Was Trading a 3rd For Kelvin Benjamin in 2017 a Good or Bad Move?

Kelvin Benjamin  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Was trading a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin a Good or Bad Idea

• Good
    • Bad

33 minutes ago, BuffaloFan32 said:

Anquan Boldin, Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn were real bums.  How many other schools have produced at least three Walter Payton Man of the Year awards?

Fair point. I guess I was thinking about the Jalen Ramsey, KB, Crab Legs era. My bad for generalizing!

Beanie mistakes...

trading for benjamin wasn’t one of them.  He was familiarto him from carolina

i would have made the trade with Houston instead of KC.

then Buffalo has pick 4 from Houston.

then still trade up to 12 then pick both players and still have 4 picks in 2nd and 3rd rounds instead of 1.

1 hour ago, r00tabaga said:

He kinda helped us win the Indy snow game......which was a huge win that.....well...ended a 17 yr drought.....

I didn’t vote but I’d say that was Beanes biggest whiff.

BB gets B+‘s & A’s on pretty much all other moves.

Corey Coleman.  Still ?.

I can keep going but why - overall I'm in agreement that the Beaner is doing OK

• Like (+1) 1

It was obviously a bad move. Beane gets paid the big bucks to make good decisions, so the fact that it "seemed" like a good trade at the time is irrelevant. He's made plenty of good decisions and the overall trajectory is better than it's been in a long time, but you gotta call a spade a spade.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I think it’s possible for it to be a bad move, and still have been the right move at the time.

Same as the decision to bench Tyrod for Petterpick. 

Some things demand hindsight.

Those two decisions couldn't have been more different.

The Bills had nothing at WR and Benjamin had been a recent 1,000+ yard star receiver and first round pick.

Benjamin just didn't hold up his end of the bargain or he might still be here.

Peterman was a nobody with very little talent.   He hadn't even played well in preseason.   And he was a rookie.?

Peterman COULDN'T hold up his end of the bargain.  

McDermott ended up having to go in front of his team to apologize for the magnitude of the stupidity of the decision.    It was a total panic brain-lock miscalculation with predictably instant disastrous results.    

Well in hind sight it wasn’t good, but really, who would have thought KB would be the mega sloth of NFL receivers? I mean that level of worthless is pretty damn hard to achieve...

But we are past that now, no need to rehash that and other questionable personnel decisions that were over before our last draft, gotta let it go.

Go Bills!!!

It was the right position to target at the deadline in 2017. The team was 5-2 and looking to end a drought. They had 2 third round picks and once again they desperately needed a WR who could command attention and bringing a big body to target was a plus. It obviously didn't work and I was shocked that McBeane knowing KB from Carolina didn't know to stay away from him due to his attitude and poor work ethic. I would qualify it as the right move in philosophy (getting some help to try and break the drought) but it was poor in execution that means it is a mistake. 

I think the Dareus trade was a bigger mistake as I think it basically exposed the run defense the rest of the season (as bad as Dareus played relative to his contract he was still a good run stuffer, he did improve the Jags run defense that season.) I think they should have cut or traded Dareus in the off-season but hey it all worked out the drought was broken. 

Edited by billsfan89

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It was the right position to target at the deadline in 2017. The team was 5-2 and looking to end a drought. They had 2 third round picks and once again they desperately needed a WR who could command attention and bringing a big body to target was a plus. It obviously didn't work and I was shocked that McBeane knowing KB from Carolina didn't know to stay away from him due to his attitude and poor work ethic. I would qualify it as the right move in philosophy (getting some help to try and break the drought) but it was poor in execution that means it is a mistake. 

I think the Dareus trade was a bigger mistake as I think it basically exposed the run defense the rest of the season (as bad as Dareus played relative to his contract he was still a good run stuffer, he did improve the Jags run defense that season.) I think they should have cut or traded Dareus in the off-season but hey it all worked out the drought was broken. 

Do you mean cut or traded in 2017 or 2018?

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Corey Coleman.  Still ?.

I can keep going but why - overall I'm in agreement that the Beaner is doing OK

Didn’t they trade a 7th round pick for Coleman?  Obviously it didn’t work out, but I don’t think trading a 7th rounder for a former 1st round pick with potential is a bad move.  Low rush, high reward

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It was a bad move, but a good risk. I'd rather have a GM that will swing and miss sometimes rather than one too afraid to make a move because they might lose out on the draft pick.

Here's looking at you Botts.  Oh, wrong Buffalo.  My bad

• Like (+1) 1

Hindsight it was bad. At the time it was clear they were trying to inject some life into a completely talent starved room and seemed to be a decent move, but there were red flags everywhere.

Swing and a miss. It happens.

The trade was a wash for both teams.  With the pick Carolina took  Rashaan Gaulden. He lasted a little over a season & a half & was waived.  He's now with the Giants.  Whose to say the Bills would have done better, but one of the best drafting teams over the years, the Baltimore Ravens, had the pick right after Carolina.  One of the reasons the Ravens are the top seed in the AFC this year is because with the pick after Carolina in the 3rd round they took their leading receiver this year, TE Mark Andrews, who led all TEs with 10 TD catches.