The reason Knox has drop issues

3 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

We may have lead the league in drops, but not only because of Knox. Don’t forget Zay. He dropped passes like it was going out of style.

Last year. He played in the first four games, 18 targets, 7 receptions, 1 drop ( if the Fox sports numbers are to be believed.)

I agree that we had too many drops from everybody. Beasely also pissed me off with some of his crucial drops. Yeldon and Brown are the only ones I have no quarrel with. 
    Yeldon aught to be in as a dump off receiver. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not too worried about Knox. I predict him to be out breakout player next year. The concentration drops are easily coached out of him. He blocks very well and he's a freak athlete. When he puts it all together he's going to be a monster.

The kid has George Kittle type ability if he can be a better pass catcher IMO

11 hours ago, Doc said:

His problem is he looks to run before he secures the catch.

I think it’s as simple as he is better at catching with his body.

Needs to be a priority in off season to be better at catching with his hands.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

You were the one banging the drum for the Bills to draft him in the 1st round.

Sure, why not?  Imagine if Hockenson had a second year top 10 pick QB throwing to him instead of David Blough and Jeff Driskel. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Sure, why not?  Imagine if Hockenson had a second year top 10 pick QB throwing to him instead of David Blough and Jeff Driskel. 

He wasn't exactly lighting-it-up with Stafford.  And would probably have similar numbers in the Bills' offense.

2 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Eh... I don't buy that excuse, his hands are literally a foot apart from each other on many of his drops. Horrendous fundamentals at times. 

I haven’t seen every drop by him, but on the ones I did see, he was looking to run before he secured the catch.  Is there a link anywhere to his drops?

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

I haven’t seen every drop by him, but on the ones I did see, he was looking to run before he secured the catch.  Is there a link anywhere to his drops?

Not sure but here's one i had hanging around on my phone. This was vs Baltimore i think.

20191208-145753.jpg

3 hours ago, Doc said:

He wasn't exactly lighting-it-up with Stafford.  And would probably have similar numbers in the Bills' offense.

The obvious difference is that with Hockenson, you are starting with a guy who already is a TE who can catch passes.

On 1/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?season=2019&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Ten drops in fifty targets is unacceptable!

Worse yet, easily catchable ball drops. 
Even worse, drive killers.

I don’t care how tough he is or what kind of circus catches he makes, I don’t trust him because he is the opposite of reliable.

10 drops on 50 targets is unacceptable I fully agree. However Knox was a very raw prospect who wasn't supposed to come in as the starter. He was supposed to be a backup to Kroft but Kroft got hurt and he was thrust into action. Knox didn't play much receiver in college so he is going to have some growing pains. I think after getting a full season in and getting another off-season to develop and practice his receiving Knox will be a more consistent player in 2020. I would still like to see them cut Kroft and bring in a vet receiving TE just to take some pressure off of Knox and make it so that he doesn't have to be thrust in over his head if he needs another year to develop. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The obvious difference is that with Hockenson, you are starting with a guy who already is a TE who can catch passes.

I've seen a lot of TE's who looked good in college and fizzled out in the pros.  The fact is, you don't need to spend a 1st rounder on a TE.  In any given year,  only 1 or 2 former-1st rounders make the top-15 in receiving.  And this year, Hock wasn't worth taking over Oliver both in foresight and hindsight.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, Doc said:

His problem is he looks to run before he secures the catch.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, klos63 said:

All receivers run before they catch the ball, that's how most pass patterns are designed. The better ones don't drop the ball though.

I think Knox will turn out to be a good player,  just needs to be more consistent ,which should come with more experience.

I think you missed the key word in Doc's post. Let me help you out, "...he LOOKS to run before securing the catch." He's looking downfield BEFORE securing the ball.

I thought his meaning was obvious.  Yes guys run while they are catching,  but where their eyes are focussed is the key here.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, to be fair, he would NEED a higher ceiling. He’s like 6’4” and Singletary is a tiny 5’7”, hardly ducking to get thru doorways!

Seriously, I love what Knox could become. Look the ball in, let things slow down for you and he could be a crazy steal nobody saw coming!  

Except maybe that evil genius BB who traded out the pick after us when we took Knox.

18 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Except maybe that evil genius BB who traded out the pick after us when we took Knox.

That could be, but it seems that one weakness the evil genius has is that he's not a drafting genius. But you make a very good point, he may have had his eye on Knox.  

You hear people complain that he failed to address TE, and that may have been his play to replace Gronk. 

Edited by Augie