The backup qb issue

dave mcbride

This is an issue for the off-season, but as I watched Barkley yesterday, I concluded that this is not a guy that can you to 2-2 over a four-game stretch when the starter goes down. That means he shouldn't be the backup QB, because that ability to get you to 2-2 over that stretch is the baseline requirement of the backup QB. I will admit to being snookered by his once-in-a-lifetime performance against the Jets last season, but man was he godawful yesterday. He had 3 turnovers and should have had 5 (one of which was reversed by a truly terrible officiating decision). He simply can't make all the throws, and he's the sort of player who is going to throw a couple of picks every game in which the score is remotely close because the floating duck is a core part of his repertoire. Plus his multiple slip-ups and staggers led to something like three free TFLs for the Jets.

I'd prefer not to spend a draft pick on a backup prospect. Who is going to be available on the open market next season? The seemingly obvious choices - Dalton, Eli, Rivers, Mariota - are not going to want to be backups in Buffalo (all would of course be major upgrades). Brissett strikes me as an ideal backup,  but he's not available. Anyone have any idea of viable candidates who will be on the market in the spring? (Before anyone gets any ideas, Fitz is under contract next season.) 

I mean, I could see staying with Barkley because he knows the offense and seems like a decent guy, but there's gotta be an upgrade out there, right?

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Nah, I don't think he can get us to 2-2.B-)

Obviously I was joking, but this is a great topic and something we entirely need to look at. I like the rapport that he and Allen have, the offseason workouts and such - I do think that counts for a lot, but it is a weak link on this team...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beach said:

i dont see him as an issue.  sure he played bad, but he played with all back ups.  

...and when did he last play?......one start in 2018?......think there could be some "ring rust" as well as many new faces in 2019 vs 2018?......naw, TBDers say "he sucks....a goner"......a shocker....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Beach said:

i dont see him as an issue.  sure he played bad, but he played with all back ups.  

I would assume those are the same players he gets his limited reps with during the week?

OP, I agree he was perfect against the Jets. There needs to be an upgrade in the offseason

Just now, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

As mentioned some of the starters were not on the field. He is also only 28 and next season has around a $2 million cap hit/salary. No chance is he going anywhere. 

plow the money into another we and improve the online. 

agreed. You can’t judge him based on a game where he had to play with all the backups. 

• Like (+1) 1

He was bad.    But it looked like part of the poor performance was rust.  Coming in cold in crappy rainy weather, to play with a bunch of other guys who haven't played in live action for months is not easy.    Not that that he was great, but he looked a lot more comfortable in the 2nd half once he and the other back-ups got warmed up.

1st half :  9 attempts for 29 yards,  1 sack, 1 INT 

2nd half: 26 attempts for 202 yards,  no sacks, 1 INT

You could do worse for a back-up QB.  Could do better too. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

If Andy Dalton wasn't too much money and was happy to be back up an mentor Josh, I'd take him. 

Dalton is a solid number 2 that can carve out a nice paycheck in the NFL for the next 4 years or so if he is accepting of that. I would love to have him as our 2. Barclay is so bad I really do not even want him as a 3. 

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

The Bills make the playoffs and now TBD is complaining about backup QB's.............

I do not think most are complaining- it is just a very realistic observation that QB depth will be an area of need this upcoming offseason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

He was bad.    But it looked like part of the poor performance was rust.  Coming in cold in crappy rainy weather, to play with a bunch of other guys who haven't played in live action for months is not easy.    Not that that he was great, but he looked a lot more comfortable in the 2nd half once he and the other back-ups got warmed up.

1st half :  9 attempts for 29 yards,  1 sack, 1 INT 

2nd half: 26 attempts for 202 yards,  no sacks, 1 INT

You could do worse for a back-up QB.  Could do better too. 

He was bad vs NE too. He fumbled twice (one was bizarrely reversed) and the Jets dropped another pick. He cannot make the throws. Yeah, backups played too, but he himself looked like the opposite of an athlete out there.