Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

Sirius Radio NFL Channel just reported Cleveland HC job is down to Josh McDaniels or Kevin Stephanski. Looks like Dabs will be back. Personally I like that JA will have another season in the same system with the same OC. Now we just need to fine tune the play calling and get JA to improve his mechanics and  progression reads.

• Like (+1) 2

The more I thought about it...I’m fine with Daboll coming back....I think mcd will put the pressure on him to score more points...I think the team as whole knows that more points is going to be a requirement to move the needle from last year. Can’t count on the defense from year to year though they have shown to be consistent.

There may be other opportunities out there for him yet. But either way, I doubt some New Guy is going to come in at OC and suddenly it starts raining touchdowns in Buffalo. Another year of Daboll is probably no better or worse than the other options that may be available. What they really need are better pass catchers, a healthy O-line, and some growth from the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sure there was upgrades to daboll out there, but zero guarantee we could of gotten one. It’s not a bad thing for josh to keep growing in this system. I think we sometimes forget even though it’s talked about how many new guys we incorporated into the offense and it was the first year. They really struggled to execute at times and I think that’s a big hinderance to the play calling. Yes he made us all frustrated scratching our heads with bad calls. Nobody gets them all right. I think he can open it up as long as Allen continues to progress. All those 1-2 yard Gore runs can make a difference if we’re getting 3-5 yards instead 

I’m ok with this. While frustrating at times continuity is important. The  players seem to like him and if these guys can gel like the defense has over a few years I think this could be a sweet offense.

i think Daboll is very creative and can develop good plays but he needs to grasp a better feel for the game and how to attack. He dials up some strange calls at crucial times that became driver killers. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm torn between continuity or a fresh approach.  On one hand the talent around Josh is still suspect though improved by leaps from 2018.  On the other hand bizarre personnel usage and continuously out thinking himself seem to be Daboll trademarks.   Maybe year 3 with talent added is the charm.  I think we'll know very early next year.  I did not see a huge change production wise over the course of the year. Games they executed at a very high level the offense was good  Games there were snafus the offense sputtered.  Need to see more explosiveness (talent) Also less of a need to be perfect on every snap to get drives into tds. Really feel the offense is too dink/dunk for Josh Allen's skill set but that may have been the result of the personnel

11 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I'm torn between continuity or a fresh approach.  On one hand the talent around Josh is still suspect though improved by leaps from 2018.  On the other hand bizarre personnel usage and continuously out thinking himself seem to be Daboll trademarks.   Maybe year 3 with talent added is the charm.  I think we'll know very early next year.  I did not see a huge change production wise over the course of the year. Games they executed at a very high level the offense was good  Games there were snafus the offense sputtered.  Need to see more explosiveness (talent) Also less of a need to be perfect on every snap to get drives into tds. Really feel the offense is too dink/dunk for Josh Allen's skill set but that may have been the result of the personnel

I'm ambivalent as well. Sometimes the simple choice is also the wise one. Daboll seems to always want to be too clever by half.

Nonetheless, continuity may help and perhaps a complex offense becomes simpler after folks have lived with it awhile.

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

I think the continuity outweighs 10% of the offense calls being the wrong ones. 

Sure hope so .  Needs to be better with personnel usage  As well as not over thinking things  I always wonder why the jet sweep was not a staple function in every game?  You would think we would attempt it to test the edges at least a couple time per game vs a Frank Gore up the gut run on 2nd down.  I have my fingers crossed we get some elite talent on offense in the offseason to take some pressure off both Josh to execute and Daboll to scheme the perfect play

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the only reason Cleveland keeps floating out that these other guys like Stefanski and saleh are still in the mix for the job is because they don’t know yet if McDaniels will officially accept. They don’t want it to look like any of them are plan B. But they are. 

...LOL...neither does he.....the "Escape Clause" may be tested....stay tuned...........

7 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Thought there was talk Daboll could be McDaniels choice as OC?

Couldn't be a lateral move unless Buffalo allows him to leave, but add “assistant head coach” and it wouldn’t be.

Really? I thought anything other than HC job is a lateral move 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope that right now Daboll, McDermott, and Frazier are sitting in a film room and the others are giving him unvarnished feedback about instances where his play calling appears to confuse our team more than the opponent, and from a defensive POV, just why that is.

I agree.  I think he's here to stay.  And, for some reason, I actually feel confident that he (Daboll) has heard an earful from McDermott and possibly higher up.  The pressure is on Daboll for next season; especially if Beane gets some actual weapons for Allen to work with.

10 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Thought there was talk Daboll could be McDaniels choice as OC?

Couldn't be a lateral move unless Buffalo allows him to leave, but add “assistant head coach” and it wouldn’t be.

They can deny everything but a promotion to head coach. Everything else is considered a lateral move, even if they tried to tack on an “assistant (to the) head coach” title. 

Now, if Daboll came to them and said he wanted to leave, they may still allow it. But I can’t see him doing that. McDaniels would likely call plays, so it would kind of be like taking a demotion. Plus, he’d get more credit for the offense in Buffalo (with a defensive minded head coach) vs Cleveland (with an offensive minded head coach). 

Mort seems to think that Josh to CLE is not going to happen.

Tom Brady very well could have Josh McDaniels as OC again if QB works out future w
@Patriots. If Patriots had beaten Titans, McDaniels would've interviewed w Giants Sunday in Foxboro. Loss altered schedule w Joe Judge going first Monday in NY. McDaniels pushed to Wed. Pushed out.
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Could this fall in our favor with Brian Gaine... Gaine obviously was GM of Texans and came back to Buffalo. A Gaine/Daboll pairing in Cleveland could seem likely. 

This would be the worse part of Daboll leaving for Cleveland, if he took any of our FO people. Dan Morgan comes to mind. Love Morgan to stay in Buffalo for another year or two.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2