Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, syhuang said:

well OBJ was at Berea today unless there are a lot of Browns Orange Rolls Royces Cruising around Cleveland 

WGR reporting Daboll Not a finalist 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So you think lining Smith & DiMarco up as your 2 wideouts and having them both run deep routes is a good idea? The only other option on the play was Singletary who was covered short. 

Some people are killing Josh for the pass to DiMarco on this play, but with 2 slow guys, who were running deep & double covered on the play, Singletary was blanketed short and the Texans had a spy on Josh, what was he to do. For the record the pass was on the money to DiMarco, who jumped way too soon for the pass.

This play is the perfect example of Duhboll out smarting himself, rather than his opponent. He has some good calls also, but way too many of these for my liking. Smith, DiMarco, Kroft & Gore should've rarely, if ever, seen the field. I would've rather run Singletary till he puked and had Knox & Sweeney play every down for the TE position. DiMarco is worthless on this team, in this offense.

That pass was thrown up for grabs to a fullback who was double covered.  I can’t see how anyone defenses that decision.  Josh had better options like Brown who came open underneath.  Or simply running the ball and seeing what he could do against the spy with or without blockers.  And he had OL that looked back at him he could’ve sent ahead to block. 

• Like (+1) 2

Looks like daboll is gonna stay with the bills. As frustrating as daboll is at times, I believe this is good for Allen. If the bills continue to get better and the offense improves next season, I'm sure daboll will have more opportunities next year 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's no question in my mind that Daboll is a very very very smart man who works extremely hard.

Which begs the question why he would repeatedly call plays that repeatedly don't have the needed result.

You know who is another very very very smart man who works extremely hard...is actually quite brilliant and knows NFL offenses like no other?

Chucky! That's right, Jon Gruden. He is he demanding type of HC/OC that wants his QB to be brilliant right along with him and know the play book backwards and forwards. So, at some point in a game he can call some obscure play from the back page of the playbook that the defense won't expect.

Kinda the reason why he did so well with QB Rich Gannon and Gannon did so well under him. Or even QB Brad Johnson who was also a seasoned veteran. One thing to note, as smart as Gruden is, he has never developed a rookie QB from the start. Chan Gailey is another OC/HC who never developed a rookie, young QB and relied on a veteran QB like Fitz to run his offense.

Brian Daboll reminds me of Gruden who needs a very smart, seasoned veteran QB to run his offense or otherwise it fails...and even then, the offense is often at times so complicated that all the other players on offense can't seem to get it to work properly.  

Bill Parcells offensive philosophy was to keep it simple. He would go over the offensive game plan each week and throw out all but around 25 offensive plays and tell his OCs to focus on making them work to perfection. Ex Green bay, Seattle HC Mike Holgren was also a perfectionist who would work an offense over and over until they got it right. Which is something I highly doubt Brian Daboll does considering Josh Allen's deep ball completion percentage. 

To those Bills fans thinking that losing Brian Daboll will somehow hinder Josh Allen's growth as a QB are very mistaken in my view. Should Allen get a new OC like a Pat Shurmer, Jim Caldwell, or even Bills QB coach Ken Dorsey. My take is the Bills offense would improve greatly as a result. 

If I'm the guy picking between Daboll, McDaniel's or Stefanski. I'd pick the later of the three. Although, I'm hoping that Daboll gets the Browns HC job. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd tend to agree with you on this, except it's been stated by multiple players that Daboll's offense is the most complicated they've ever been a part of.

Maybe it would help Josh to have a new OC with a simpler offense? Shurmur worked wonders with Daniel Jones this year.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Normally I would tend to agree with you on this particular point.  HOWEVER, all the players have stated that Daboll runs the most difficult and complicated offense they have ever experienced.  

So, I am not so sure the switch would be as difficult in this situation.  On one hand he stays in an offense he knows, yet its still difficult and overly complex and Josh is still a QB learning the nuances of the game.  Then on the other hand, you have a new offense he has to get accustomed to yet may not be so difficult to grasp and master.  

