[Incomplete Title] PFF’s all-pro team has ...

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Out of curiosity, do we know where he landed in their rankings? is the argument 6 vs 3 or is it 14 vs 3?

PFF makes you pay (lol) to see their rankings. I saw a post on Twitter that said he was ranked 13th a couple weeks ago. A more recent post says 15th. So somewhere outside the top 10 which is ridiculous. He and Gilmore are the only 2 starting CBs I can find that allowed a passer rating below 50 for the season.

EDIT: I found a few other posts that say he's ranked 15th as of the end of the season, so that appears to be definitive.

Edited by HappyDays

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Who were your obvious snubs besides Tre White?

Let me go one step further. Who, besides Tre, on the Bills defense has a CASE for an All Pro selection by the AP this year?

Jordan Phillips is clearly the other guy on the Bills defense that deserves consideration. He has made some absolutely game changing plays this year and his stats are very similar to Aaron Donald's while playing nearly 25% less snaps.

• Like (+1) 2

White is an all-pro talent no doubt. He is as good as anyone in the NFL right now. But I think he is a notch below the truly great ones like Seahawks version of Sherman and Revis. Maybe that is scheme and maybe it is White.

I hope McD puts White on Hopkins the entire game.  Hopkins demands a double team all game. It would be no secret that White is on him man to man but the rest of the defense can still be disguised play to play.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Jordan Phillips is clearly the other guy on the Bills defense that deserves consideration. He has made some absolutely game changing plays this year and his stats are very similar to Aaron Donald's while playing nearly 25% less snaps.

Deserves consideration yes I agree. I still don't think he is a dominant force, and not worthy of top DT money. Many of his plays are hustle plays which is great. But I don't think he straight up beats his man most of the time. He is a very good DT. All thing being equal he should get paid around 15th best DT money. But he will ask for more and some team will probably pay him more like top 10 money. Too much cap room around the league. Maybe it will be Buffalo but with H.Phillips coming back and Oliver I bet they let J.Phillips walk. I'd prefer they cut Star, tag Phillips so they don't have to commit long term and draft 4 more front 7 players( Two OLB, Edge, and 1 technique DT).

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Luka said:

They actually aren’t all that similar outside of sacks.

Aaron Donald QB hits - 24

Jordan Phillips QB hits - 16

Donald sacks - 13.5

Phillips sacks - 9.5

AD TFLs - 20

JP TFLs - 13

Not really “very similar” at all.

17 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Who were your obvious snubs besides Tre White?

Let me go one step further. Who, besides Tre, on the Bills defense has a CASE for an All Pro selection by the AP this year?

I strongly believe Micah Hyde is one of the best safeties in the league. He runs that defense out there.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

They actually aren’t all that similar outside of sacks.

Aaron Donald QB hits - 24

Jordan Phillips QB hits - 16

Donald sacks - 13.5

Phillips sacks - 9.5

AD TFLs - 20

JP TFLs - 13

Not really “very similar” at all.

Aaron Donald 76% of snaps, Phillips 57% snaps. Of course you left that out though lol

• Like (+1) 4

I’m glad someone included the tweets where the PFF employee attempted to explaining Tre White’s season. 

When looking at some of their rankings the first thought is whatever parameters they are using aren’t working and that these guys are dip sticks.

When you read his round about  explanation of Tre and it ends at TJ Carrie then you have all the proof you need. 

These guys are certainly dip sticks. 

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

PFF makes you pay (lol) to see their rankings. I saw a post on Twitter that said he was ranked 13th a couple weeks ago. A more recent post says 15th. So somewhere outside the top 10 which is ridiculous. He and Gilmore are the only 2 starting CBs I can find that allowed a passer rating below 50 for the season.

EDIT: I found a few other posts that say he's ranked 15th as of the end of the season, so that appears to be definitive.

Any site that grades White as the 15th best CB in the league is useless.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Luka said:

Aaron Donald 76% of snaps, Phillips 57% snaps. Of course you left that out though lol

Is that supposed to help your argument? That he doesn’t get on the field as much? 

It’s an award based on the players’ performance on the field. Not being on the field HARMS their argument.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It is also completely hilarious that Shaq Barrett didn’t even make their second team. 19.5 sacks, 37 qb hits, 6 forced fumbles, and a pick. He was utterly dominant.

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Is that supposed to help your argument? That he doesn’t get on the field as much? 

It’s an award based on the players’ performance on the field. Not being on the field HARMS their argument.

I definitely agree with you about this.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He also says that there were 21 plays in which he was beat and the qb didn’t connect, but doesn’t mention that the Bills played 5 games in absolutely dreadful conditions for qbs (4 with 20+ mph winds) that will change how a defense approaches its pass D.

Using inverse logic, Josh Allen should be first team all-pro, because I'm sure that he leads the league in plays where the WR had the CB beat, but the QB didn't connect.

• Haha (+1) 2

The problem with PFF is that it’s all opinion based. It’s one thing if coaches are assigning grades or creating a formula to give their players a score.  That makes a little more sense since they know exactly what the call and player responsibility should be.  But the PFF are simply guessing.  I’m sure that they have spent a lot of time learning the game but, again, people take their ratings as though they are “god” when it’s not the case.  

The other thing that gets me are the made up statistics like “interceptable passes” or near QB-WR connections.  These stars are totally useless.  

In their defense, the other data that PFF produces is quite good.  For instance success rate on 4th down etc.   I think these analytics can be helpful for game management.  I’ll give them a pass therr.

The rest of their info like grades are largely speculatory.  

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It is also completely hilarious that Shaq Barrett didn’t even make their second team. 19.5 sacks, 37 qb hits, 6 forced fumbles, and a pick. He was utterly dominant.

I definitely agree with you about this.

On Shaq Barrett....

One time Adrian Clayborn had 6 sacks in a single game against a sixth string LT. So we aren’t saying he deserved all six but probably that  3 of them were legit. 3x16= 48. Barrett isn’t even half of the player as Clayborn. We have him listed as 240th ranked pass rusher. 

Yada yada