GM Dorsey meeting with Haslam - He's out

Reed83HOF

19 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Im not sure how much input McDaniel had in Tebow  . . .

I'd heard at the time drafting Tebow was his idea.   But you never know what to believe -- when something doesn't work out, there's no shortage of leaks from people who want you to know it wasn't their fault.

BTW you're absolutely right about everything else you said.

Edited by Ennjay

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it's really great theater.......quite the dichotomy....

1. Jones-Snyder-Haslam: all bought their way in to a "big boy toy" and are still confined to their playpens (Jones has JJ to thank for SB's PERIOD).

2. "Just Gimme The Keys Daddy"-Chargers/Spanos, Cards/Bidwell Jr, Raiders/Davis; how we doing so far?

3. Steven Ross/Stan Kroenke-huh?

4. The Fords/Lions-98 % of all Fords put on the road in the last decade are still on the road today; the other 2% made it home.

5. Steelers-non meddling ownership; 3 HC's in 49 years; six Lombardis on the shlf

I give credit to the Pegulas for figuring this out.  Between the Bills and the Sabres, they realized (eventually) that buying a pro sports franchise doesn't mean you know how to own (meaning operate) one.  It took the Rooneys maybe 40 years to figure that out.  After previous fiascos (Rex, Brandon, TMurray ....) the Pegulas eventually realized they didn't know what they were doing and got out of the way.  I know the Sabres aren't there yet but they're in better shape than they were in two and three years ago.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

I'd heard at the time drafting Tebow was his idea.   But you never know what to believe -- when something doesn't work out, there's no shortage of leaks from people who want you to know it wasn't their fault.

BTW you're absolutely right about everything else you said.

Good memory- mines not so great lol! Thanks and Happy New Years ?

40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

English blues-rock group, mid to late 60s.  Good music.  Also, a fun band name to bellow when you’re standing inebriated in line, waiting to get in the ‘Locker Room’, Delaware Ave., mid to late 70s.  “Sa-VOY BROWN”!

Ah the ole Locker Box hahahaha- ***** I love the name now lol

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Groin said:

Brutal?  Yes indeed it is.  Dorsey apparently threw Kitchens under the bus yesterday, and today he himself got stomped.  I'm trying to think of a rational person who would stake their professional reputation on running that organization, and I'm yet to come up with a single name.  DePodesta should wear armor on his backside.

Indeed. 

If I were Daboll, I would call back and say "Thanks, I'm Good."

If the de facto guy running the organization is out in LaJolla that's just one more barrier to building a working relationship that a new HC does not need

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

But he can certainly beat a fans ass if he comes down to the tunnel

I'd say that depends on the fan

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

But haslam, in addition to being incompetent, is a criminal.

I see little hope for the long-suffering Browns fans as long as he is around. I hope I’m wrong as I feel we share similar pain. I’d like to beat them in every ACF Championship game for the next 20 years.  ?

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indeed. 

If the de facto guy running the organization is out in LaJolla that's just one more barrier to building a working relationship that a new HC does not need

I was thinking exactly the bolded above.  When I think of the movie "Gladiator," I think of Joachim Phoenix pointing his thumb downwards on the Browns.

In as much as Daboll is likely not a long term solution as OC with the Bills, if he takes that job then that's probably the end for him for a HC gig in the NFL.

Edited by Groin

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it's really great theater.......quite the dichotomy....

1. Jones-Snyder-Haslam: all bought their way in to a "big boy toy" and are still confined to their playpens (Jones has JJ to thank for SB's PERIOD).

2. "Just Gimme The Keys Daddy"-Chargers/Spanos, Cards/Bidwell Jr, Raiders/Davis; how we doing so far?

3. Steven Ross/Stan Kroenke-huh?

4. The Fords/Lions-98 % of all Fords put on the road in the last decade are still on the road today; the other 2% made it home.

5. Steelers-non meddling ownership; 3 HC's in 49 years; six Lombardis on the shlf

It also helped the Rooney's in that the AFC Central/North was fairly weak during those 49 years.  Plenty of down years for the Oiler's, Bengals, and Browns.  Kind of like Kraft/Belichick with the AFC East. If the Bills were not dealing with the decline of Ralph Wilson the Bills would have been a bit more competitive from 2000-2015.

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It also helped the Rooney's in that the AFC Central/North was fairly weak during those 49 years.  Plenty of down years for the Oiler's, Bengals, and Browns.  Kind of like Kraft/Belichick with the AFC East. If the Bills were not dealing with the decline of Ralph Wilson the Bills would have been a bit more competitive from 2000-2015.

I've thought about this for a long time, and I've come to the conclusion that the late Ralph Wilson was the problem.  I say this as someone who used to watch Bills games with his grandfather... in 1974, and who watched the perpetual mediocrity of this team throughout the 1970s, absolutely horrible teams from 1984-1986, and the abyss of 2000-2014 (I suppose you could call it 2015).  On top of it all he pushed for Rob Johnson to start the Music City Miracle game, which was (and remains) totally outrageous.

I'm glad that Ralph Wilson setup a situation where the team remained tied to WNY.  Still, not giving him a pass for decades of lost seasons.  The trajectory, or lack thereof, of the Bills was the result of Wilson's ownership.

Edited by Groin

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indeed. 

I'd say that depends on the fan

Yes sir, you are correct- there is always someone that can be the administer of lumps and will gladly oblige.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Shocking...

LOL the Browns.  Dorsey was a bum, bit that baseball guy running the showily guarantee more misery.

Analytics!!

There's nothing wrong with analytics, and in MLB smaller market teams have proven that they can win the World Series.

However, and that should've been in all caps, the NFL does not have the luxury of data analysis alone as there is no official league to develop talent over X years.  This is not to say that data analysis can't work in the league; this is to say that you need a data person to work in tandem with a football person.  So what do the Browns do?  The wrong thing.  So we agree there.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Shocking...

LOL the Browns.  Dorsey was a bum, bit that baseball guy running the showily guarantee more misery.

Analytics!!

Dorsey is actually a good evaluator of football talent I think.  Personality wise, he's apparently kind of a prick.  But he does know his football.

(do not ask me wherefore that word is not ****d out but the verb "***** victory from the jaws of defeat" is, for I know not.)

1 minute ago, Groin said:

There's nothing wrong with analytics, and in MLB smaller market teams have proven that they can win the World Series.

However, and that should've been in all caps, the NFL does not have the luxury of data analysis alone as there is no official league to develop talent over X years.  This is not to say that data analysis can't work in the league; this is to say that you need a data person to work in tandem with a football person.  So what do the Browns do?  The wrong thing.  So we agree there.

Nice, but small market teams (2 from Missouri) have won 5 WS in the last 30 years.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dorsey is actually a good evaluator of football talent I think.  Personality wise, he's apparently a prick.  But he does know his football.

He's a bit of a clown.  Plus, there's no way as GM coming in that you don't tell your slow-witted owner that the first guy out the door is Hue Jackson.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nice, but small market teams (2 from Missouri) have won 5 WS in the last 30 years.

Analytics and good management are what brought 5 titles in the first place.  We all know the drill in MLB.  It's pretty much Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and a sprinkling of others who end up in the mix.  Most of the other teams are DOA, and when you take a deeper look at how they've built their teams, they've done it badly.