Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Very Interesting.

I personally wish the Bills would keep Phillips AND Shaq.  I don't think $9 AAV is too much.

Spain I'm a bit more ambivalent about.

What’s cool is some of the tidbits. 

he said everybody thinks the first day of “tampering”. Is the Combine. He said that is false. It is Probowl and the SB week is huge too. 

said when you see current NFL players at the draft it is because they are being shopped. 

the earliest his team (since he worked there) agreed on a new contract for another teams UFA was at the Senior Bowl (said it was just a handshake deal) but signed officially in the proper window. 

Teams absolutely have their go to reporters Most are outside of the teams city that the leak to and gauge fan and league response to the “leak”. He is adamant that Bills use Darlington in this manor. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What’s cool is some of the tidbits. 

he said everybody thinks the first day of “tampering”. Is the Combine. He said that is false. It is Probowl and the SB week is huge too. 

said when you see current NFL players at the draft it is because they are being shopped. 

the earliest his team (since he worked there) agreed on a new contract for another teams UFA was at the Senior Bowl (said it was just a handshake deal) but signed officially in the proper window. 

Teams absolutely have their go to reporters Most are outside of the teams city that the leak to and gauge fan and league response to the “leak”. He is adamant that Bills use Darlington in this manor.

What is the point of "gauge fan and league response"?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What is the point of "gauge fan and league response"?

says it is about market research. Said teams do it a lot with something that might be controversial. Like a signing of hunt. 

or to drum up interest like going to draft X WR and see if it sparks calls for the WR they have on their roster for trade. 

said majority of the “leaks” in the league are market research and buzz generating leaks. Nothing gets leaked that teams don’t want leaked 

Edited by MAJBobby

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The thing is, for Josh Allen to last in this league you don't want him to be a Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton. For the Vikings everything works off that power zone play action scheme.

"The Vikings do an excellent job of disguising play-action, making it almost impossible for the defense to tell until the last moment."

https://whodatdish.com/2020/01/03/new-orleans-saints-breaking-down-vikings/

Whereas Daboll marches out Gore, Dimarco, and Smith and thinks he's fooling anyone with that personnel package.

2 plays after Singletary broke a long run Allen used play action and...it worked. The safties came up, their corners trailed our receivers with no deep help, and Josh hit a long pass.

Sometimes the tried and true methods still work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

says it is about market research. Said teams do it a lot with something that might be controversial. Like a signing of hunt. 

Wow.  I had no idea - I didn't think FOs were that influenced by fan or market opinion.

SOOOOOOOOO getting back to the topic of this thread......are the Browns gauging fan and market opinion to potentially hiring Brian Daboll as their next head coach?

Because judging by the twittersphere, it isn't exactly a best- seller.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow.  I had no idea - I didn't think FOs were that influenced by fan or market opinion.

SOOOOOOOOO getting back to the topic of this thread......are the Browns gauging fan and market opinion to potentially hiring Brian Daboll as their next head coach?

Because judging by the twittersphere, it isn't exactly a best- seller.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that there was a leak that he was one of the finalist. Then within an hour or so more leaks saying he isn’t. 

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He said there is going to be a trend that DTs that can get pressure are going to be higher Value than DEs. Because of the way the game is changing with Quick Passing and the fastest way to get to QB is a straight line. 

also said he knows his team has Schreff and Spain ranked equally. 

he gives me some really cool tidbits I would have never thought about 

the DE vs DT is nothing new. I think consistently an elite edge rusher is still going to command the premium as they are harder to neutralize but then you hit a run of Dat types for exactly the reason you mention. Plus if you collapse inside a qb can’t step up, and also becomes hard to see receivers etc.... and a 330 lbs guy that’s nimble is harder to find than a 270 lbs guy that can run.

DTs shooting up correlates to guards becoming more premium and not just space eaters too. 

13 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Whereas Daboll marches out Gore, Dimarco, and Smith and thinks he's fooling anyone with that personnel package.

2 plays after Singletary broke a long run Allen used play action and...it worked. The safties came up, their corners trailed our receivers with no deep help, and Josh hit a long pass.

Sometimes the tried and true methods still work.

