"Lack of bodies" in week 17

Dan Darragh

1 hour ago, CuseBill said:

Pat Kirwan on NFL Network's Moving the Chains has been advocating for years that the NFL increase the game day roster size and practice squad size.  Given the number of injuries in the NFL and the NFL's claimed interest in player safety, he is dead on right.  I expect that if the season is lengthened to 17 or 18 games the League will absolutely have to consider this.

I've heard the same on Movin the Chains.  They were banging that drum for two years.  They believe the league can make more $ for them and the players by a 17 game season, less pre-season games, and one more wildcard team.  They proved over the last six years the 7th seed would still have winning record.  Yep, they did say dressing all 53 makes sense and I agree with all of their points.

The solution for the 17th game would be played at a neutral site to increase NFL interest in either othe markets in the US, and OUS.  This way every team still gets 8 home games.  I know I hate when we have to play one of our home games in London.

I'm not in favor of expanding to 17 games, but if they do, I like the proposed solution in the previous post of having the 17th game be at a neutral site.  This way, every team keeps its 8 home games (both for home-field advantage purposes and revenue purposes) and the league gets more exposure in new markets.  I have not seen statistics, but I think that the teams that have to travel to London in the middle of the season for a game are at a disadvantage (jet-lag, etc.), particularly the one that gives up the home game (revenue aside, you lose the home field advantage).    

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I've already been silenced by my family with all my ideas for rule changes that would improve games, such as having an over and back rule in soccer like in basketball. 

But I DID come up with 3-on-3 for overtime before the NHL did.  Actually my idea was 5 minutes of 4-on-4, followed by 5 minutes of 3-on-3, followed by 5 minutes of 2-on-2, then 5 minutes of just the goalies.  Don't know about you but I would NEVER leave a game early if that was the rule.

ALSO: here's how you end fighting in hockey... If you drop your gloves, no gloves for you the rest of the game.

Of course who wants to end fighting in hockey?

4 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

The NFL should allow teams to dress their entire roster and practice squad in week 17.  It doesn't do the league any good to have playoff-bound teams watch their starters go down in meaningless games.

Baseball has a version of this with the 40 man rosters in September.  

This idea has been discussed on WGR and I completely agree.