Broncos Spygate AKA Spygate II

JGMcD2

I was reading up on some of the 2020 coaching candidates and got to Josh McDaniels. A friend of mine is a Browns fan who is pounding the table for McDaniels... I wanted to have a base of knowledge before I discuss anything because my only impression of him is that he’s a horrible leader (mostly after last year’s debacle with the Colts). My reading on him only strengthened my opinion lol. 2010 was JUST before I really got in to football so I didn’t have any recollection of this but I couldn’t help but laugh. 

Josh McDaniels was fired by the Broncos in 2010 after the NFL discovered Steve Scarnecchia (former Patriots video employee and son of longtime Patriots coach Dante) video taped 6 minutes of a San Francisco 49ers walkthrough in London. Scarnecchia was let go as well. 

It was stated that McDaniels didn’t view the video nor did he ask Scarnecchia to do it, we were supposed to believe Scarnecchia acted alone. 

I find it comical that we are supposed to believe the Patriots incident with the Jets in 2007 was isolated (according to them) and then all of a sudden when two Patriots disciples (with the organization from the beginning of their rise) go off on their own RANDOMLY have an isolated incident of their own in a season that they’re severely struggling to win. 

I am honestly surprised that this isn’t brought up more! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I was reading up on some of the 2020 coaching candidates and got to Josh McDaniels. A friend of mine is a Browns fan who is pounding the table for McDaniels... I wanted to have a base of knowledge before I discuss anything because my only impression of him is that he’s a horrible leader (mostly after last year’s debacle with the Colts). My reading on him only strengthened my opinion lol. 2010 was JUST before I really got in to football so I didn’t have any recollection of this but I couldn’t help but laugh. 

Josh McDaniels was fired by the Broncos in 2010 after the NFL discovered Steve Scarnecchia (former Patriots video employee and son of longtime Patriots coach Dante) video taped 6 minutes of a San Francisco 49ers walkthrough in London. Scarnecchia was let go as well. 

It was stated that McDaniels didn’t view the video nor did he ask Scarnecchia to do it, we were supposed to believe Scarnecchia acted alone. 

I find it comical that we are supposed to believe the Patriots incident with the Jets in 2007 was isolated (according to them) and then all of a sudden when two Patriots disciples (with the organization from the beginning of their rise) go off on their own RANDOMLY have an isolated incident of their own in a season that they’re severely struggling to win. 

I am honestly surprised that this isn’t brought up more! 

Well, I'll tell you my take on McDaniels for what it's worth.  It is twofold.

1) After a 2010 season in which newly-drafted Sam Bradford looked pretty decent with the then-StL Rams,  Shurmur left to take a HC position with the Browns (Don't do it, Pat!  Don't jump!).  McDaniels had just washed out of his Broncos job (the video was far from the only reason he was fired, BTW), and accepted an OC position under HC Spagnuolo. 

The Rams offense promptly sucked Great Giant Balls of Sucking Suckage and Bradford looked as though he'd never played a capable game in his life.

Now I'm not gonna tell ya the Rams offense was great under Shurmur the year before, but they had the same record as the Seasnakes and came within 10 points of winning the division and going to the playoffs.  Bradford honestly did look promising.  Threw 18 TDs, 220 ypg, 60% completions.   Not sure what system Shurmur runs - think it's WCO-ish.

Enter McDaniels.  Brings his Erhardt-Perkins system with him to install in its complex glory.   Bradford promptly regresses.  I kid you not, threw 6 TDs (injury cut short but still): 6 TDs and 6 INTs in 10 games.  Completion % dropped to 53%.  You could visibly see the gears grinding in Sam's head when he dropped back to pass and the offense all looked like the "not quite on the same page" guys.

It was fugly.

2) I thought the way McDaniels behaved towards the Colts was exemplified some of the most unprofessional behavior I'd ever heard of in a prospective NFL HC.  All my friends who are Pats fans think McD jilted the Colts because he was given a date and promised the reins to the Pats kingdom.

In conclusion, tell your friend to go ahead and pound the table for McDaniels - Great choice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I'll tell you my take on McDaniels for what it's worth.  It is twofold.

1) After a 2010 season in which newly-drafted Sam Bradford looked pretty decent with the then-StL Rams,  Shurmur left to take a HC position with the Browns (Don't do it, Pat!  Don't jump!).  McDaniels had just washed out of his Broncos job (the video was far from the only reason he was fired, BTW), and accepted an OC position under HC Spagnuolo. 

