NYG hired 4 computer folks

Reed83HOF

8 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Mine too. Two were arguing back and forth about the merits of firing coach but not firing the GM, the push/pull between consistency and turnover, major questions at QB, etc. 

I welcomed them both to the NFL hinterlands, a place Bills fans got to know quite well the last 20 years, and my hope for them is that they right the ship a lot quicker than we did. 

i dont think Jones is a major problem.

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

It's a joke :lol:

Thats too bad i was hoping it was real :lol:

Football has come a long way since the Bengals GM would buy the Sporting News Draft Edition to figure out who he should be drafting.  Now Gettleman will have an entire IT staff scanning the internet for mock drafts and lists of prospects from all the draft websites.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd seriously fire him for this. It's clear he doesn't understand how the world works now and is living in the pro football past. No innovation happening there. I'm sure he's a step or two behind virtually every other GM in the league.

Us computer folks are pretty awesome, don't knock us! 

Haha, backend means they are doing some database work...they probably are the typical sit in front of the computer and don't talk to humans backend developers.

Gettleman’s describing of “computer folk” aka an analytics department, remind me a lot of Russ Brandon’s “robust analytics” speech.  It was the trendy thing to do in the NFL so he started an analytics division....that did nothing with the football product.  They did run analytics for the business office and travel department.

Like Russ, Gettleman seems like he’s ushering in analytics for the purpose of doing it, without having a real plan 

20 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Mine too. Two were arguing back and forth about the merits of firing coach but not firing the GM, the push/pull between consistency and turnover, major questions at QB, etc. 

I welcomed them both to the NFL hinterlands, a place Bills fans got to know quite well the last 20 years, and my hope for them is that they right the ship a lot quicker than we did. 

I have to admit, we watch a lot of each others' games....it was weird being the fan with the better team..by a lot....this year.

For computer folk they are probably looking for someone with serious computer skills including VR, modelling, big data, etc.

Try to give the players as much learning as they can without breaking the rules of the NFLPA.

Having ability to hack remotely electronic playbooks would not hurt but told by experts that hacking M$ Surface is ridiculously simple.

21 hours ago, delirious said:

Software Engineer here, you have just triggered me.  I cannot STAND companies just blindly pushing for Agile without truly knowing what that software development process is.  Open concept offices are yucky - really hate not having high cubicle walls so that I can personalize my space.  UUUUgggghhhhhhh

I’ve asked a couple people who are currently sitting in that type of environment as “early adopters” what they think of it, and they’ve both answered “I like it.”

But while they said it to me, they had a look in their eye like they were a Taliban hostage and had just gotten poked with an electric cattle prod, so take that for what it’s worth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I’ve asked a couple people who are currently sitting in that type of environment as “early adopters” what they think of it, and they’ve both answered “I like it.”

But while they said it to me, they had a look in their eye like they were a Taliban hostage and had just gotten poked with an electric cattle prod, so take that for what it’s worth.

Each person is indeed different. Certainly open floor/office designs look way better than cube farms. After experiencing both, I'm glad I'm back in my cubicle where I can hang all my Buffalo Bills, Pittsburgh Penguins and Miami Hurricanes memorabilia.