Titans at Pats = 1996 Jags at Bills

Lenigmusx

To me the game this Saturday night has the feel of The Bills vs Jags game of 1996. A great QB at the end of his prime not able to make the necessary throws anymore. 

Anyone who can remember the 96 wildcard must remember the feeling of finality. Even though the Bills scraped and got back in the playoffs after 1995 a young talented Jags team came into Buffalo and just knocked them out. A 9-7 Jags team on a 5 game winning streak. Not very different than the Titans team who comes in to NE hot as well. 

I think it it would be fitting for The Titans to end Brady’s career so that Belichick can jump ship and ride out his coaching career in NY with the Giants. Leaving the sinking Titanic in the hands of the incompetent Josh McDaniels. Our time is now Bills fans?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

No one remembers the game because it was blacked out. What a weird end to that era. We couldn’t sell out a playoff game. 

I didn’t realize that. I live in Albany. Anyway I am rewatching it and realize that we were dominant most of the game. If Kelly had not throw the ill advised pick 6 shovel pass in the first qtr... that team might have gone on a run.  The Jaguars stay in it long enough to grind our D down with power runs.

funny side note-

Jags OC -Kevin Gilbride

Jags DC- Dick (Skeletor) Jauron

Rob Johnson Jags Back up QB?

Edited by Lenigmusx

20 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

No one remembers the game because it was blacked out. What a weird end to that era. We couldn’t sell out a playoff game. 

I remember it because I was at it.  Could have heard a pin drop when Kelly was knocked out because everyone kind of thought that was the last time we might see him.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Golden Goat said:

Didn't Jacksonville do the same thing at Mile High the following week?

Yes by the exact same 30-27 score.

Then lost in the AFC Championship game to New England 20-6.

Kind of a weird season for them...Brunell threw more INTs(20) than TDs(19) for them in the regular season, but back in that era INTs were much higher because there were far fewer restrictions on defensive play.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Bills got hosed by the Refs bad... I didn’t remember the 4th and short that was short by an index card... Kelly clearly had the first down. That was at least a 6 point swing. Damn officials always suck...

it it was a 10 pt swing forgot about the Means runs over Bruce Smith TD

Edited by Lenigmusx

39 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I was there , was with my 74 year old Mom, last game she went to! 

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I remember it because I was at it.  Could have heard a pin drop when Kelly was knocked out because everyone kind of thought that was the last time we might see him.

I certainly did not think that was the end, was shocked when he announced his retirement later that week

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Really!?! I didn’t know that. That’s sad.. tells how ANY fan base can get spoiled after an amazing run of success.. (I wonder if the Cowboys and 49ers experience a similar issue?)

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yes by the exact same 30-27 score.

Then lost in the AFC Championship game to New England 20-6.

Kind of a weird season for them...Brunell threw more INTs(20) than TDs(19) for them in the regular season, but back in that era INTs were much higher because there were far fewer restrictions on defensive play.

Yeah - watching some of the highlights on that and it was like... a slant route had to be kind of on the money... a little behind the receiver so he didn't get lit up.  You wanted them to kind of just catch it and stop right there.  Same with deep posts and crossers... you couldn't lead your man into coverage or he'd get destroyed.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I attended the game with my dad.  We decided to get tickets at the last minute because it was blacked out.  Even Bills fans became complacent/spoiled at the end of a good run...

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

Or a PI the Al Riveron refuses to reverse?

I didn't see the game because I was in Aruba on my honeymoon.  I just saw the highlights and the only thing I remember from them is that Kelly's knee was clearly down prior to the ball coming out and had that been called correctly, the Bills win.  But that was during the period that instant replay wasn't around.

Edited by Doc

Just now, Haslett_Stomp said:

I attended the game with my dad.  We decided to get tickets at the last minute because it was blacked out.  Even Bills fans became complacent/spoiled at the end of a good run...

Stadium capacity was 80,024 back then.  I know green bays is around there, but thats a lot for a smaller metro area.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

I didn’t realize that. I live in Albany. Anyway I am rewatching it and realize that we were dominant most of the game. If Kelly had not throw the ill advised pick 6 shovel pass in the first qtr... that team might have gone on a run.  The Jaguars stay in it long enough to grind our D down with power runs.

funny side note-

Jags OC -Kevin Gilbride

Jags DC- Dick (Skeletor) Jauron

Rob Johnson Jags Back up QB?

That Bills team was shot, they weren't going anywhere that year.  I think they actually had to beat KC the final week of the season at home just to make the playoffs.  Kelly had nothing left in the tank.

21 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

Bills got hosed by the Refs bad... I didn’t remember the 4th and short that was short by an index card... Kelly clearly had the first down. That was at least a 6 point swing. Damn officials always suck...

it it was a 10 pt swing forgot about the Means runs over Bruce Smith TD

We Also got hosed by the refs on Kelly’s mid 4th quarter scramble when he got hit, ball came out and BOTH of his knees were clearly down and they still called it a fumble. Jacksonville would then move the ball into FG range and doink in a 47 yard kick with 2-3 minutes left. Had replay been around it would’ve been an obvious overturned call. 

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

I didn't see the game because I was in Aruba on my honeymoon.  I just saw the highlights and the only thing I remember from them is that Kelly's knee was clearly down prior to him fumbling, and had that been called correctly, the Bills win.  But that was during the period that instant replay wasn't around.

Both knees were in fact down and they still blew the call!  

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting STAT relating to the Titans/Pats game .... The Patriots have lost all 4 of their games when an opponent has scored 20 points or more, all of their wins were when the opponent was less then 20 points.  The Titans on the other-hand have scored 20 points or more in their last 10 consecutive games .... Go TITANS!! 

• Like (+1) 1