Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I didn't expect Daboll to have any chance at all. I'd still consider him the underdog but this could really happen.

Does anyone know if the browns actually requested permission to interview Schoen?

Or is it just rumored interest? We’ve seen that they requested permission to interview 2 GM candidates connected with Stefanski + Saleh. 

I don’t think GMs should be allowed to be poached this time of year. It’s near the end of their season and they’ll be preparing for playoffs (ie the draft) very soon. I think the way we did it was the best. Got McD, but allowed Beane to finish his job in Carolina, then he get hired afterwards. If I were Beane, I would deny all interviews requested for non-HC jobs until after the draft. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I called Daboll coming after Schoen 

losing Gaine again would be the much better option over losing Schoen or Morgan 

I’m not debating whether or not you are right.......but how did you formulate this opinion.  I’ve read many articles on all three guys.  I’ve watched a short film on Morgan.  Yet I have no clue who the best guy guy is for our team.  

What would your scouting report on Gaine, Schoen and Morgan look like?

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not debating whether or not you are right.......but how did you formulate this opinion.  I’ve read many articles on all three guys.  I’ve watched a short film on Morgan.  Yet I have no clue who the best guy guy is for our team.  

Since you’ve read about them I’m sure you know most of this but...

Gaine and Morgan fill a similar role. Morgan has less experience and was actually Gaine’s replacement when he left to take over the GM mantle in Houston. Their background is in Player Personnel if I’m not mistaken. 

Schoen started out in Carolina as a ticket intern roughly 20 years ago and eventually interned in the scouting department. He worked his way up to a scout with the organization before moving over to Miami and eventually here. His background is more that of a traditional scout. 

I think it depends on what you’re looking for as an organization. Gaine has experience running the whole show, Morgan is the “hot prospect” so to speak and Schoen’s strength would be drafting. I feel we could stand to lose 1 of Gaine or Morgan and wouldn’t necessarily miss a beat because their role/skill set is somewhat redundant... if Schoen goes that’s a bigger loss IMO. We’d probably promote Lake Dawson (another future GM) to a more advanced role to fill Schoen’s spot and Gaine to Assistant GM.

There is SO much talent in this front office it’s unbelievable. I like to compare it to the Boston Red Sox front office that had Theo Epstein, Ben Cherington, Mike Hazen and Jed Hoyer working together. It’s an amazing collection of talent. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

All very 3rd hand but what I am being told by someone who knows someone is that Daboll is very much still in the mix. No decision yet. Stefanski also still in the mix (and possibly one other) but McDaniels unlikely to get the job. 

Edited by GunnerBill

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t want to lose any of these guys just like I didn’t want to lose Gaine the first time, but that’s the nature of the beast. If Gaine is actually any good, which I’m assuming he is, he is likely more untouchable and likely to stick around longer in light of the rumors after his firing in Houston. But...maybe not. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Just under the assumption we have already lost Gaine once. And did just fine that offseason with the draft and UFAs. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

All very 3rd hand but what I am being told by someone who knows someone is that Daboll is very much still in the mix. No decision yet. Stefanski also still in the mix (and possibly one other) but McDaniels unlikely to get the job. 

Any idea why?

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Forget the Vikings OC and the 49ers DC.

The guy the Browns should be looking at is the Titans OC Arthur Smith.

Because he knows enough to run the damn ball!!!! He doesn't throw it all on his QB who he knows isn't ready for it yet!!!

What used to be commonsense is now considered brilliant.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Because he knows enough to run the damn ball!!!! He doesn't throw it all on his QB who he knows isn't ready for it yet!!!

What used to be commonsense is now considered brilliant.

Its not just Derrick Henry and running the ball. The Titans OC took a near washed up QB that few were interested in and made him one of the best QB's in the league this season. Yes, Ryan Tannehill ex Dolphins QB with a 70.3 completion percentage. 

For all those that think that changing an OC will somehow hurt the "continuity" take a long hard look at the Titans for what the right OC can do!  Also, look at what a potent running game can do for an offense! 

Ravens couldn't run that cover zero blitz against the Titans QB, not with Derrick Henry 30 rushes for 195 yards a 6.5 ypc avg. So, tell me again its a passing league...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Its not just Derrick Henry and running the ball. The Titans OC took a near washed up QB that few were interested in and made him one of the best QB's in the league this season. Yes, Ryan Tannehill ex Dolphins QB with a 70.3 completion percentage. 

For all those that think that changing an OC will somehow hurt the "continuity" take a long hard look at the Titans for what the right OC can do!  Also, look at what a potent running game can do for an offense! 

Ravens couldn't run that cover zero blitz against the Titans QB, not with Derrick Henry 30 rushes for 195 yards a 6.5 ypc avg. So, tell me again its a passing league...

but he didn’t throw for 300 so it doesn’t count!

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

But it is about Henry, they feature him and defenses are keying on stopping him, not Tannehill. They never get down much because of the strong running game and a good defense. Playing from ahead is much easier than playing from behind.

Lamar didn't look anything close to what he did during the season, because he had to pass every down and the Titans knew it. He manage to throw up a bunch of yards in garbage time, but he played a really bad game when they were still in it and still had a chance to win.

I've been arguing against the it's still a passing league for 2 years now. But there's a sizable crowd that still would rather see a 300 yard passing game over a 100 yard rushing game. Even though one stat has a about .500 record over the last 2 years and the other has a .725 record. Give me the latter please.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

But it is about Henry, they feature him and defenses are keying on stopping him, not Tannehill. They never get down much because of the strong running game and a good defense. Playing from ahead is much easier than playing from behind.

Tell that all to Brian Daboll against the Texans...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Any idea why?

Again I am getting this all very third hand but the guy feeding me the info just said there is a mutual discomfort with the fit on a number of issues that would have to be resolved. 

Edited by GunnerBill