[Incomplete Title] PFF’s all-pro team has ...

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

One of PFF's analysts had an awful thread about Tre White's absence on this list:

Does PFF know about zone defense? This is crazy.

Here's a bonus just for fun:

2 hours ago, Luka said:

PFF loves to cherry pick stats. They are essentially message board trolls that charge to read their terrible takes.

Exactly!

To use this guy's method (of cherry picking stats), then Gilmore is not an All-pro either:

Per PFF's own stats, he is ranked 41st in tackles (by a CB) and he's tied for 25th in receptions allowed

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/stephon-gilmore/7016

And per PlayerProfiler.com, he's 22nd in receptions allowed, 19th in yards allowed, and 30th in yards allowed per reception. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/stephon-gilmore/

Looking at those rankings alone (41st, 25th, 22nd, 19th, and 30th), then obviously Gilmore may be good, but not an All-Pro (as he stated about Tre)---per similar standards.

Now let's look at Tre vs. Gilmore in the stats that actually count (per pro-football-reference.com), not made-up guesstimations by someone on PFF's staff:

Player   Targets  Completions  Comp. %  Passes Defended  Yards allowed  Yds/comp. TDs allowed  INTs  Tackles (solo)  FF   FR  Sacks    TDs

Gilmore    101              51              50.5                  20                         582                  11.4                0                6           53 (44)         0      1        0            2

White         91              45               49.5                  17                         626                  13.9                0                6           58 (48)         2      0        1            0

They both had All-Pro seasons!

From Next Gen Stats:

"In 2017, the Patriots signed CB Stephon Gilmore away from the division rival Bills. In the same off-season, Tre'Davious White was drafted by the Buffalo Bills to replace Gilmore. This season, both have dominated with comparable coverage numbers." [Among them defensive success rate: 60% for Tre, 63% for Gilmore; and in yards per target; passer rating; and completion percentage).]

"Stephon Gilmore & Tre'Davious White have been in their own league in terms of not allowing a TD given their target volume. They are the only two players in the NFL to be targeted 50+ times as the nearest defender and not allow a TD." 

How this guy can think that Gilmore is All-Pro #1 CB in the league and Tre isn't even in the conversation for All-Pro, when their stats are almost identical, is beyond me and obviously shows some type of bias. He says there is more to playing CB than preventing TDs. Ok, but I'm struggling to think what is more important than preventing the other team from scoring and taking the ball away from them (which Tre did 8 times to Gilmore's 7 when you add in FF and FR). And he says Tre's interceptions were based on luck and bad QB play, so apparently his 6 count less than Gilmore's 6. Did Gilmore face only All-Pro QBs all year? He mentions Tre getting two off of Duck Hodges, well on the same day Gilmore got two off of Dalton---who was benched earlier in the season because of bad play and doesn't have an offensive line or anyone to throw the ball to except for Boyd. And none of Gilmore's interceptions had an element of luck (like a tipped pass)? Of course not, Gilmore's were all skill and Tre's were all luck. Yeah, right. And he harps on Tre's yards allowed when he only allowed 2.75 yards more per game than Gilmore. This guy is either an idiot or a person with a biased agenda.

Edited by folz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Jordan Phillips

Jordan Phillips is good, but he’s not all pro. He doesn’t get penetration sacks like Kyle Williams used to. The majority of his sacks were opportunity sacks (I’ll take them too). He’s a good team player that brings energy to the team and fans. This defense is reminiscent of the Dolphins “No Name Defense” in the ‘70’s. Really good, but lacking the named star players. It’s nice to see an unselfish, cohesive team play together with just one goal, WIN!

7 minutes ago, jabu said:

Jordan Phillips is good, but he’s not all pro. He doesn’t get penetration sacks like Kyle Williams used to. The majority of his sacks were opportunity sacks (I’ll take them too). He’s a good team player that brings energy to the team and fans. This defense is reminiscent of the Dolphins “No Name Defense” in the ‘70’s. Really good, but lacking the named star players. It’s nice to see an unselfish, cohesive team play together with just one goal, WIN!

Yeah I think I am very biased towards the guy. He has a high motor, loves the team, and has a lot of fun out there. He brings a unique kind of energy.

PFF is bad...but I can't resist tripping over myself in a rush to post anything they say..

Why? Just ignore them. They're job is get you fall all over yourself at everything they post and they seem to wrap a bunch of you around their finger. 

Edited by jeremy2020

3 hours ago, Luka said:

Jordan Phillips is clearly the other guy on the Bills defense that deserves consideration. He has made some absolutely game changing plays this year and his stats are very similar to Aaron Donald's while playing nearly 25% less snaps.

100% agree...I think you could make a strong case for Phillips being our defensive MVP, though I won't quibble with Tre'Davious.  I really hope they can re-sign him.

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

a good team can have a lot of good players without having the #1 at a position. Likewise a bad team can have the #1 at a position.

tre is really the only one with a strong case, no?

Yep. Outside of Tre, this team doesn't really have any PREMIERE players. As far as I'm concerned, that's more of a compliment to McDermott than a slight to the team. They're gonna need young guys like Edmunds and Allen to emerge to REALLY "get there," but their focus appears to be acquiring guys who fit the system and "culture,"

Say whatever you want about McDermott, but this guy has done an unbelievable job at maximizing win totals with average rosters. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

That's because we have no all pro caliber players. We do, on the other hand,  have great coaching and leadership from McDermott who deserves COY IMO. I hope they win on Saturday for McDermott . That would end any question about who deserves COY more.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

That's because we have no all pro caliber players. We do, on the other hand,  have great coaching and leadership from McDermott who deserves COY IMO. I hope they win on Saturday for McDermott . That would end any question about who deserves COY more.

White is either the best or the second best DB in the league.