Brett Kollerman: Patroits Defense has been figured out

Protocal69

Just now, Chaos said:

Ultimately I consider both defenses untested.  Based on the Bills vs. Eagles and Ravens and Pats vs. Ravens, I don't see either defense really stopping teams like the niners/saints/chiefs/ravens/seahawks.  If the Bills throttle the Texans, then I will consider them tested and passing the test, and consequently revise my "untested" opinion. 

Ravens are a terrible measuring stick no one looked good against them this year...  the Saints are the only unstoppable team and well maybe the Ravens with those 3 TE. 

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ravens are a terrible measuring stick no one looked good against them this year...  the Saints are the only unstoppable team and well maybe the Ravens with those 3 TE. 

What was the Pats best defensive performance against a top offense? 

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s easy to stop Brady and beat their D

been hearing this for 20 years now

Don’t recall any players who actually have to go out there mouthing off about how easy it’s been for 20 years

Father Time and or Injury have stopped Brady this year so far..  (I am convinced his elbow is shot and he is keeping quiet about it.)

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Cowboys only 9 points (top O this year) and only 23 to a healthy KC team.. they stunk against the Ravens and Texans. (I refuse call giving up 20 a bad day for the D even if Fitz threw for a lot.. giving up 20 points you should win.)

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

There wasn't one really unless you count them holding the Eagles to 10 points on the road. For all of the flack we caught for our schedule, the Pats did basically the same as us outside of us losing a game to the Jets with our 2nd and 3rd string on the field. 

21 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Sure the defensive game plan did not work.  I’m not arguing that.  They are *part* of the reason the Bills lost.  The other part is the offense.

There were too many 3 and out drives.  The Bills couldn’t move the ball against the defense.

And here’s something that everyone conveniently forgets.  When the Bills went up 17-10, they then proceeded to go 3 and out over their possessions. That’s not going to win you games against New England.

So going back to my original point, many Bills fans are giving the Bills a complete pass on the NE loss and I don’t feel it’s warranted 

I can go with "it was a true team loss", but the point is, especially early in the game an elite D's job is to get the opponent off the field and give the offense another chance.

That's especially true on the Bills, where we have a young "framework is being laid" offense. 

Our D got frog-marched down the field backwards 3x.  I hope we've figured out how to defend a screen or we gonna see 'em a lot on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Excellent video breaking down Gilmore and the PATS defense and how teams like the BILLS have started to figure it out.

The video is nice, but the Bills got to prove they have figured it out by WINNING

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Father Time and or Injury have stopped Brady this year so far..  (I am convinced his elbow is shot and he is keeping quiet about it.)

Cowboys only 9 points (top O this year) and only 23 to a healthy KC team.. they stunk against the Ravens and Texans. (I refuse call giving up 20 a bad day for the D even if Fitz threw for a lot.. giving up 20 points you should win.)

I think letting the dolphins score a TD on the final drive allows reasonable observers to grade the defensive effort for the Pats a solid F. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can go with "it was a true team loss", but the point is, especially early in the game an elite D's job is to get the opponent off the field and give the offense another chance.

That's especially true on the Bills, where we have a young "framework is being laid" offense. 

Our D got frog-marched down the field backwards 3x.  I hope we've figured out how to defend a screen or we gonna see 'em a lot on Saturday.

I felt the Patriots did old school smash mouth football on the Bills 2 weeks ago. The O line just dominated your D line which opened up PA passes.

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think letting the dolphins score a TD on the final drive allows reasonable observers to grade the defensive effort for the Pats a solid F. 

I can understand that, I just disagree. The O and the O play calls were just horrid. They play the same game they did against Buffalo they win that game by 10+.. but instead the game plan was to throw the ball a lot even after seeing Brady was well off badly!? Ugh 

a late drive like that hurts but in years past the game been long over if the D had held an opponent to 13 points all game.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I felt the Patriots did old school smash mouth football on the Bills 2 weeks ago. The O line just dominated your D line which opened up PA passes.

Point is, whatever they did, it's our D's job to stop it and we didn't.

'Zo said the D gave up something like 50 YAC(ontact)

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Do you feel the same way about the Bills D letting the Patriots score an 8 pt TD when we had the lead, with a 10 play drive late in the 4Q?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ya I think may been more than 50.. Burkhead and Michel I don’t think we’re brought down by the first contact all game. (I could be wrong but they look to she’d would be tacklers a lot )  

wrll playoffs are here hopefully both teams play well and we see the Bills in the the Razor in 3 weeks for part 3. :) 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I can understand that, I just disagree. The O and the O play calls were just horrid. They play the same game they did against Buffalo they win that game by 10+.. but instead the game plan was to throw the ball a lot even after seeing Brady was well off badly!? Ugh 

a late drive like that hurts but in years past the game been long over if the D had held an opponent to 13 points all game.

The Pats have always had a high scoring offense.  Typically put teams in a hole early, which is a huge advantage to the defense.   Great teams, great units, great players rise to the occasion.  The pats defense failed. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you feel the same way about the Bills D letting the Patriots score an 8 pt TD when we had the lead, with a 10 play drive late in the 4Q?

That was also a fail. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Pats D is very good again not all time good but good.  The only team I don’t think the Pats could beat IF they play their game (run the ball:play action) is the Ravens.  The Pats D biggest weakness isn’t the pass rush or the corners but their ability to cover the TE and Baltimore has 3 good ones. While I think BB can scheme cover up one (aka Keller) all 3 I just don’t see happening. 

You are right the Pats time is at the sunset with Brady.. but never rule out a team that has one of the greatest QBs of all time from getting hot for 3 games.. 

Tom’s one pass he can still hit is the crossing route. Everything else is a 50/50 ball. 
I just don’t see luck being enough for 3 games against playoff teams.

Belichick will try to play a slow game and keep the scoring low. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Tom’s one pass he can still hit is the crossing route. Everything else is a 50/50 ball. 
I just don’t see luck being enough for 3 games against playoff teams.

Belichick will try to play a slow game and keep the scoring low. 

Anything is possible in the playoffs. That said I’m not expecting them to go to the SB, I will cheer and yell at my TV to the end and if this ends up being their last Hurrah.. damn what a ride!  Oh and if it is the last Hurrah  the Bills better damn well not let the phins or worse the Jets best then for the AFCE. 

Bills fans can be harsh and well unreasonably angry at times but at least your not living in old glory (undefeated season in like 1973) or cocky for no dang reason (Jets every year).   So if my Pats are done I hope the Bills take the mantle back up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nice breakdown. 2 things I get from it:  

1. Daboll is better than many on this board believe. He is directly responsible for plays called. 
  2. Glad Gilmore has lousy hands or he would have about twice as many picks, but I still say he is no Revis. He gets help often! 
  3. I know I said 2 observations but goona add another! Josh gets it as well and can see the scheme as it plays out during the play! He’s our guy!!

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The video is nice, but the Bills got to prove they have figured it out by WINNING

That’s fair.  I don’t disagree that this was one the defense’s worst game this season.  But I do think that you can’t expect the defense to hold every team to under 17 points, and that’s what the Bills defense is being asked to do.

I don’t think this is sustainable in the playoffs and also don’t feel that asking the offense to score more than 17 pts is asking too much 

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

The Bills have figured out the Pats D, have they?.........oh, come on man!!!

We haven't beaten them in 20 years, so i'm guessing we haven't really figured anything out.

Rubbish........complete rubbish.

You still have to execute. There were plays to be made, the players didn’t make them.