Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

Browns fans hate Daboll. Yesterday I was listening to Cleveland sports radio and a guy called in and said he didn’t want Daboll because when he was OC for the Browns, he came into his car dealership and was looking at a new vehicle. He talked to no one but spend considerable time looking at the car - he said he slid underneath the car to check it out in detail. Then he walked up to him and paid full sticker price for it and left with zero negotiation or discussion. The fan felt he was stupid.

I find this hard to believe simply because he would not fit underneath a car. 

• Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

do you think Daboll has sent the Browns a follow-up email yet?

Vic Carucci (Who worked in Cleveland) said that Daboll was at the Browns for the entire day and then some.  He said that they don’t grant day-long interviews for people they aren’t interesting in 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, Wat?  Are you talking about Daboll going to Cleveland to be McDaniel's OC?  That's simply not going to happen.  Daboll is under contract to the Bills as their OC.  They are not gonna release him from that contract to go be an OC somewhere else.

Freeing a guy up to take a step and accept a better opportunity is one thing.  For a lateral move is something else.

Agreed - unless they actually would prefer that he leave. Not saying they do (or I do). 

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Vic Carucci (Who worked in Cleveland) said that Daboll was at the Browns for the entire day and then some.  He said that they don’t grant day-long interviews for people they aren’t interesting in 

We shoulda hired Chan when we had the chance...

Just now, eball said:

I think the fact the Browns are moving forward with their other interviews means Daboll isn't the frontrunner.  If a guy blows you away you don't "complete the process" -- you make the hire.

In this case, they can do whatever they want because they are the only opening left. I still don’t think Daboll gets the job unless everyone else turns it down. 

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think the fact the Browns are moving forward with their other interviews means Daboll isn't the frontrunner.  If a guy blows you away you don't "complete the process" -- you make the hire.

Maybe but that’s not necessarily true. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

In this case, they can do whatever they want because they are the only opening left. I still don’t think Daboll gets the job unless everyone else turns it down. 

Like I said, they wouldn’t waste an entire day interviewing him, if the team wasn’t interested.  I think he has a chance 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Browns fans hate Daboll. Yesterday I was listening to Cleveland sports radio and a guy called in and said he didn’t want Daboll because when he was OC for the Browns, he came into his car dealership and was looking at a new vehicle. He talked to no one but spend considerable time looking at the car - he said he slid underneath the car to check it out in detail. Then he walked up to him and paid full sticker price for it and left with zero negotiation or discussion. The fan felt he was stupid.

That last sentence was writing gold.  I read it in Nick Offerman voice.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Egregious and uncalled for Yolo!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:39 AM, Patrick_Duffy said:

Don't know about Cleveland but he needs to go somewhere.

I am not the biggest Daboll fan, I honestly wouldn't be sad to see him go if the Browns hired him (although it would prove Steven A Smith's theory that mediocre white coaches will always get hired.) But if the Browns or another org doesn't hire him, then I think we are stuck with him for 2020. I don't hate Daboll but he needs to adjust his philosophy and understand how to better play to Josh's and the team's strength. Which he has shown he can do but didn't for a lot of the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:12 PM, Nihilarian said:

Well, the owner in Indy does have a history and perhaps he knew something about Andrew Luck going forward.

To me, Cleveland remains about the most dysfunction organization in the league with no end in sight for those poor fans. 

Washington is a close second and now Carolina is closing that gap with new owner Tepper. 

how could you leave out Jerry?   the NY Giants should also be in your list 

The new owner in Carolina should get a  mulligan for a bit 

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is Allen’s MO more often than not 

Ugh, it was the worst. 4th quarter started and I began thinking, "Alright, he's gonna turn it on now, 4th quarter is where he makes his money, flip that switch my man!" Alas, the switch remained unflipped. Sad trumpets.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, Wat?  Are you talking about Daboll going to Cleveland to be McDaniel's OC?  That's simply not going to happen.  Daboll is under contract to the Bills as their OC.  They are not gonna release him from that contract to go be an OC somewhere else.

Freeing a guy up to take a step and accept a better opportunity is one thing.  For a lateral move is something else.

Lateral move for sure. And on a personal level for him, why would he uproot his family and truck three hours down the 90 to coach in Cleveland? His career has taken him a lot of places but he's coaching in his own backyard now. I highly doubt anything less than an offer for a HC job would make him leave here.