The backup qb issue

dave mcbride

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Did you watch his throws outside the hashes? He can’t make them; he looked like Peterman without the height. (I say this as a person who likes Barkley.) I realize that by definition backup qbs are gonna be flawed, but lest we forget, Kyle Orton was a backup who could play and certainly make all of the throws. 

Good take. Analyzing a QB isn’t always about who they are playing with, or yards thrown. There is so much more that goes into it. Of course, Barkley wasn’t going to have a great game with our backup WR’s, but there are fundamental abilities he lacks. These issues show regardless of situation. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

The issue has nothing to do with who he is playing with or against. The issue is he cannot throw the requisite passes to be a decent QB in this league. It's always been the case, it's why he was a late round pick, it is why he has been released by 3-4 teams. He is not going to get better, it is why he has 10 TDs and 21 INTS and a 66 rating in his career.

His pocket awareness also leaves a lot to be desired. When forced to play a backup QB, you hope the guy limits mistakes allowing his team to stay in games. Barkley’s inability to feel pressure would make that very difficult. He’s the type of guy who’s going to take terrible sacks, and turn the ball over due to lack of pocket awareness. That’s not the play you want from a backup. Anytime a backup QB makes a play it’s a bonus, what you really ask for is mistake free football. I don’t think Barkley can do that with his arm, and subpar pocket presence. 

• Like (+1) 2

Really? He is a “backup QB” who played with a lot of back ups, nothin to see here, move along.., 

Go Bills!!!

18 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

His pocket awareness also leaves a lot to be desired. When forced to play a backup QB, you hope the guy limits mistakes allowing his team to stay in games. Barkley’s inability to feel pressure would make that very difficult. He’s the type of guy who’s going to take terrible sacks, and turn the ball over due to lack of pocket awareness. That’s not the play you want from a backup. Anytime a backup QB makes a play it’s a bonus, what you really ask for is mistake free football. I don’t think Barkley can do that with his arm, and subpar pocket presence. 

Yep, it's the double whammy. He doesn't have the arm, and he is slow moving. So even when he does feel the pressure he cannot escape well. I didn't think it was a good signing to begin with and have said all this numerous times here, even with the Jet game last year. He's smart, and he is capable of throwing some timing passes. He probably helps Josh. But he cannot play the position well enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Funny that a player who  is physically incapable of playing the position put up 40 + in an NFL game last season.

It happens. Zay Jones caught six balls for 93 yards and two TDs in a game last season. That doesn't mean he is any good or capable of playing his position well in this league either.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The backups made him play that bad?  He's a backup too.

And I read here a week ago that the Jets are simply awful.

Pittsburgh's UDFA 4th string QB played a lot of games with a lot of backups this season...

i get your point but how do you think allen would have done with that supporting cast?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep, it's the double whammy. He doesn't have the arm, and he is slow moving. So even when he does feel the pressure he cannot escape well. I didn't think it was a good signing to begin with and have said all this numerous times here, even with the Jet game last year. He's smart, and he is capable of throwing some timing passes. He probably helps Josh. But he cannot play the position well enough.

He’s not an athlete.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Funny that a player who is physically incapable of playing the position put up 40 + in an NFL game last season.

Read my original post. It is the only good game he has had in his career. And I like the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pay_Poyer said:

The responses to this topic certainly show that the saying is true - the backup qb is the most popular guy in the team. The Bills have the money and with Allen’s playing style they must get a better backup for next year. I realize he was not playing with the starters, but nothing he did yesterday instilled any confidence that he could handle multiple starts in a row. Seems like a good guy, but I think getting another qb to back up Josh has to be on the list of things to do in the offseason 

Barkley is Chroisen

There will be some better options available in the off season with decent experience; Chase Daniels, Case Keenum, Flacco, and some identified in other posts.  We need to remember that we base our opinions on a very limited exposure to Barkley.  The coaching staff has seen him all preseason and everyday in practice.  I trust that they know what needs to be done.  If they need to upgrade, they'll make a move to create a competition in training camp. 

6 hours ago, Beach said:

i dont see him as an issue.  sure he played bad, but he played with all back ups.  

people seem to be forgetting that. he played 2 games so far---with a season worth of not playing between.

he had one great game and one mediocre one. Kinda sounds like someone else on our roster who people are comparing to john elway and bret favre..oi this board

22 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Who cares if he's not an athlete?

What exactly does Allen give us that's so great? 17 points per game maybe?

The Bills have scored an average 20.5 ppg in the 15 games prior to this past Sunday.  They have no particular outlier high-scoring games to skew the average.

56 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

There will be some better options available in the off season with decent experience; Chase Daniels, Case Keenum, Flacco, and some identified in other posts.  We need to remember that we base our opinions on a very limited exposure to Barkley.  The coaching staff has seen him all preseason and everyday in practice.  I trust that they know what needs to be done.  If they need to upgrade, they'll make a move to create a competition in training camp. 

Flacco said straight out he did not enjoy being a backup. 

I would like to see a QB that Josh Allen can take some improvement from.  Case Keenum, last I saw him, was a zip-code-passer who looked great throwing to Theilen and Diggs.