Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m still hoping we get to keep Daboll. I really want continuity for Josh and the offense. 

And sure, a new OC May boost Josh’s development. But it also may hinder it.

We don’t know. 

What i do know is that he is developing right now under Brian Daboll. He took a pretty nice step forward this year, and I’d prefer not to mess with what seems to be working. 

If it happens, it happens. But I’m definitely not rooting for it to happen. 

Personally, I think Daboll is nuts if he takes the Browns job, and I don’t really know if he’s ready for it either. I think they need a veteran coach. I thought McCarthy or Rivera would have been perfect for them. I’m hoping McDaniels goes there now, just to disrupt the Patriots as much as possible. 

I won’t be upset either way.

if Daboll comes back it could be a good thing. We’ve heard from a few players that it’s a complex system Daboll runs. Another year in it for pretty much everyone except maybe a lineman and a wide receiver should pay off. If the offense and Allen take similar steps forward next year then I would expect Daboll to get a HC shot for 2021. 

https://twitter.com/dustinfox37/status/1215839450426679298?s=21

they gonna pick the name out of a hat? Rock Paper Scissors? Not even announce it not just send the guy a letter saying “congrats you are the winner of this year’s Browns coaching search!”

• Haha (+1) 1

The fact that the Browns didn't sign anyone just yet tells me they might just be taking a longer look at Stefanski and he might be their guy. JMO Like others have pointed out a lot might depend on how that Vikings offense plays against that 49er defense in San Fran on Sat. 

While others are still in the playoffs, 49ers DC Robert Saleh, Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy, Ravens OC Greg Roman who all have interviewed.

Also, that if Daboll was their guy he would have been hired by now. 

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

From what I see is that Bills OC Brian Daboll was asking Josh Allen to basically carry the offense the entire game. Allen 24 of 26 for 264 yards passing. Allen the leading rusher 9 rushes for 92 yards. one receiving TD. 

Also, Daboll can't figure out a way to make a first by running the ball most times so it all went on Allen. Then on 3rd and 8 Allen gets sacked by Watt dropping back to pass.  On 4th and 27 Allen sacked -19 yards. 

I have preached this all week. Josh was directly involved in 56 plays(46/9/1), while the RBs had 12 carries in the 1st half and 9 carries in the 39 minutes after the half......9. That's 70% of all the plays Josh passed, ran or caught a pass(The only TD). At no point in his career has Josh shown he could carry an offense yet, so why did Duh!boll think think Josh could, playing on the road in his first playoff game? You don't ask a young QB to do that. 

He passed 20 times in the first half vs 12 handoffs, after halftime 26 passes vs 9 handoffs. Not including any of his runs in the second half, that's nearly 75% of all the plays. That's the biggest difference between the 2, he was part of the offense in the first half and asked to be the offense after halftime.

He's a 2nd year QB and all 2nd year QBs have flaws, some more than others. A good OC will know those flaws and protect his young QB in the playoffs, especially his first time. Not expose his flaws by asking him to do too much. 

• Like (+1) 1

Daboll was decent this year; although he also showed he could be too smart for his own good. 

Allen needs to work on film during the offseason, I would hope they spend time together reviewing and talking.   If they both can improve then the 2020 season could be something special,.

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I have preached this all week. Josh was directly involved in 56 plays(46/9/1), while the RBs had 12 carries in the 1st half and 9 carries in the 39 minutes after the half......9. That's 70% of all the plays Josh passed, ran or caught a pass(The only TD). At no point in his career has Josh shown he could carry an offense yet, so why did Duh!boll think think Josh could, playing on the road in his first playoff game? You don't ask a young QB to do that. 

He passed 20 times in the first half vs 12 handoffs, after halftime 26 passes vs 9 handoffs. Not including any of his runs in the second half, that's nearly 75% of all the plays. That's the biggest difference between the 2, he was part of the offense in the first half and asked to be the offense after halftime.

He's a 2nd year QB and all 2nd year QBs have flaws, some more than others. A good OC will know those flaws and protect his young QB in the playoffs, especially his first time. Not expose his flaws by asking him to do too much. 

Yep, this is exactly why I'm hoping he goes to Cleveland. 

(Literally laughed out loud at that bolded.) 

I had a typo, with Allen 24 of 26 when it should have been 24 of 48 passes. 

McD throws Allen sorta under the bus by saying Allen tried to do too much...kinda why I'm souring on McD at this point.  I don't think he has one clue on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

Daboll was decent this year; although he also showed he could be too smart for his own good. 

Allen needs to work on film during the offseason, I would hope they spend time together reviewing and talking.   If they both can improve then the 2020 season could be something special,.

I don't think the coaches are allowed to contact players for football reasons during the offseason.

Daboll can Facetime Josh to say "Hi" when he's bored

He could probably share a pizza with him if they're visiting the same town

They can't review film and talk - not officially anyway

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/15/jon-gruden-isnt-fond-of-rules-limiting-contact-with-players-in-offseason/

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't know what the word is, but as much as I've been a vocal critic of Daboll, I want him to stay.

I think his system is great. I just think he's an average to below average play caller. 

But coaches and Coordinators can get better with experience, much like players can.

Plus, ALL of the players seem to absolutely love the Dude after watching exit interviews.