The Rams offense promptly sucked Great Giant Balls of Sucking Suckage and Bradford looked as though he'd never played a capable game in his life.

Now I'm not gonna tell ya the Rams offense was great under Shurmur the year before, but they had the same record as the Seasnakes and came within 10 points of winning the division and going to the playoffs.  Bradford honestly did look promising.  Threw 18 TDs, 220 ypg, 60% completions.   Not sure what system Shurmur runs - think it's WCO-ish.

Enter McDaniels.  Brings his Erhardt-Perkins system with him to install in its complex glory.   Bradford promptly regresses.  I kid you not, threw 6 TDs (injury cut short but still): 6 TDs and 6 INTs in 10 games.  Completion % dropped to 53%.  You could visibly see the gears grinding in Sam's head when he dropped back to pass and the offense all looked like the "not quite on the same page" guys.

It was fugly.

2) I thought the way McDaniels behaved towards the Colts was exemplified some of the most unprofessional behavior I'd ever heard of in a prospective NFL HC.  All my friends who are Pats fans think McD jilted the Colts because he was given a date and promised the reins to the Pats kingdom.

In conclusion, tell your friend to go ahead and pound the table for McDaniels - Great choice.

So I think Josh McDaniels can coach offense and there were other things at play that year in St Louis that were out of his control (thought Bradford certainly regressed). The years he was away in New England the offenses never quite seemed to have the same rhythm - whether that is just his fit with Brady or something else. They still put up points but they were never quite as visually impressive as either McDaniels spell. 

Whether he has the capability to be a head coach the jury still has to be out on that for me. Never been truly convinced he looks or feels like a leader. And the Colts thing was unforgivable in my eyes. If I was one of the other 31 owners there is certainly no way I would consider him for my HC job. I honestly believe if he is going to be an NFL HC again it will have to come in New England after Belichick. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I think Josh McDaniels can coach offense and there were other things at play that year in St Louis that were out of his control (thought Bradford certainly regressed). The years he was away in New England the offenses never quite seemed to have the same rhythm - whether that is just his fit with Brady or something else. They still put up points but they were never quite as visually impressive as either McDaniels spell. 

Whether he has the capability to be a head coach the jury still has to be out on that for me. Never been truly convinced he looks or feels like a leader. And the Colts thing was unforgivable in my eyes. If I was one of the other 31 owners there is certainly no way I would consider him for my HC job. I honestly believe if he is going to be an NFL HC again it will have to come in New England after Belichick. 

McDaniels has been a proven failure as a HC and like Todd Haley - is way too full of himself and it permeates into the locker room as a guy that is going to blame you before he blames himself.

Edited by Ayjent

NE coordinators are all losers at their HC gigs because they only succeeded in NE due to cheating.  It's the same as all the bum, no name players that Excell there only to be out of the league immediately upon release.  They draft terribly but still win.  

Their success is100% due to cheating.  They are a middle of the road team without it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

NE coordinators are all losers at their HC gigs because they only succeeded in NE due to cheating.  It's the same as all the bum, no name players that Excell there only to be out of the league immediately upon release.  They draft terribly but still win.  

Their success is100% due to cheating.  They are a middle of the road team without it.  

I think this is a terrible take.  That's actually the sad irony of the Pats.  They are well coached.  They make good personnel decisions.  They have had a legit great QB and a series of legit great TE and WR and defensive players.  Their success is in no way 100% due to cheating.  They could be a good to great team without it.

However, the extreme sustained and enduring nature of their success is probably due to "ruthless pursuit of every competitive edge" as Sanchez said, ie, cheating in every way.

I think the reason that coaches and coordinators from NE have a mixed track record elsewhere is that Belicheck is a rigid control freak who doesn't share any info he doesn't need to.  "Just Do Your Job".  He keeps them more than busy doing whatever it is he assigns them to do.  So the assistant coaches, and especially the ones who are two steps down the food chain like Daboll, are left missing key pieces of how to make the whole car drive.  And the better "team players" they are (ie putting all into doing their job) the worse for them.

I think that's why we see Daboll scheme individual plays that are clever to brilliant and either work, or result in open guys, but overall as a whole the offense doesn't seem coherent and flexible.