during the regular season to a deadline, but at your own convenience. While we do pay for high quality work, if you are doing this purely for financial reward, the position is not for you.

So, nothing against the underpaid interns that spend 20+ hours a week compiling their player grades, but there is no reason to blindly trust what they say.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

They actually aren’t all that similar outside of sacks.

Aaron Donald QB hits - 24

Jordan Phillips QB hits - 16

Donald sacks - 13.5

Phillips sacks - 9.5

AD TFLs - 20

JP TFLs - 13

Not really “very similar” at all.

You're right.  On a per snap basis Phillips is way ahead of Donald.

AD snap count: 926

JP snap count: 543

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You're right.  On a per snap basis Phillips is way ahead of Donald.

AD snap count: 926

JP snap count: 543

And that doesn’t matter. 

There’s someone out out there right now who is averaging a sack every ten snaps because they haven’t played that much this season. That person isn’t an All-Pro either.

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wait what?

Targeted 6x per game and 42 YPG allowed so he allowed 7 yards per target? How does that rank with other #1 CB’s (who also go up against #1 WRs all the time)?

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

And that doesn’t matter. 

There’s someone out out there right now who is averaging a sack every ten snaps because they haven’t played that much this season. That person isn’t an All-Pro either.

There is?  Who?

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

And that doesn’t matter. 

I hesitate to say that is stupid but that is stupid. 543 snaps is playing a lot for a DT and you know it. It's not at all a one in ten snap example.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I hesitate to say that is stupid but that is stupid. 543 snaps is playing a lot for a DT and you know it. It's not at all a one in ten snap example.

Awe man.  I wanted to find out who first so that I could find out its some dude that has 30 snaps on the year and has 3 sacks.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But the point remains. It doesn’t matter if you have lesser production because you played less snaps. Sacks per snap, or yards per snap, or catches per snap are not and never have been the criterion for individual awards.

If a WR only plays 10 games, puts up 1000 yards and 8 TD’s, and another WR plays 16 games, puts up 1400 yards and 11 TD’s, WR #2 will be the one who has a better case for a WR award, regardless of “less production per snap.” That’s just how it is.

Edited by BringBackOrton

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

But the point remains. It doesn’t matter if you have lesser production because you played less snaps. Sacks per snap, or yards per snap, or catches per snap are not and never have been the criterion for individual awards.

If a WR only plays 10 games, puts up 1000 yards and 8 TD’s, and another WR plays 16 games, puts up 1400 yards and 11 TD’s, WR #2 will be the one who has a better case for a WR award, regardless of “less production per snap.” That’s just how it is.

I have a great idea! Make that your response. Not a guy with 30 snaps. 

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Targeted 6x per game and 42 YPG allowed so he allowed 7 yards per target? How does that rank with other #1 CB’s (who also go up against #1 WRs all the time)?

Yeah he allowed 6.9 yards per target this year. I'll again just go with the 4 CBs PFF selected as their all pros:

Stephon Gilmore: 5.8 yards per target

Richard Sherman: 5.5 yards per target

Casey Hayward: 8.2 yards per target 

Quinton Dunbar: 6.8 yards per target

If the argument was over White being #4 or #6, whatever. But they've ranked him #15. It's indefensible. He's allowing the 2nd lowest passer rating in the league (at least I think so, I can't find a comprehensive list).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah he allowed 6.9 yards per target this year. I'll again just go with the 4 CBs PFF selected as their all pros:

Stephon Gilmore: 5.8 yards per target

Richard Sherman: 5.5 yards per target

Casey Hayward: 8.2 yards per target 

Quinton Dunbar: 6.8 yards per target

If the argument was over White being #4 or #6, whatever. But they've ranked him #15. It's indefensible. He's allowing the 2nd lowest passer rating in the league (at least I think so, I can't find a comprehensive list).

Did they rank him 15th this week or before? The writer dude said “fell just short.”

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Did they rank him 15th this week or before? The writer dude said “fell just short.”

I don't know why he said he fell "just short." He is their #15 CB on the season.

I finally found a credible post that confirms this: