Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

From what I’ve read, it sounds like Cleveland was Daboll’s only interview. That should probably tell you something. Looks like they are just kicking every tire.

Still a potential he could go there as OC with McDaniels and that’s why they are meeting with him 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They can. Will they? 

If Daboll came to me asking to be allowed to go to Cleveland, and I blocked the move knowing that was his desire, I would have to wonder how good the working relationship would be going forward in Buffalo.

For that reason, I think any sensible HC would actually allow the move.

So the real question is: would Daboll prefer a lateral position in Cleveland as opposed to Buffalo?  Would he perceive a brighter future in that organization than in Buffalo?

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They can. Will they? 

Given the development of a very valuable asset - Josh Allen, I would very well think that he would block it for a lateral move.

Plus, why would Daboll do that? I would think he would rather stay and coach for his hometown team then make a lateral move to OC under McDaniels? Why would he want to do that?

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ziegler is the guy he will bring 

I do think that he would. He’s a NE Ohio guy and would look at it as an opportunity to turn the team around. Will want full control 

I didn't know he was a native. Interesting. Inheriting quite the mess though on d and o line and maybe qb (jury is out there).

15 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I didn't know he was a native. Interesting. Inheriting quite the mess though on d and o line and maybe qb (jury is out there).

I don’t think the roster is a great fit for him but I could definitely see him ripping it apart and keeping only certain pieces and rebuilding it. That’s just his style. Ultimately I think it’s a good hire 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

McDaniel's bailed on Indy

Why would he accept Cleveland? 

Ever been at the bar at 2am, when there is only one chick left? She’s fat, and ugly...but she is still a chick, and you are still a dude...

No? Me neither.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Well, the owner in Indy does have a history and perhaps he knew something about Andrew Luck going forward.

To me, Cleveland remains about the most dysfunction organization in the league with no end in sight for those poor fans. 

Washington is a close second and now Carolina is closing that gap with new owner Tepper. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know who I “want” but some available OCs out there are ken whisenhunt, Jay gruden, hue, pat shurmur, Jim Caldwell, Todd Haley. You could also go after a college guy like Joe Brady.

First off I want Daboll to stay if possible.  I'm assuming of course that as more weapons are added and Allen continues to improve Daboll will quit tapping the breaks on the O.  Continuity in developing a young QB is important.  And IMO Daboll's positives at this point outweigh the negatives.

But if he were to go I would love adding Joe Brady as O-coordinator.  What he's done for Burrow & LSU is astonishing. 

I don't see Daboll leaving Buffalo to take the OC job at Cleveland.  He's been in Buffalo 2 seasons and he must be thinking he's on the brink of something special with Allen.  And given Buffalo's CAP room he knows he's getting more talent on the offensive side of the ball next season. 

I also think that there are now real questions about the long tern viability of Mayfield.  That Allen has moved ahead of Baker seems obvious to me.  And while Daboll might like a challenge do you really think he wants to go through fixing a broken young QB after working with a very RAW Allen?  Especially given the fact that Mayfield doesn't seem to be as agreeable as Allen? 

One final thought here is that if Daboll went to Cleveland and the Browns O got better would he really get the credit?  McDanial is highly regarded as an offensive guy and folks are going to whisper that it's really MCDanial and not Daboll.  In contrast any & all improvements in the Bills O is going to be credited to Daboll given that McD is a defensive guy.  

17 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off I want Daboll to stay if possible.  I'm assuming of course that as more weapons are added and Allen continues to improve Daboll will quit tapping the breaks on the O.  Continuity in developing a young QB is important.  And IMO Daboll's positives at this point outweigh the negatives.

But if he were to go I would love adding Joe Brady as O-coordinator.  What he's done for Burrow & LSU is astonishing. 

I don't see Daboll leaving Buffalo to take the OC job at Cleveland.  He's been in Buffalo 2 seasons and he must be thinking he's on the brink of something special with Allen.  And given Buffalo's CAP room he knows he's getting more talent on the offensive side of the ball next season. 

I also think that there are now real questions about the long tern viability of Mayfield.  That Allen has moved ahead of Baker seems obvious to me.  And while Daboll might like a challenge do you really think he wants to go through fixing a broken young QB after working with a very RAW Allen?  Especially given the fact that Mayfield doesn't seem to be as agreeable as Allen? 

One final thought here is that if Daboll went to Cleveland and the Browns O got better would he really get the credit?  McDanial is highly regarded as an offensive guy and folks are going to whisper that it's really MCDanial and not Daboll.  In contrast any & all improvements in the Bills O is going to be credited to Daboll given that McD is a defensive guy. 

Wait, Wat?  Are you talking about Daboll going to Cleveland to be McDaniel's OC?  That's simply not going to happen.  Daboll is under contract to the Bills as their OC.  They are not gonna release him from that contract to go be an OC somewhere else.

Freeing a guy up to take a step and accept a better opportunity is one thing.  For a lateral move is something else.

• Like (+1) 6

48 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Not that I want the Browns to get it right, but they really should be targeting Greg Roman as their HC.  Not only would his offense make Mayfield better overnight, it would also weaken the Ravens, which should be appealing to them.  

I don’t Mayfield fits in a Roman offense in the slightest.  Guys like Roman and Daboll (who is a lot worse) are OCs at best. 

20 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

There’s no certainty that he will accept the Cleveland job.  That’s for obvious reasons.  But I do hear that he had legitimate reasons for bailing on Indy and that they are known by many in the NFL.  I don’t know the specifics on that as the person who told me wouldn’t divulge.  The Browns have two big things going for them with McDaniels though.  1) Haslam is willing to give him pretty much whatever he wants.  2) He is Northeast Ohio born and raised.  He’d love to return the team he grew up rooting for to glory.

We should all know what’s up by Saturday.