Broncos for sale?

Virgil

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Cliff Notes Version:

Bowlen set up a trust in 2002. Although it is still secret, it is believed that this trust would transfer ownership equally to his children when he died.

Bowlen set up a new trust in 2009. This would transfer ownership to three people, two of which were Broncos employees. One of the employees is CEO Joe Ellis.

Bowlen died of Alzheimers.

The three people are trying to get one of Bowlen's daughters to be set up as the sole owner.

The other kids are fighting this.

They say that Bowlen was showing effects of Alzheimers around 2005.

They say that Ellis recognized this and started to influence an incapacitated Bowlen. Ellis fired many employees who were loyal to Bowlen.

They say that the trust are setting up the one daughter as a figurehead so that the trust can remain in power behind the scenes.

So..........this could get SUPER ugly and go on for quite some time. 

Many lawyers will get to upgrade their ski houses on this one! 

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Cliff Notes Version:

Bowlen set up a trust in 2002. Although it is still secret, it is believed that this trust would transfer ownership equally to his children when he died.

Bowlen set up a new trust in 2009. This would transfer ownership to three people, two of which were Broncos employees. One of the employees is CEO Joe Ellis.

The three people are trying to get one of Bowlen's daughters to be set up as the sole owner.

They say that Ellis recognized this and started to influence an incapacitated Bowlen. Ellis fired many employees who were loyal to Bowlen.

They say that the trust are setting up the one daughter as a figurehead so that the trust can remain in power behind the scenes.

ellis is a trustee not the beneficiary of the trust so he's not becoming an owner. he just has control over who the new principal owner from the 7 kids will be or if the team should just be sold. but he knows if the team is sold he's probably losing his job. 

4 hours ago, Groin said:

Spilled reports of family infighting have been around for the past few years, even before Bowlen's passing.  I'm not surprised that selling the team is being considered as an option. 

However, Denver is a town with deep pockets, and I bet that the team will not be on the market for very long.  As part of their reboot, perhaps John Elway can be exiled to his steakhouse (which, by the way, is pretty good!).

Elway has just weighed in...or is that 'neighed' in?

• Haha (+1) 1

Everything is for sale.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Happens in EVERY family that has this type of wealth. Hence make sure everything is spelled out or your kids are going to fight 

It doesn’t matter matter how big the pot is, there is going to be a fight.

18 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Cliff Notes Version:

Thanks for the summary! Even though I live in Colorado, I have to admit I never had a clear sense of exactly what the dispute was here. This helps ... a lot.

Meanwhile, on the field and on the football braintrust side: Elway has received a lot of well deserved criticism. But it looks to me like they're finally turning things around. Drew Lock looked very promising in his first 5 NFL starts overall (but they're stuck with the horrid Flacco contract too), and there's finally young talent on the offense to go with a still-solid (but likely declining as high priced players leave) defense. Kind of reminds me of the Bills a couple years ago as they dumped awful contracts (Dareus, etc.) and paved the way for a new core to emerge.