Titans at Pats = 1996 Jags at Bills

Lenigmusx

2 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

That Jags team was in the playoffs because Atlanta missed an extra point or 20 yard FG at the end in week 17.  And then they went on a mini run.

Really quite amazing how they were 4-7, won last 5 games to finish 9-7, and then went on the road and beat both buffalo and Denver to make AFC title run. Unbelievable run especially for a 2nd year franchise! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DBilz2500 said:

Really quite amazing how they were 4-7, won last 5 games to finish 9-7, and then went on the road and beat both buffalo and Denver to make AFC title run. Unbelievable run especially for a 2nd year franchise! 

Didn’t Coughlin do the same thing with the Giants and Eli? They won it all though I think.

41 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I remember it because I was at it.  Could have heard a pin drop when Kelly was knocked out because everyone kind of thought that was the last time we might see him.

I was there too and you are absolutely right. When Kelly left the field with an injury, it was as if all hope left the stadium.  When the Jags went up by a FG and Collins came in, there wasn't enough time or any belief left in the BIlls. 

1 minute ago, Lenigmusx said:

Didn’t Coughlin do the same thing with the Giants and Eli? They won it all though I think.

Yea pretty close. They won the whole thing as a 6 seed with 9-7 record. Don’t think they had to win final 5 games though to make playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is how we got to see Jim Kelly go out. It's the memory I have of his last game.

GettyImages-358569.0.jpg

Forgot about this. I also forgot what a good game he actually played. That fumble call was BS. It should have been 30-27 Bills...that was the beginning of the onslaught from the Refs. 

42 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

I remember coughlin when he was a coach for BC Eagles before he went to the Pros.. still say my Eagles would been national champs had he stayed 3 or 4 years.. :( 

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Yes by the exact same 30-27 score.

Then lost in the AFC Championship game to New England 20-6.

Kind of a weird season for them...Brunell threw more INTs(20) than TDs(19) for them in the regular season, but back in that era INTs were much higher because there were far fewer restrictions on defensive play.

There was also less concern about throwing INT's down the field. A lot of times QB's on third and long would take shots deep and force things into coverage because coaches felt that INT's 50 yards down the field weren't that much worse than punts. Of course coaching and the attitudes towards INT's have changed a lot since. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I remember the Buffalo News cover the next day with this pic, stating "End of an Era".

Man were they right. Bills still had some success towards the end of the decade but that game was the end of that era.

I was in the Marines stationed over in Okinawa and had duty during the game. I remember trying asking other Marines who were off duty if they knew what the score was. I was stunned to hear that the Bills lost and Kelly was carted off the field. Sad way to end the Bills dynasty.

As far as the Titans/Patriots game, it seems that old Patriots players/coaches do well against the Patriots. The Titans have been playing better under Tannehill and the Patriots just lost to an underachieving Dolphins team, so I can see the Titans winning this one. 

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 1