The backup qb issue

dave mcbride

22 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Do you people realize Barkley was playing with BACKUPS? 

It's laughable that anyone would try to evaluate his performance playing with 2nd/3rd stringers. 

Did you watch his throws outside the hashes? He can’t make them; he looked like Peterman without the height. (I say this as a person who likes Barkley.) I realize that by definition backup qbs are gonna be flawed, but lest we forget, Kyle Orton was a backup who could play and certainly make all of the throws. 

• Like (+1) 2

barkley is fine.  one game does not a decision make.   yesterday's game including conditions and offensive lineup were not the best.  give him a week's worth of practice with the starters and all will be well.  

Edited by jethro_tull

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Yeah, he really stinks. Not sure what happened to that guy who put up 30+ on the jets in 2018, but he lost it somewhere along the way. Need an upgrade there next year.

There are reasons Barkley has bounced around the league and we saw some of them yesterday.  The game last season was an outlier.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

This is an issue for the off-season, but as I watched Barkley yesterday, I concluded that this is not a guy that can you to 2-2 over a four-game stretch when the starter goes down. That means he shouldn't be the backup QB, because that ability to get you to 2-2 over that stretch is the baseline requirement of the backup QB. I will admit to being snookered by his once-in-a-lifetime performance against the Jets last season, but man was he godawful yesterday. He had 3 turnovers and should have had 5 (one of which was reversed by a truly terrible officiating decision). He simply can't make all the throws, and he's the sort of player who is going to throw a couple of picks every game in which the score is remotely close because the floating duck is a core part of his repertoire. Plus his multiple slip-ups and staggers led to something like three free TFLs for the Jets.

I'd prefer not to spend a draft pick on a backup prospect. Who is going to be available on the open market next season? The seemingly obvious choices - Dalton, Eli, Rivers, Mariota - are not going to want to be backups in Buffalo (all would of course be major upgrades). Brissett strikes me as an ideal backup,  but he's not available. Anyone have any idea of viable candidates who will be on the market in the spring? (Before anyone gets any ideas, Fitz is under contract next season.) 

I mean, I could see staying with Barkley because he knows the offense and seems like a decent guy, but there's gotta be an upgrade out there, right?

I'm not as freaked out about Barkley as many.  He was really put in an artificial situation yesterday. 

Usually the backup QB gets the starting OL and the starters at RB, WR, and TE.

Usually he also gets the starting defense playing across from him.

One conclusion I have is that I feel better about our defensive depth this year than in 2017 or 2018, but Man! after the starters we fall off a cliff fast on offense, especially at OL.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beach said:

i dont see him as an issue.  sure he played bad, but he played with all back ups.  

The backups made him play that bad?  He's a backup too.

And I read here a week ago that the Jets are simply awful.

33 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Do you people realize Barkley was playing with BACKUPS? 

It's laughable that anyone would try to evaluate his performance playing with 2nd/3rd stringers. 

Pittsburgh's UDFA 4th string QB played a lot of games with a lot of backups this season...

36 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

How do you figure he's not a good QB?

He threw for over 230 yards in awful weather conditions... to put that in perspective Allen typically only throws for maybe 130-150 yds/game.

Right now one could easily make the argument that Barkley is better than Allen. 

Before Week 17 (which scores as a start, but only played 2 series) and accounting for the Q he went out vs the Pats, Allen averaged 209 ypg this season.

His high was 266 in a loss v. Cleveland.  His low was 139 in the win v. Pitts. 

I don't know how to break it to you, but it's un-possible to "typically only throw for maybe 130-150 yds per game" yet average 209 ypg without a couple of major outliers (which are not there)

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Well there you have it.  That's the coach of a 30 INT QB talking.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Obviously I was joking, but this is a great topic and something we entirely need to look at. I like the rapport that he and Allen have, the offseason workouts and such - I do think that counts for a lot, but it is a weak link on this team...

Did Barkley work out with Allen in the off-season?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

A better backup QB should get us over the top. We lost 4 because Frank sucked

No, it's more like that if it weren't for Frank, we wouldn't have made it to four.

I agree with OP that we need to upgrade this position in the offseason.

He's terrible and doesn't have the requisite arm to play in the NFL more than a game or two. He's always been this way and even in his Jet game he didn't show that he could make throws he needed to, he could have been intercepted a few different times. He's not much better than Peterman and has the same problems. He's not mobile enough to avoid the rush, and he is slow. 

• Like (+1) 3

You can't gauge his career as a Bill on 1 game, especially playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers. 

We've already seen what he can do with the first team last year, and he dominated all through preseason.  If I remember correctly he was the best Qb throughout preseason this year. 

It's was a ***** performance, in the pouring rain with a bunch of backups. 

If he does it in real game situations I may have a slightly different opinion. 

Edited by TwistofFate

I'm all for a team with championship aspirations to look to improve anywhere possible.

Yes Barkley was done no favors by the O-line (dreadful), and most skill positions not named Sweeney or Duke, but he looked more like the Barkley the rest of the league knows than the one that wowed Bills fans in New York last year. I'm very interested in an improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

im  surprised  noone  mentioned  the    best  back   up  quarterback  this  year ,  teddy  bridgewater . if im not   mistaken    he  only signed  for  one   year ,    yes  he  would  be  a  bit    more   expensive ,  yes we  have  the  money   and unless he is  prmised  the  starter  job in  NO  he   would be  going to highest  bidder.   there  are a lot  of   fairly  good       veteran    QBs   coming  on the  market . Unfortuneately  most      probably  wouldnt  accept a  back  up position

The issue has nothing to do with who he is playing with or against. The issue is he cannot throw the requisite passes to be a decent QB in this league. It's always been the case, it's why he was a late round pick, it is why he has been released by 3-4 teams. He is not going to get better, it is why he has 10 TDs and 21 INTS and a 66 rating in his career.

• Like (+1) 3