I know that Daboll's first job coaching for the Patriots was as a defensive assistant - I think for DBs?  then WR coach and TE coach.  So he does, in the past, have some background in looking at things from a defensive POV.  But maybe not a front-7 POV?

I have the impression that sometimes the things that strike Daboll as likely to fool a defense, are not, in fact, the things that defensive coaches and defenders key on, and that it would benefit him to sit down with a defender or defensive coach and self-scout his play calling.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At the end of the 3Q, the Bills lead was 16-8.  Of ~49 offensive plays, run/pass balance was 26 pass plays/23 rush plays

You write this as though the Bills went totally pass-happy at a point where we had a 16 point lead, but in fact it was a very balanced attack through the end of the 3Q.  3Q was 7 rush plays, 5 pass plays.

The play selection became pass-heavy in the 4Q and particularly in OT, at which point of course we were trying to tie the game and then win it.

Break it down to the first half. 21 passes, 13 runs and Allen accounted for 3 of those runs.

Second half,  

3rd Next series,(1 pass, 3 runs with Allen left end for 19 yards and a first down.) Pass, run, run, Punt!

3rd Next series, (3 passes, 1 sack, 4 runs.) 1st, run, pass, Allen run, run, pass, run, sack -8 yards, Punt! One Allen run.

3rd /4th Next series, (4 passes, 1 sack, fumble) pass, pass, pass, pass sack fumble. turnover.

Next series, (2 passes, 1 run) Run, pass, pass, Punt!

Next series, (3 passes, 4 runs, sack) Pass, run, run, run, pass, run, pass, sack-14 yards on 4th down.

Next series, (9 passes, 1 run by Allen 18 yards) Run, pass, pass, pass, pass pass, pass, pass, pass, FG. 

Next series, OT (7 passes, 3 runs all by Allen) run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, run, pass. Punt. 

29 passes, 16 runs with 6 by Allen. Only 10 runs between Gore, Singletary all half.  In fact, Singletary only touched the ball on a run 3 times in the 4th quarter and no runs in OT.

From what I see is that Bills OC Brian Daboll was asking Josh Allen to basically carry the offense the entire game. Allen 24 of 46* for 264 yards passing. Allen the leading rusher 9 rushes for 92 yards. one receiving TD. 

Also, Daboll can't figure out a way to make a first by running the ball most times so it all went on Allen. Then on 3rd and 8 Allen gets sacked by Watt dropping back to pass.  On 4th and 27 Allen sacked -19 yards. 

Opps, said 26.

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You know what would really make me smile?  Suppose the Browns don't accede to whatever conditions McDaniels has made, so he's out

Suppose after bopping around, they finally decide to offer the job to Daboll..............

............and he pulls a Brian Schottenheimer and goes, "mmmmmm, Nope!...On further consideration, I'm Good here."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t think it is a coincidence that there was a leak that he was one of the finalist. Then within an hour or so more leaks saying he isn’t. 

and the Browns being such a well run organization definitely wouldn't change their minds about things due to questionable reasons.?‍♂️

I’m still hoping we get to keep Daboll. I really want continuity for Josh and the offense. 

And sure, a new OC May boost Josh’s development. But it also may hinder it.

We don’t know. 

What i do know is that he is developing right now under Brian Daboll. He took a pretty nice step forward this year, and I’d prefer not to mess with what seems to be working. 

If it happens, it happens. But I’m definitely not rooting for it to happen. 

Personally, I think Daboll is nuts if he takes the Browns job, and I don’t really know if he’s ready for it either. I think they need a veteran coach. I thought McCarthy or Rivera would have been perfect for them. I’m hoping McDaniels goes there now, just to disrupt the Patriots as much as possible. 

• Like (+1) 3

Don't know what the word is, but as much as I've been a vocal critic of Daboll, I want him to stay.

I think his system is great. I just think he's an average to below average play caller. 

But coaches and Coordinators can get better with experience, much like players can.

Plus, ALL of the players seem to absolutely love the Dude after watching exit interviews.

And most importantly, I think it will be sooOOooo huge for Josh to have that continuity with his OC playing in the same system. Now if Daboll improved and maybe even goes back to the no-huddle system we were running 2nd half of the season--but bizarrely abandoned in the Texans game--well I think our QB and offense just might have a helluva year next year... though I'm not predicting anything @Foxx

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1