Browns interview Brian Daboll for HC; have interest in pairing with Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen

YoloinOhio

Daboll is pretty hated lately.. But the grass isn’t always greener. Those begging for him to be gone may be even angrier if we end up with someone worse. Yes there’s a lot of worse coordinators and we’re not getting first dibs on interviews either. Coaches are putting together staffs as we speak and if daboll leaves after the playoffs we could end up with some really questionable candidates. 
Daboll may be holding Allen back, but he is not regressing (looking at you baker/kitchens) Could easily end up with a coordinator that not only stunts Allen’s growth but blows his confidence and causes regression and doubt in his game. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I figured Joe Thomas had some clout, but damn!

I remember Greg Roman "complaining" in an interview early in his time with the Bills about how going on long playoff runs with the 49ers hurt his chances of getting hired as HC, even though there were several teams requesting permission to interview. He basically said that by the time the 49ers seasons finally ended, all those teams had already filled the position. Every year, guys like Ron Rivera this year get hired first, often before the first casualties of Wild Card weekend open up more possible coaching options. Guys like Greg Roman (once again) this year and (hopefully) Brian Daboll will still be coaching in games and find it difficult to land a HC gig that they are truly interested in. Playing in February would really hurt Daboll's chances.

Personally, I don't think he's "ready" for the job, anywhere in the NFL. I don't recall him having great rosters/management in Cleveland or Miami as OC, but now it seems he is in a pretty good situation to build something special for the first time. He may want to see it through a bit more, and if the Bills really want to keep him, there's no cap on coaches salaries.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You can argue that, but it's not very convincing. To Gary Busey's point, Allen has progressed from last year. Quite a bit. It's pretty obvious in watching him play this year. If you can't see the difference, not sure what to say. As for the 2nd half, his play in the 2nd half of this season helped us to the playoffs. Josh cut his turnovers down in the 2nd half of this season. He didn't do that on his own. Dabol had a hand in that. The 2nd half of this season is where we played 5 games in a row vs. top 11 defenses. His numbers were not going to blow up playing that 2nd half schedule. I'm happy with the work Dabol is doing with Allen, along with a new oline, all new wrs, all new te's and all new rbs. Not sure how you don't see that. 

They scored 19ppg vs top defenses.  They were bailed out by their own D.

Yes, Josh has gotten better.  But his output is what it is--and it's not leaps and bounds better than last year's 11 starts.  

If you want to say Daboll helped get Josh man incremental bump from last year---ok, have that.  But Daboll has shown noting at all, ever, to give me any hops he will take the (for the Bills) generational talent at QB to the next level.  Daboll may be a nice guy, but he's a nobody as OC.  You want to make him the QB coach?  Ok...sure.

I’m hoping we don’t lose him. It seems like he’s been good for Josh Allen. He’s making progress and I’d prefer not to disturb that. It’s far from a guarantee that the next OC will be as good/better for Allen’s development. 

And ill be pissed if the friggin Browns steal another promising coordinator away from the Bills just to fire him 1-2 seasons from now (like with Pettine, who shouldn’t have been fired). 

Personally, I think they need a veteran coach. The Browns organization isn’t a very good place for on the job training. They don’t seem to provide their coaches with the resources to grow on the job, and I think the Haslam’s have shown that they’re not willing to live with the growing pains that come with rookie head coaches.

I don’t think this is the right job for Daboll... 

But, reading that Haslam and Depodesta are (supposedly) leading the search, I fully expect them to do something totally unexpected. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Pat Shurmer 

Chad O’Shea

Joe Brady (LSU) 

Kellen Moore

to name a few 

Norv Turner anyone???

He got Cam’s completion percentage up big time in the first half of 2018.

Also, I think he may have worked with a few decent young QBs in his day.

Old? Yes! But, the game hasn’t passed him.

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

I’m hoping we don’t lose him. It seems like he’s been good for Josh Allen. He’s making progress and I’d prefer not to disturb that. It’s far from a guarantee that the next OC will be as good/better for Allen’s development. 

And ill be pissed if the friggin Browns steal another promising coordinator away from the Bills just to fire him 1-2 seasons from now (like with Pettine, who shouldn’t have been fired). 

Personally, I think they need a veteran coach. The Browns organization isn’t a very good place for on the job training. They don’t seem to provide their coaches with the resources to grow on the job, and I think the Haslam’s have shown that they’re not willing to live with the growing pains that come with rookie head coaches.

