Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

If the Browns do hire McDaniels, how does that effect Brady's decision to look for a new team? 

No idea for sure, but speculation on this seems pretty straightforward. The Pats lost in the WC round and look to be fading, their Specials coach and now maybe their OC/QB coach is gone.  Plus who know who goes along to The CLE with McD if this gets inked?  Seems like the time to move on to me, but who knows what’s going on with Brady?  To me I think it’s time for him to hang them up.  He looks done.  The Colts might be a nice fit for him for a year while the find another QB, but I can’t imagine uprooting his family for that - or Giselle wanting to hang out in Indy for longer than to watch a road game and have dinner at St. Elmo’s.

I'm torn here. I really do think we'd be better off finding an OC like Roman or Lynn who could build a top notch running game with a revamped line and another back so we're not asking Josh to finish 59 plays in a playoff game (or any game). But is that OC available?  Who is he? I don't have those answers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The window was still open in NE and he makes 4 mill/he there as an OC. Now the window is starting to shut and Cleveland is his hometown team. There is pull there from that standpoint that wasn’t there with Indy. His family is in NE Ohio and from what I understand, so is his wife’s. 

Hmmm, good point about it being his home town, but it still doesnt make much sense from a career perspective. Unless he sees the transition he was promised in New England not going as smoothly as they hoped... Probably better for him to NOT inherit that team, since if it doesnt stay #1 (which it already isnt) the blame will land on him.

Interesting. And again, love seeing the rats jumping from the sinking ship in New England.

I'd be torn if Daboll is the guy. I love the continuity. I respect his knowledge and experience but I also feel the grass is greener and another OC can better utilize the unique skillset of Allen. 

Also , Dabol repeatedly looked like he lost the feel for games, had no rythm on O at critical times and is a huge reason we aren't playing this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 2

I am a big fan of continuity.  So I would not hate it if Daboll was still a Bill next year strictly due to that ONLY reason.  

But in terms of continuity...Daboll sucks at this in season in his offensive schemes and play calling.  Like I have said before, he is two different people...one that looks brilliant at times...and another thats a total moron who looks like he has no idea what he is doing.  So, for me, even though we lose continuity in terms of the coach, I feel a better OC can bring more week to week continuity in our use of personnel, game plan, adjustments, etc.  

At the end of the day, I think Daboll's biggest flaw is he seems to try way too hard to be seen as some sort of mad scientist or genius.  I don't know if its ego, because he wants attention for a job, wanting to show himself to be a mastermind like many of the big coaches he worked with were, a combo of all of those things, etc.  But at times he looks like he is more focused on looking brilliant than he is calling the right plays.  And when it works, he does look brilliant...but he does it so much and it doesn't work enough that I feel that its actually cost us some games, including the playoff game.  

Third and short and he runs a 5'8" WR 25 yards down field?  Less than 30 seconds at end of half of a playoff game with 1 timeout inside Redzone on 2nd and 10 and you run a draw with a 36 year old RB?  I could go on and on, as I am sure we all can.  But for me, I want someone who CONSISTENTLY puts our players in the best position to succeed and best utilizes the skills sets and talents of the personnel CONSISTENTLY.  

Please hire Daboll Cleveland.  I am sorry Josh Allen, I am a big believer in you and I know you say Daboll is your favorite OC of all time...but we need a guy in here who will you take this offense to the next level by making sound decisions week to week and throughout the game.    

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

While you make some valid points he also did it with Alex smith who can run, but not like the guys you mentioned. In 2011 they went 13-3 and smith didn’t run much at all. 
Our buddy Gore ran quite a bit.  
It’s not all about the quarterback, helps they can run but it’s all misdirection and Baker isn’t exactly a statue he can run when needed 

Don't forget that Harbaugh is a pretty good offensive mind too.  They also ran an offense by committee where the plays ran through 3 different people.

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Why, why, why would McDaniels ghost the Colts just to take a job with the Browns 2 years later?

I get ownership in Indy isnt great, but it's better than Cleveland. He still had Luck there at the time... I thought he was promised to be the heir apparent in New England and would stay until he got the job...

This is very confusing. Great for us to have the Pats lose more staff. But still very confusing.

