Was Trading a 3rd For Kelvin Benjamin in 2017 a Good or Bad Move?

Kelvin Benjamin  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Was trading a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin a Good or Bad Idea

• Good
    • Bad

3 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Both SM and BB had in-depth knowledge on KB.  Not only was this a swing and a miss, but it was a swing and a miss when they knew exactly what pitch was coming.  Not only did the trade cost us a 3rd round pick, but also came with an $8.5M one year deal.  As it turned out, there were much better uses for that cash.  With the pick, Carolina drafted CB Gaulden, who was released earlier this year.  With the following pick, Baltimore drafted Mark Andrews.  Buffalo picked Taron Johnson 20+ picks later in the forth.

I actually think their prior knowledge makes this deal look better for them in a way... KB flamed out large part because he was lazy and never showed a killer mentality. The fact that they knew him previously would indicate that he was not that way before the trade and they based the trade on his talent and what must have been, at the time, a perception of his character that proved false. I think KB was just done with football. 

What is is it about FSU that produces such ***** professional (I mean in how they act) guys?

43 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

He kinda helped us win the Indy snow game......which was a huge win that.....well...ended a 17 yr drought.....

That was my thought as well. Obviously did not turn out well at all but I don't think we win that game without a couple of key catches by KB and without that win (I guess you can say that about any one game in 2017), we don't end the drought that year.

• Like (+1) 1

serious question?  Trade a 3rd round pick and get no production out of it.....let me think LOL

Not all move turn out good, there are a lot of variables.  With Benjamin, he lost his motivation and was just not committed, the talent is there.  It could have worked out well but he is lazy.

Edited by mattynh

If this poll was taken that season the results would definitely be different. 
Similar to duke that season we needed a big bodied guy who could go up and get it. While Benjamin has red flags all over who else could they have landed that was a former first round pick, and had a ridiculously good rookie year and coming off injuries? 
Before all you arm chair gm’s bash it who else were you going to get mid season for a 3rd rounder? 
We were supposed to be like 3-13 bad and were fighting for a wild card and grossly over performing our talent level. 
It was a great trade. It didn’t work out and Benjamin basically quit playing football because he didn’t have the work ethic needed to sustain a career. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I actually think their prior knowledge makes this deal look better for them in a way... KB flamed out large part because he was lazy and never showed a killer mentality. The fact that they knew him previously would indicate that he was not that way before the trade and they based the trade on his talent and what must have been, at the time, a perception of his character that proved false. I think KB was just done with football. 

What is is it about FSU that produces such ***** professional (I mean in how they act) guys?

Anquan Boldin, Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn were real bums.  How many other schools have produced at least three Walter Payton Man of the Year awards?

• Like (+1) 1

Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time it seemed like a good move. It ended as a bad decision because we didn't get enough production from Benjamin to warrant a 3rd rd pick. Win some lose some. I like the gamble, and at the time it made sense. Just didn't work out for us.

It was a knee jerk reaction to the fact that they had sold the team out thinking we were going to tank and we came out of the gate winning.  If we had lost more games they would have never made the trade.  In essence it was admitting they did nothing to help the offense in the off season and were cleaning house.  Like everyone else is saying in "hindsight" they might as well have kept the 3rd round pick and just started Thompson and Jones (as bad as he was).

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

OK so hear me out LOL it was a good move and I’ll tell you why it showed that even though Benjamin was the wrong player the type of receiver was a correct fit as evidenced in Duke Williams 

Let’s get that type of player but better quality and better character for this team next year

What’s so funny about this?

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The results of the poll surprise me until I saw there were only two votes.  My expectations were high on this trade.   Too bad Benjamin did not come close to meeting at least my expectations.  I was hoping he would be that #1 receiver we were looking for and that tall target that we all covet.

I am not upset with the trade.  It was worth a shot.

Hind sight is 20/20.

Foresight is often no worse than 30/20, however...

Simple answer:  Yes, it was a good move.  

1.  Beane proved to the team and fan base he isn’t afraid to be aggressive when in the midst of making the playoffs.  

2.  KB contributed to us snapping the drought.  I don’t think we win the snow bowl without him.  

3.  Snapping the 17 year drought in their first season together (McBeane) was huge.  It gave them credibility, and I have no doubt between that and the growth we should second half of last year with a depleted roster contributed heavily to our ability to attract free agents this past off season.

So while KB wasn’t a long term solution, that move still provided some very important contributions to this team and just can’t be looked at as a mistake in my book.  Especially at the time he made it, KN was an exciting add to a team in the midst of a playoff push and the best available WR at that time.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Simple answer:  Yes, it was a good move.  

1.  Beane proved to the team and fan base he isn’t afraid to be aggressive when in the midst of making the playoffs.  

2.  KB contributed to us snapping the drought.  I don’t think we win the snow bowl without him.  

3.  Snapping the 17 year drought in their first season together (McBeane) was huge.  It gave them credibility, and I have no doubt between that and the growth we should second half of last year with a depleted roster contributed heavily to our ability to attract free agents this past off season.

So while KB wasn’t a long term solution, that move still provided some very important contributions to this team and just can’t be looked at as a mistake in my book.  Especially at the time he made it, KN was an exciting add to a team in the midst of a playoff push and the best available WR at that time.

Thanks for the rational reaponse @Alphadawg7.  We’re both on the same page here.  And so many here are looking at this move in hindsight and not considering why the move was made at the time.