Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What do we know about Ken Dorsey's background that would qualify him to be a good OC?

Not much aside from that he’s had input into game plans in both Carolina and Buffalo 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d go hard for Pat Shurmur.... but I suspect they keep the continuity of a bad offense going....

Interesting idea

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He was a QB from 2003-2008. Scout for Carolina from 2011-2012, then became QB coach from 2013-2017. I don't know anything about his offensive philosophy, but I'd say he's probably as qualified as Kellen Moore was (not saying that's how he'd turn out, of course). I think I'd prefer that he stay at QB coach, but I wouldn't be overly ruffled if he got the nod. Assuming the vacancy presents itself. 

I am personally not feeling the Kellen Moore thing.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What do we know about Ken Dorsey's background? 

IF Daboll is hired, could Dorsey step up and then backfill with a new QB coach?

I realize I'm getting ahead of us here.  Obviously a lot of the guys in the locker room think very highly of Daboll, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way to do "more with less" and that part of that is on personnel decisions, play calling, and overall play design.

The Dolphins are trying to move in the direction of a simplified offense with similar terminology and concepts by moving on from Chad O'Shea.  O'Shea has a similar background in some ways to Brian Daboll: he spent 10 years as the Patriots WR coach before being tapped by former Patriots assistant Flores as his OC.

In a lot of ways early on, I saw echoes of Daboll in the Miami Offense.  It was said to be quite complex with Fitzpatrick needing to tell guys where to line up and what to do, and with Rosen floundering to master it.  I think O'Shea might be a guy who, like Daboll, is thoroughly inculcated in the Belicheck "give everything you have to preparation" trees without understanding the forest of "put your best strengths against their weaknesses" and tailoring to the strengths and weaknesses of the players.  Gailey also runs an E-P offense, but showed with Fitz and the Goonies and then with the Jets that he could do "more with less" and that he could simplify and streamline and then build complexity slowly.

Dorsey has been a QB coach with us and the Panthers from 2013 - 2017.  Was a panthers scout before that.

I don’t know that he is ready to be a offensive coordinator without any experience.  Not sure the Bills can afford on-the-job training.

I believe Todd Monken is out there.  Was the Browns coordinator this year and Bucs before that.  

Jim Bob Cooter was the jets RB coach this year and Lions offensive coordinator before that.

Others available 

Matt Cavanaugh - Redskins

Kellen Moore - Cowboys

Mike Shula - Giants.

Cavanaugh has a lot of experience, Moore is too young, Cooter is interesting. 

Not sure who else is out there.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Interesting idea

Pat Shurmur as an OC is one of the true QB Whisperers.  Everywhere he goes, QB who looked like crap in their previous gigs look better. 

Even Manning, believe it or not, was more effective.  I don't think he's a good HC, but I think he's a very good OC.

Which brings me to....assuming the new HC for the Giants brings in his guys, what about Mike Shula?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'd feel too dirty having a shula on the Bills sidelines.

Hard pass.

Take a Bath?

The Giants offense went from #31 to #16 and 18 when Shurmur/Shula took over

The Panthers offense went as Newton went, but was overall good enough to win with while Shula was there.  I didn't think they did enough to protect Newton or to resource the offense, but that might just mean he'd be aligned with what McBeane want to do.

I'd rather have Shurmur of course.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Take a Bath?

The Giants offense went from #31 to #16 and 18 when Shurmur/Shula took over

The Panthers offense went as Newton went, but was overall good enough to win with while Shula was there.  I didn't think they did enough to protect Newton or to resource the offense, but that might just mean he'd be aligned with what McBeane want to do.

The very thought of it all gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Yes, I hate Miami and Don Shula that much. Give me Cooter or give me death!

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's why I'm praying Cleveland hires Daboll. He's gotta go.

I don't know how I feel.  But if he stays, he's got to evolve or we're toast.

Explain to me the Jim-Bob Cooter attraction because I'm not feeling it.  RB coach for the Jets this year who got a career low Y/A out of Bell and masterminded a bottom-of-the-league (bottom third at best) rush game and ran a very pass-heavy offense while in Detroit.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know how I feel.  But if he stays, he's got to evolve or we're toast.

Let's work out those feelings.

Frustration?

Depression?

Flummoxation?

I can tell you my feelings about Daboll: Annoyance. Mainly because he just loves to abandon whatever's working at the moment.