I wonder this as well.  

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'd be torn if Daboll is the guy. I love the continuity. I respect his knowledge and experience but I also feel the grass is greener and another OC can better utilize the unique skillset of Allen. 

Also , Dabol repeatedly looked like he lost the feel for games, had no rythm on O at critical times and is a huge reason we aren't playing this weekend. 

Imo the last thing Allen needs to be worried about this offseason is learning a new playbook. That is not going to help him progress with the things he struggles with.

Allen struggles a lot with quickly diagnosing what the D is doing and figuring out where he needs to go within the offense. This isn't going to improve if its a new offense. He’ll be even slower in his recognition of his proper read and outlet. The better he knows an offense the quicker he’ll be. 

Im not saying Daboll doesn't have his faults but the biggest issue with the offense being consistent is Allen knowing where to go with the ball, getting his platform set and firing a good ball. Plays are there to be made time and time again and the players aren’t making them with the regularity they need to. 

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Lining up Demarco or Smith wide helps identify the coverage for his young raw QB. If a LB goes with one of them, its probably man coverage. if not, its probably a zone

Well, no - that's the effect of sending a man in motion, or of lining up guys wide in general.

But those guys don't need to be Dimarco and Smith, right?

How is that not setting up Josh to succeed? 

It's not setting the Bills up to succeed IMO because it's neither putting the most talented offensive players with the best chance to make an offensive play on the field.

It's not setting Josh up to succeed because it doesn't allow him to focus reps on the best players during the week.

I wont try to defend running Gore so much. That probably comes from the HC more than the OC IMO

You got any evidence on that one?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MDH said:

Imo the last thing Allen needs to be worried about this offseason is learning a new playbook. That is not going to help him progress with the things he struggles with.

Allen struggles a lot with quickly diagnosing what the D is doing and figuring out where he needs to go within the offense. This isn't going to improve if its a new offense. He’ll be even slower in his recognition of his proper read and outlet. The better he knows an offense the quicker he’ll be. 

Im not saying Daboll doesn't have his faults but the biggest issue with the offense being consistent is Allen knowing where to go with the ball, getting his platform set and firing a good ball. Plays are there to be made time and time again and the players aren’t making them with the regularity they need to. 

I'd tend to agree with you on this, except it's been stated by multiple players that Daboll's offense is the most complicated they've ever been a part of.

Maybe it would help Josh to have a new OC with a simpler offense? Shurmur worked wonders with Daniel Jones this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, no - that's the effect of sending a man in motion, or of lining up guys wide in general.

But those guys don't need to be Dimarco and Smith, right?

It's not setting the Bills up to succeed IMO because it's neither putting the most talented offensive players with the best chance to make an offensive play on the field.

It's not setting Josh up to succeed because it doesn't allow him to focus reps on the best players during the week.

You got any evidence on that one?

Those guys being Dimarco and Smith goes more to the grocery shopper, not the chef IMO

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

Normally I would tend to agree with you on this particular point.  HOWEVER, all the players have stated that Daboll runs the most difficult and complicated offense they have ever experienced.  

So, I am not so sure the switch would be as difficult in this situation.  On one hand he stays in an offense he knows, yet its still difficult and overly complex and Josh is still a QB learning the nuances of the game.  Then on the other hand, you have a new offense he has to get accustomed to yet may not be so difficult to grasp and master.  

Feels like a bit of a trade off potentially, so the adjustment may not be extreme and could work out even better as the season progresses next year.  But that is also a wildcard statement given we don't have any idea who would replace Daboll and how difficult of an offense it would be to learn.  Just basing this on how the extremes veteran players have gone to describe how complicated Daboll's system is to learn and assuming the next OC's wont be nearly as hard.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

He brought his wife, Karen, - who looks like she wants to speak to the manager

Image result for karen meme"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/10/report-josh-mcdaniels-wife-on-trip-to-cleveland-as-well/

McDaniels 2nd gig as HC would be in-ter-rest-ing

I do not know too much about his stint in Denver except that he successfully turned a perennially 8-8 ish team into a 4-12 team, only to watch it bounce back quickly after he moved on.  His year in StL as OC of the Rams was pretty much a disaster.

• Like (+1) 1