Is the NFL really a passing league?

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Its really simple

When you play from behind you have to air it out.

When your ahead you can be more balanced.

This is really all you need /lock thread.

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

IMO you need the horses to do a shootout when necessarily in playoffs.

Actually defense prevails in playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

1959, after we win Saturday, I’m going to toast everyone and just enjoy Henry pounding it down the Pats throat.  I hope they f%#&k are so embarrassed in such a humiliating loss.  Then one of you guys can copy and paste the Pats fan thread so we all can laugh hearing them cry.

...sure as hell would love a beast like that to compliment Singeltary........hell, "OBD version of "Thunder 'n Lightning" has a nice ring to it............

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Couldn't agree more Old Time.  I’ve been banging that drum for a while in the draft.

...imagine how much that facet could help Josh get to the next level?...........not being able to see college ball, who/what would be our draft options?....I'm probably dead wrong (as usual), but I think McBeane would look to the later rounds for a gem (uncanny knack at finding them) versus early on...what do you think?..........

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Why the Bills have not taken advantage of this with Yeldon and Singletary is beyond me. We seem to keep 90% of our passing game in the intermediate game, which is why it is so innefective. 

In my dreams it's because they will be unleashed in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

1959, after we win Saturday, I’m going to toast everyone and just enjoy Henry pounding it down the Pats throat.  I hope they f%#&k are so embarrassed in such a humiliating loss.  Then one of you guys can copy and paste the Pats fan thread so we all can laugh hearing them cry.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Couldn't agree more Old Time.  I’ve been banging that drum for a while in the draft.

Ok... what's really going on here?  

??? 

Happy new year Bills Fans!!!

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

We seem to keep 90% of our passing game in the intermediate game, which is why it is so innefective. 

Boring?  Unnecessarily conservative at times?  Sure.

But when a team clinches a playoff berth after 14 games played, I don't think anything they're doing can be considered ineffective.

The play calls are usually not the reason the Bills are not scoring more points.  The players on the field not executing the called plays have been the reason for low points scored more often than not.

I've been very critical of Daboll from day one.  But looking back, I have to admit that a lot of it is not his fault.

• Like (+1) 2

It's never really been a passing league in terms of total yards. That's a myth. Consensus top two teams this year and backed by seeding are the Ravens and 49ers. They are 1 and 2 overall respectively in rushing yards. 49ers are 13th in passing yards and Ravens are 27th. That's one spot lower than the Bills 26th ranked passing offense.

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's never really been a passing league in terms of total yards. That's a myth. Consensus top two teams this year and backed by seeding are the Ravens and 49ers. They are 1 and 2 overall respectively in rushing yards. 49ers are 13th in passing yards and Ravens are 27th. That's one spot lower than the Bills 26th ranked passing offense.

so this will cause fans to think for ten seconds and realize stats don’t really mean all that much to winning?

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Great analysis by billsfan1959. Lamar is an anomaly, but it seems the more balanced offenses are the best. 4 of the top 5 rushing teams and 7 of the top 10 are in the playoffs. 

So I tend to agree that this is not a passing league as 1 of the top 5 (KC) and only 3 of the top 10 passing teams made the playoffs.

The other factor to take into account is RB's catching the ball out of the backfield. RB's like McCaffrey, Eckeler, Kamara, Cohen, Fournette and TE's Kelce, Waller, Ertz, Kittle all had more REC than our #1 John Brown. The short passing game is more like running the ball. The completion percentage is much higher. 

Why the Bills have not taken advantage of this with Yeldon and Singletary is beyond me. We seem to keep 90% of our passing game in the intermediate game, which is why it is so innefective. Josh Allen ranked #32 in completion percentage as he is forced to throw into tight windows where defenders know and anticipate the play. We failed miserably with the deep balls and took very few shots. We failed miserably with the screen game by not calling enough screens, RPO's and short passes. We had moderate success with the intermediate game with Brown and Beasley, but dropped balls stalled many a drive.  I really hope we see some diversity and new wrinkles in the offense this week or I pray that Cleveland is stupid enough to hire Daboll as a head coach.

Have you seen the Bills try to set up the screen or work the short passing game? For the most part execution was poor- ran correctly and it opens up so much more.

I'm as big a believer in you have to run and stop the run and be better than everyone in the trenches as anyone.  

But there's a simple explanation to the 5 QBs shown in the OP and why if you wanted to use this as evidence that its not a passing league is inaccurate.  What it is, and has been for 20 years, is largely a passing league ---but.  Its not that simple.  Anyway..

Winston.  30 INTs.  Enough said.  And their defense (at least before they cut Hargreaves*) couldn't stop a nose bleed.  And absolutely zero running game.  

*The Texans were so terrible on D they signed him.

Dak.  Big chunk plays.  Lots of stalled drives in between getting no points.  And garbage yards.  Lots of his success was early in the season against awful defenses.  

Goff.  They couldn't run the ball.  And their defense was a mess.  

Rivers.  They couldn't run the ball either.  Their running game was throw it to Eckeler.

Ryan.  Ladies and gentlemen the champion of garbage yards for 2019.  When his team was down often 3 or 4 scores, no one cranked it up like this team.  Who by the way, also could not run the ball. 

Lesson.  You need to be able to have a legitimate running game.  Despite having Gordon, Freeman, and Gurley, it doesn't matter when your oline is terrible.  When its 3rd and 4, you aren't scared to run it.  You need to have a defense to keep you in games.  If they do, you don't feel the urgency to throw 45 times a game.  The league's defenses have adjusted to a lot of the passing, and as a result if you can run it, especially with 11 personnel on the field you're in great shape.  This is made easier bc teams are hitting and tackling less.  And have gotten smaller and quicker on D.  

Also for what it's worth, Dallas, Atlanta, and the Chargers are pathetically coached specifically on offense.  I don't get the Lynn love at all.

Also for what it's worth, the Rams won 9 games.  Dallas 8.  The Bucs somehow won 7.  

With regard to Lamar, who I agree is an anomaly and will likely never duplicate this season, it is pretty clear that his lofty passing stats were much more due to teams worrying about his running, versus lofty running stats because teams were worried about his passing. Many of his TDs were to guys left all alone. 

• Like (+1) 1