And most importantly, I think it will be sooOOooo huge for Josh to have that continuity with his OC playing in the same system. Now if Daboll improved and maybe even goes back to the no-huddle system we were running 2nd half of the season--but bizarrely abandoned in the Texans game--well I think our QB and offense just might have a helluva year next year... though I'm not predicting anything @Foxx

No, we left the no huddle after the ravens ran us over and i believe McDermott told him to go back to the slow huddle, no OC wants to dial it back. Going slow has its place when burning clock at the end of the game but other than that hammer down.

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Break it down to the first half. 21 passes, 13 runs and Allen accounted for 3 of those runs.

Second half,  

3rd Next series,(1 pass, 3 runs with Allen left end for 19 yards and a first down.) Pass, run, run, Punt!

3rd Next series, (3 passes, 1 sack, 4 runs.) 1st, run, pass, Allen run, run, pass, run, sack -8 yards, Punt! One Allen run.

3rd /4th Next series, (4 passes, 1 sack, fumble) pass, pass, pass, pass sack fumble. turnover.

Next series, (2 passes, 1 run) Run, pass, pass, Punt!

Next series, (3 passes, 4 runs, sack) Pass, run, run, run, pass, run, pass, sack-14 yards on 4th down.

Next series, (9 passes, 1 run by Allen 18 yards) Run, pass, pass, pass, pass pass, pass, pass, pass, FG. 

Next series, OT (7 passes, 3 runs all by Allen) run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, run, pass. Punt. 

29 passes, 16 runs with 6 by Allen. Only 10 runs between Gore, Singletary all half.  In fact, Singletary only touched the ball on a run 3 times in the 4th quarter and no runs in OT.

From what I see is that Bills OC Brian Daboll was asking Josh Allen to basically carry the offense the entire game. Allen 24 of 46* for 264 yards passing. Allen the leading rusher 9 rushes for 92 yards. one receiving TD. 

Also, Daboll can't figure out a way to make a first by running the ball most times so it all went on Allen. Then on 3rd and 8 Allen gets sacked by Watt dropping back to pass.  On 4th and 27 Allen sacked -19 yards. 

Opps, said 26.

Ask him to do all that, then after the game say he tried to do too much. Ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, the skycap said:

excellent !! despite Fans obsession over his play calling as the the reason for the offensive failures , he is a good schemer and except for few  plays calls a good game, to which no one calls a perfect game, the failures are from player execution across the whole offense .

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

excellent !! despite Fans obsession over his play calling as the the reason for the offensive failures , he is a good schemer and except for few  plays calls a good game, to which no one calls a perfect game, the failures are from player execution across the whole offense .

26 passes and only 9 handoffs after halftime is calling a good game? Especially with a young QB playing in his first playoff game. We had the lead for almost the entire second half, Houston didn't take the lead until 4:37 mark of the fourth quarter. 2 handoffs from the 7:28 mark of the 3rd quarter till the end of the game. That's 34 minutes and 8 seconds.......OVER A HALF!!! Not a single handoff on the 9 play OT drive. That's not calling a good game, it's massacring it. All the razzle-dazzle in the world isn't going to make up for that play calling. Too bad Cleveland doesn't want him, I wonder if the Pegulas would throw in some money to sweeten the deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the only reason Cleveland keeps floating out that these other guys like Stefanski and saleh are still in the mix for the job is because they don’t know yet if McDaniels will officially accept. They don’t want it to look like any of them are plan B. But they are. 

34 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Could this fall in our favor with Brian Gaine... Gaine obviously was GM of Texans and came back to Buffalo. A Gaine/Daboll pairing in Cleveland could seem likely. 

Why would losing Brian Gaine again be considered to fall in our favor?

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the only reason Cleveland keeps floating out that these other guys like Stefanski and saleh are still in the mix for the job is because they don’t know yet if McDaniels will officially accept. They don’t want it to look like any of them are plan B. But they are. 

What about all the conditions McDaniel is reputed to demand?

23 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

IS HE GONE YET ?

Image result for newmen gif"

Imgur

I could be wrong, I often am....but for better or worse I think we see Daboll next season.

I hope that right now Daboll, McDermott, and Frazier are sitting in a film room and the others are giving him unvarnished feedback about instances where his play calling appears to confuse our team more than the opponent, and from a defensive POV, just why that is.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why would losing Brian Gaine again be considered to fall in our favor?

What about all the conditions McDaniel is reputed to demand?

I think that they will try as hard as possible to meet his demands. I think depodesta will be gone next week (contract is up). I don’t have any inside info. It’s just what I think based on observation. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that they will try as hard as possible to meet his demands. I think depodesta will be gone next week (contract is up). I don’t have any inside info. It’s just what I think based on observation. 

Do you think it's true he would demand control of the roster like he had in Denver and that they would give it to him?

I think that all head coaches have Egos.  I think it's the flip side of whatever it takes to be able to successfully stand in that job.  But making it bigger, and taking away any check and balance, would have to be considered one big reason why McDaniel flamed out in Denver.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think it's true he would demand control of the roster like he had in Denver and that they would give it to him?

I think that all head coaches have Egos.  I think it's the flip side of whatever it takes to be able to successfully stand in that job.  But making it bigger, and taking away any check and balance, would have to be considered one big reason why McDaniel flamed out in Denver.

No, I don’t think that’s actually what he wants. I just think he wants an organizational structure that mirrors what he thinks will work.  I also think the roster control part of the whole coach/GM dynamic when hired is typically overblown. It’s not about who has ultimate say over the 53. It’s about whether the two can work in synch and share the same vision and plan of building the team. Jmo