Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Again I am getting this all very third hand but the guy feeding me the info just said there is a mutual discomfort with the fit on a number of issues that would have to be resolved. 

I would think any coach interviewing with the browns would have some discomfort. Awful lot of personalities in one locker room, and not a great track record as a top notch organization to work for. Hell, they only gave Kitchens one year. That alone is enough to be terrified. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

All very 3rd hand but what I am being told by someone who knows someone is that Daboll is very much still in the mix. No decision yet. Stefanski also still in the mix (and possibly one other) but McDaniels unlikely to get the job. 

I think their top 3 is Stefanski, Saleh, and Daboll. Stefanski amd Saleh seems to be the 2 favorites with Daboll being the sleeper.

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I think their top 3 is Stefanski, Saleh, and Daboll. Stefanski amd Saleh seems to be the 2 favorites with Daboll being the sleeper.

If I was a betting man I'd bet on Stefanski. What everyone is saying about Daboll though is he was extremely impressive at interview and extremely prepared. I wonder how much working with McDermott rubbed off in that regard? 

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Forget the Vikings OC and the 49ers DC.

The guy the Browns should be looking at is the Titans OC Arthur Smith.

I think they should hire Greg William's.  He changed the culture of the team and held players accountable when he was the interim.  That is exactly what the Brown's very talented but undisciplined roster needs. 

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Forget the Vikings OC and the 49ers DC.

The guy the Browns should be looking at is the Titans OC Arthur Smith.

Appears to be a good play caller but no idea if he would be a good HC. The browns need a Strong leader more than a good play caller. Leave that to the OC

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If I was a betting man I'd bet on Stefanski. What everyone is saying about Daboll though is he was extremely impressive at interview and extremely prepared. I wonder how much working with McDermott rubbed off in that regard? 

And Saban before that, and Belichick before that. He's certainly had planners to learn from

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Tell that all to Brian Daboll against the Texans...

Tell it to the players who didn't execute some really good play calls. Daboll called a good game. Couple of key drops by someone I will not name and a couple of missed blocks. Not to mention a young qb who put on a clown show for a couple of series late in the 4th qtr. Unless you think Daboll should have caught the ball or made blocks out there or not freak out lime Allen did, then blaming Daboll for that texans game is just plain wrong .

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Tell it to the players who didn't execute some really good play calls. Daboll called a good game. Couple of key drops by someone I will not name and a couple of missed blocks. Not to mention a young qb who put on a clown show for a couple of series late in the 4th qtr. Unless you think Daboll should have caught the ball or made blocks out there or not freak out lime Allen did, then blaming Daboll for that texans game is just plain wrong .

Any knowledgeable football fan knows that running a nine pass zero run two minute offense in OT when only a FG is needed to win is coaching malpractice.  But thanks for playing.  

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Any knowledgeable football fan knows that running a nine pass zero run two minute offense in OT when only a FG is needed to win is coaching malpractice.  But thanks for playing.  

Yea, let's excuse Knox  for missing key blocks on a game winning call by Daboll in OT. Of course any play that doesn't work is in the OC. We had that game won, if not for the players. That " thanks for playing" line is weak. Even a person with no knowledge, as you allege, can see players lack of execution. But you're so smart you won't acknowledge the missed assignment that would have would have won the game in ot.

Thanks for playing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What about the Josh Allen power run he called? You know, the one where any one of three Bills players blocks the one Houston defender and the Bills have a sub 50 yard FG to play in Kansas City tonight? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What about the Josh Allen power run he called? You know, the one where any one of three Bills players blocks the one Houston defender and the Bills have a sub 50 yard FG to play in Kansas City tonight? 

Maybe the new Oline coach is the problem instead?

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Maybe the new Oline coach is the problem instead?

So I think there is a legit question about whether the Monday to Friday coaching is good enough. But that, and whether any problems there are can be blamed on teaching of fundamentals (position coaches) or volume and complexity (coordinator and HC) are two questions that frankly I nor any other fan can truly answer. I am not there on the practice field and it requires me to make some big assumptions. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I think there is a legit question about whether the Monday to Friday coaching is good enough. But that, and whether any problems there are can be blamed on teaching of fundamentals (position coaches) or volume and complexity (coordinator and HC) are two questions that frankly I nor any other fan can truly answer. I am not there on the practice field and it requires me to make some big assumptions. 

Yeah, I know its not something anyone can truly answer.  Myself, I am back and forth on Daboll.  I think at times he doesn't call very good plays.  Sure, he calls stuff that could work but is he calling stuff that is right.  Its tough to put how I feel in words.  I actually thought he called a pretty good game last week... until he stopped running the football.  Can't have a one dimensional offense.  Its one thing to do that when you have to.  Its another to do that just because.  I also have a problem with him taking our best players off the field and sprinting Lee Smith and Dimarco out 5 wide.  I don't care how "genius" a play seems... its never genius to take your best football players off the field.

I don't want to go off on a rant.  My feelings on this have been posted in many threads.  I'll just say that I am at the point where I don't care if he is back or not.  There are pros and cons to both.  As for the oline coach comment... it wasn't serious but it was kinda.  Hard to say if the coaching isn't that good or these guys are just too young and or not very talented.  It's hard to believe that 3 guys have a mental error that don't block one dude.  Morse is a vet ffs.  This oline has been swiss cheese all year.

edit to add: It almost seems as if Daboll has taken Tom Brady's 10th year playbook and implemented it year 1.  Like he doesn't understand baby steps.  Just give it to them all now no matter how complex.

Edited by Scott7975