The Athletic All-22: Why the film shows Duke Williams should be active in the playoffs

On 1/1/2020 at 6:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

So we are thin at corner and the Athletic thinks one of our healthy ones should be used as a gunner? Yea.... not happening. 

If they are activating Duke the way I see you do it is by sitting a tight end and having all 6 receivers up. Roberts and Foster are not really up for offense they are up for special teams and I think making a significant change to your special teams groupings in a playoff game is fraught with danger. 

Yep- Knox, Croft, and Duke! Duke!! 

17 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

In this new NFL and new rules I devalue ALL Special Teams with the exception of the kicker. Gunners do nothing but run fast and put on the brakes for a fair catch. How many turnovers or points has any member of our ST generated outside of Hauschka? Zero!  Find me a 6-3 gunner who can catch a ball 20 yards downfield and we'll talk.

I think you're actually arguing FOR the importance of good gunners on punt cover teams. It is the pressure these guys put on the returner that forces a fair catch.

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think you overestimate Robert Foster as a gunner.

Dude's not Steve Tasker.

He looks pretty good. I mean he is fast and tennacios, and I only ever see him doubled.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Roberts is not well understood her at times, or so it seems.
He never drops the ball. and when Coach tell him to bring it out  he does.

Is top notch in returns and i would never risk Hyde back there again this year. as far as usage? Game plan dependant.

If he takes foster's targets away we get a better blocker ,and chance of increased  receptions per target. nd change in the playbook with route trees run

I couldn’t care any less if they deactivate Foster (they won’t) for Williams. But those saying Andre Roberts should be deactivated (even if healthy) for Duke Williams is asinine. 

there are players like Senorise Perry and Lee Smith (won’t get deactivated either because of Watt) you can deactivate. So it looks like Perry would be the Target if you want Williams Active. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If the Bills are going to lose, let it be with as few “what ifs” as possible. Best to give a Duke an opportunity. Could also mean that Roberts can’t play. 

Could be.  He is questionable still.  I hope not though.  While I don't think he is going to break one... I also don't think he will fumble the kick.

• Like (+1) 1

I expect at least one deep shot to Duke today and I expect Allen to give him a fighting chance to catch it.

Yes, Duke is not a burner.

But he's evidently a good enough route runner to get open down the field as we saw last week from those 2 deep passes.

Today is going to be interesting. I'm excited and nervous.