I don’t think this is the right job for Daboll... 

But, reading that Haslam and Depodesta are (supposedly) leading the search, I fully expect them to do something totally unexpected. 

would be smart if they actually listened to him this time. Not listening to him allowed McD to be hired here and NOT In Cleveland. 

DePodesta was pounding the table for McD in Cleveland and lost that power struggle. If they are actually listening to him this time seems Dorsey has lost the power struggle. And actually signs are starting to show that he has. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

would be smart if they actually listened to him this time. Not listening to him allowed McD to be hired here and NOT In Cleveland. 

DePodesta was pounding the table for McD in Cleveland and lost that power struggle. If they are actually listening to him this time seems Dorsey has lost the power struggle. And actually signs are starting to show that he has. 

Over his career as an NFL general manager, Dorsey’s resume is littered with risky decisions. Some — like trading up from No. 27 to No. 10 to select Patrick Mahomes and giving Tyreek Hill a chance in the seventh round — worked out. Others like drafting Antonio Callaway and Marcus Peters haven’t.

The apparent theme when examining his past personnel moves is that collecting talent at the expense of character red flags is notable. The best teams in today’s NFL are the ones that have the right culture and mix of talent — Dorsey has become too focused on adding talent and not being mindful enough of how it all fits together with the right leader. 

Reason I mention Chad O’Shea is it you want Allen to remain in a similar system that he has now this hire makes sense. 

O’Shea will likely become the OC in NE once McDaniels goes to HC somewhere. So system similarities with Daboll and O’Shea 

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Joe Brady. Everyone is going to be after him.

yep they will be. But you make you pitch and see. 

There is still a lot of work to do on the offensive side of the ball. The OL is a work in progress. The WRs are ordinary although I do like JB as a solid #2 and Beasley in slot. The TEs are young and have dropped a lot of balls. I do like Sweeney and think letting go of Jack's nephew was a mistake. Liking what I see from Singletary but the rest of the RBs are a train wreck. Gore is well past prime and of marginal value. Allen is still pretty green and a raw talent that needs seasoning. I hate to throw all of the offenses problems at the feet of the OC. That said, I think Daboll is not utilizing what he has in the best way he can. No team is perfect. I'd like to think we can win with the talent we have and that they can get better.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Norv Turner anyone???

He got Cam’s completion percentage up big time in the first half of 2018.

Also, I think he may have worked with a few decent young QBs in his day.

Old? Yes! But, the game hasn’t passed him.

His son is actually offensive coordinator for Carolina right now while norv is like assistant to the coach or some random title. After Rivera was fired I think his son took over to practice as a coordinator in game situations. 
Norv comes here we will learn the screen game that’s for sure 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope Daboll doesn't get offered a HC job anywhere this coming year.   He's a lot better than some of the opinions thrown out here from the peanut gallery.

The offense is not that far away to taking it to the next level and even though there have been some situations that I didn't like his play calling, the offensive structure and type of plays they ran were ones that resembled a good offense.

If he happens to stick it out another year I predict next year the Bills will have a top 10 offense.

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

@Nihilarian shocked to see this?

You were right as Carolina is also interested in interviewing him. 

Not shocked at all that "Cleveland" would want to interview him. They gave Hue Jackson another year after 1-15, 0-16 seasons. Then hired the teams RB coach in Kitchens who had no experience as a HC. Stupid is what they do...

I wouldn't be shocked if they actually hired him either. Just happy to see him go. :P Daboll is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as he oft times forgets he also has a run game and goes pass happy with a young, inexperienced QB against a strong pass rush. 

The 2019 Buffalo Bills passing offense is 26th in yards, 24th in TDs which is about the norm for this OCs Career. And isn't the passing offense supposedly his specialty with the Patriots play book? 

The Bills run game is more of Allen's incredible physical talent with his 510 yards rushing and 9 TDs. Also Singletary's, Gore's talent as Daboll has about as much innovation in the run game as a clay pigeon. 

Like I said, if Anthony Lynn parts ways with the Chargers I hope the Bills give him a shot as OC. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't think Daboll would take the job - I sure as hell wouldn't. I would wait for a better opp

BREAKING NEWS:

Sources tell me the #Browns have officially offered their open Head Coach position to twobillsdrive.com poster Reed83HOF.

Twobillsdrive poster Reed83HOF has officially turned down the Cleveland Browns head coaching job, per sources. The #Browns search for their next head coach continues.
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1