Feels like a bit of a trade off potentially, so the adjustment may not be extreme and could work out even better as the season progresses next year.  But that is also a wildcard statement given we don't have any idea who would replace Daboll and how difficult of an offense it would be to learn.  Just basing this on how the extremes veteran players have gone to describe how complicated Daboll's system is to learn and assuming the next OC's wont be nearly as hard.

Yeah, these are both good points.

The way I see it is this. A lot of OCs in recent times have altered schemes and tailor made the to hide their young QB's faults and accentuate their strengths. This enables the QB to experience success earlier than they normally would. I think this is fan's biggest problem with Daboll, he hasn't done this with Josh.

I might be the only one, but I prefer it the way Daboll has done it, at least for this team. We've seen too many times a young QB comes in and the OC protects him and he's pretty good the first few years and then bam, he hits a wall and never develops much further. Particularly with running QBs. Daboll hasn't simplified anything, he makes Josh get to the LoS, look at the D, make the OL adjustments and alter the play and then drop back and run a, mostly, pro style offense from the pocket. Occasionally he'll mix in some running plays for Allen (usually in the red zone) but for the most part he has taken the training wheels off and let Allen sink or swim, like an old school OC used to do with their QBs, which is why it used to take QBs 3-5 years to develop.

The Bills knew that their window for the SB wasn't in Allen's first two years, so why not teach the kid how to play honest to goodness QB in the NFL right off the bat. Particularly with a kid that's so raw and hasn't had any real coaching thus far in his QB career. Not only that, he's doing it with a multiple scheme where Allen can't get comfortable with a base set. It changes game to game. I'll admit, it's not the way to win games immediately but it's the best way to prepare your QB for the future. Yet just when that future is about to get here we change OC's? Ugh, that's the last thing I want to do at this point.

Go back and look at Allen's Wyoming tape. He was a totally different QB. They have molded this kid these past two years into a reasonable starter and I believe if they stay the course he has a chance to become a good to very good QB. if they change OCs and Allen back slides next year Josh might not get a 4th season in Buffalo, who knows.

Again, Daboll isn't perfect and he has his flaws. He sometimes let's the game get away from him and they're a tad conservative in certain situations for my taste. But overall I think he's been a good instructor for Allen and a big reason he's made the strides he has.

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

McDaniel's is a bit of a squirrel as a HC and he proved this when he took the Denver job. Getting rid of Jay Cutler, drafting Tim Tebow. He might not like Baker Mayfield, who knows?

Or, perhaps he wants a contract like the one the Panthers just gave Matt Rhule? Seven years, 60 mill? 

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

McDaniel's is a bit of a squirrel as a HC and he proved this when he took the Denver job. Getting rid of Jay Cutler, drafting Tim Tebow. He might not like Baker Mayfield, who knows?

Or, perhaps he wants a contract like the one the Panthers just gave Matt Rhule? Seven years, 60 mill? 

not perhaps he came in like an arrogant patriot and Browns said yeah we will call you. 

brining you’re wife to the interview is ULTIMATE ARROGANCE 

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Everyone is assuming he loves Baker because he was the one who attended his predraft workout in Norman. It’s possible he was simply the one to attend, and we don’t actually  know whether he loves him, likes him, is Indifferent or hates him. He also has 2 years of nfl Baker to assess after that and most of it is pretty terrible. Just saying. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am so torn if I want to hear Daboll was offered the job, or if I should be sad if Daboll was offered the job.

Honestly, I am pretty meh on it. I'd prefer he go, but whatever. My only concern if there is one is that McD picks up someone who is actually worse. Dabols player utilization and play calling is nothing to be desired. But like I said, I'm okay either way. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am so torn if I want to hear Daboll was offered the job, or if I should be sad if Daboll was offered the job.

I don’t want Daboll to leave. Want him to stay for another year just for keep continuity and development of Josh Allen. But he has to correct issues and open up the play book. 

• Like (+1) 1